share rss forum feed

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA
kudos:11

[TiVo] DC RCN TiVO Q and Preview Launch

This product is going to launch on Tuesday.. however, the codes will open up soon to allow you to schedule your install for that day. I will post here when the codes open to allow you to get first crack.

Don't call yet as the codes are still locked in. I will post here when the D.C. codes open...

Again the details

Q Bundle = 29.99 (includes 1 Q and 1 Preview)
add on extra Previews at 9.95 a month

True Multi Room DVR, You can stream any content recorded on the Q.
--
Jason Nealis,
Sr. Director, Video Product and Video Operations

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

Codes should be open for DC subs to sign up for a Q bundle. Let me if u run into issues.
--
Jason Nealis,

dawk206

join:2010-08-21
Easton, PA
reply to rcnman

not sure if this was asked or not. if a program is recording on the Q, can u play it on the preview and pause it if needed (without it being finished)?

jmirabella
Joe Mirabella
Premium,VIP
join:2003-10-20
Lanham, MD
kudos:5

said by dawk206:

not sure if this was asked or not. if a program is recording on the Q, can u play it on the preview and pause it if needed (without it being finished)?

yes, if you are watching a show that is currently recording on the Q via the preview.. you can rewind/pause/etc..
--
Joe Mirabella
VOD Operations

machpost

join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC
reply to rcnman

said by rcnman:

Codes should be open for DC subs to sign up for a Q bundle. Let me if u run into issues.

No luck here I explained the situation on the phone and was told that while they know the bundle is coming, they can't sign me up for it yet.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

Working it.. do you want someone to call you?

machpost

Washington, DC

PM Sent.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

1 recommendation

If you get it... and your home tomorrow.. I'll make sure your the first RCN customer installed... and I may come out as well
--
Jason Nealis,

machpost

Washington, DC

said by rcnman:

If you get it... and your home tomorrow.. I'll make sure your the first RCN customer installed... and I may come out as well

I'm all set for the install, but it won't be till Friday. Thanks for your help, I'm very excited to play around with it!!!

sydia21

join:2011-11-07
Washington, DC
reply to rcnman

I just called CS to add bundle and she told me I should call back next week as they don't have the codes and she keeps getting errors. I told her that it should be open but she said she couldn't do it.

Jason can you please assist.

Thanks.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

Send me a PM with your info.. and I'll have someone call you..

sydia21

Washington, DC
reply to rcnman

PM sent. Thanks again.

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL
reply to rcnman

»www.multichannel.com/article/476···D_C_.php

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to rcnman

I had everything set up on Friday and I'm loving the multi-room functionality, but I'm also experiencing some strange problems with these two boxes.

First of all, the Preview will not tune channel 603, while it comes in fine on the Q. It just says "searching for signal on this channel..."

And second, with my old TiVo Premiere, I was able to go into the channel line-up menu and uncheck all the duplicate SD channels and channels that I don't subscribe to. I did the same thing on the Preview and the Q, but random channels keep re-checked in the list. I've tried restarting the boxes and that only results in more channels being checked. This is particularly annoying, because if SD duplicates of HD channels are checked, then TiVo seems to default to recording suggestions on those channels instead of their HD counterparts. Is this a CableCard issue?

machpost

Washington, DC

...and random channels continue to be added to my TiVo channel list, even though it hasn't even been in use. While being logged into the TCO Web interface, I can see that even more channels have shown up on the list since this morning.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
Herndon, VA

said by machpost:

...and random channels continue to be added to my TiVo channel list, even though it hasn't even been in use. While being logged into the TCO Web interface, I can see that even more channels have shown up on the list since this morning.

Can I have someone give you a call to discuss?
--
Jason Nealis,

artjohn
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Chevy Chase, MD
reply to rcnman

Is it true that the Tivo Preview (the daughter box) has no digital audio out? In other words, is the audio output limited only to HDMI?

Sadly, that may prove a deal killer for me, as we have not as yet updated all of our audio receivers and TV's to HDMI.
--
Who is wise? The one who learns from all. Ben Zoma

bozzy

join:2009-08-25
Simpsonville, SC
reply to rcnman

said by rcnman:

said by machpost:

This is a known issue with the retail version of the Q (Premiere Elite) as well so it is some type of software bug in 14.9.

machpost

Washington, DC

1 edit
reply to rcnman

said by rcnman:

said by machpost:

Actually, the line-up seems to be remaining stable this evening, so I'll hold off for now unless it's messed up again tomorrow.

As for channel 603 not showing a signal on the Preview, I'm inclined to run Guided Setup again on that box, to see if it fixes things. A message comes up when I go to do this, instructing me not to proceed if the box was set up by a cable provider, unless instructed to do so. Can I safely perform the Guided Setup on my own without running into trouble?

machpost

Washington, DC
reply to bozzy

said by bozzy:

This is a known issue with the retail version of the Q (Premiere Elite) as well so it is some type of software bug in 14.9.

After reading the thread on tivocommunity.com, it sounds like the "zombie channels" issue is pretty widespread, and that TiVo is well aware of it.

artjohn
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Chevy Chase, MD

1 edit
reply to artjohn

"Is it true that the Tivo Preview (the daughter box) has no digital audio out? In other words, is the audio output limited only to HDMI?"

Sadly, it turns out to be TRUE that the only digital audio output on the Tivo Preview is HDMI.

In other words, there is no way to stream Dolby Digital on the TIVO Preview other than HDMI.

IMO lacking S/PDIF or TOSlink audio out, the new Tivo Preview box is of limited application and not a worthy replacement for the existing Tivo Premiere.

sydia21

Washington, DC
reply to rcnman

So... I got my Q bundle installed on the 8th- #1 YAY!! and wanted to post some minor observations as I've havent really had time to play with them in depth due to work.

I have 3 TV's and previously had 2 premieres and one regular dig box. Kept one premiere and added and Q bundle (Q and preview) and couldn't be happier.

Although I pay a little bit more, the ability to stream content vs transferring is worth it. I hated to transfer as my bedroom box was wireless and it went really slowly.

The preview is also really fast and although lacking the true DVR options to pause live tv, it is perfect for my guest bedroom. It would have been more cost effective to get 2 previews instead of keeping the premiere but I needed the ability to pause live tv in the master bedroom (my one gripe about the preview). The extra space on the Q was much needed and now I don't have to constantly delete stuff.

I for one am happy with the choice to take advantage of the Q.