MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Hardly unlimited

I sounds like a great plan for people who don't use the phone that much when outside of the home and maybe the office (where your most likely to have wifi)
But to call a cell service that expects you to use under
550 minutes, 150 texts, and roughly 300 megabytes of data from a cellular data source is bs and no where near unlimited, unlimited wifi means nothing as they don't have to provide that part of the service.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

1 recommendation

jcremin

said by MovieLover76:

unlimited wifi means nothing as they don't have to provide that part of the service.

Sure they do. Well, not the data part, but the texting and voice services need servers and infrastructure. While definitely not a plan for a lot of people who use a lot of minutes while "on the go", there are still plenty that this would work great for.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

I agree that it's an interesting service and may be a very good deal for a lot of people, I just think the terminology is off.
Though I admit after looking at the website, they do explain what they mean by unlimited very clearly.

In any case this is a very novel service and a welcome entry into the wireless market.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
said by jcremin:

said by MovieLover76:

unlimited wifi means nothing as they don't have to provide that part of the service.

Sure they do. Well, not the data part, but the texting and voice services need servers and infrastructure. While definitely not a plan for a lot of people who use a lot of minutes while "on the go", there are still plenty that this would work great for.

This plan would work fine for the great majority of users. If you are "on the road" all the time and need to be constantly in touch for your business, your company is paying the bill and you don't need this plan.
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by FFH5:

If you are "on the road" all the time and need to be constantly in touch for your business, your company is paying the bill and you don't need this plan.

Well, I am self employed, so "my company" is still me paying the bill.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76
They have to provide the SIP trunking etc. for the VoIP side, so it isn't exactly "nothing." Also, the service honestly isn't badly priced for what you get even if you count only cellular minutes.
iansltx

iansltx to jcremin

to jcremin
So get a $45 unlimited voice, text and data plan from Straight Talk with almost the same phone (just with a keyboard) and the same network, without the requirement for spending much of your time on cellular.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13 to jcremin

to jcremin
Can't you just "write it off"?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· RqH7sRyA
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by talz13:

Can't you just "write it off"?

Funny, when we (my business partner and I) were first starting our company, I was beginning to explain to her how "write offs" worked. First things out of her mouth: "So we can go to Hawaii and just write it off so it doesn't cost anything". I was like: "Um, not exactly, I mean, we still have to be able to pay for the trip and only saves us a little in taxes, it's not like it is free!" lol.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

1 recommendation

bobjohnson to MovieLover76

Premium Member

to MovieLover76
Sounds to me like a home phone replacement that you can take with you for $19 a month. Good idea that will probably work well for alot of people.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to MovieLover76

Premium Member

to MovieLover76
said by MovieLover76:

I sounds like a great plan for people who don't use the phone that much when outside of the home and maybe the office (where your most likely to have wifi)
But to call a cell service that expects you to use under
550 minutes, 150 texts, and roughly 300 megabytes of data from a cellular data source is bs and no where near unlimited, unlimited wifi means nothing as they don't have to provide that part of the service.

I wonder why so few SMS. They must be getting a bad deal from Sprint on these....
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to iansltx

to iansltx
What this does is make folks like Vonage look horribly, horribly overpriced. MagicJack is still less for a pure VOIP play but $19 is a great price considering the cell "anywhere/anytime" minutes you get on Sprint's network.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Particularly since MagicJack won't connect calls to certain locations, and I guarantee that this service will.

But yeah, makes Vonage look ridiculously overpriced. Same with cable VoIP. Same with landlines in general.
BikeHelmet
join:2010-04-15

BikeHelmet to jcremin

to jcremin
said by jcremin:

Funny, when we (my business partner and I) were first starting our company, I was beginning to explain to her how "write offs" worked. First things out of her mouth: "So we can go to Hawaii and just write it off so it doesn't cost anything". I was like: "Um, not exactly, I mean, we still have to be able to pay for the trip and only saves us a little in taxes, it's not like it is free!" lol.

To be fair, lots of people learn off people that word things very sloppily. My father always said "You can write off costs to your business and get your money back."

You most definitely do not get your money back. I figured it out easily enough, but more proper wording would've been "You don't pay income tax on what you write off. Sometimes it drops you a tax bracket, saving you even more money."

Of course, the government still gets its taxes. If you buy something, it's sales tax. If you pay someone, they pay income tax.

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098 to rradina

to rradina
Just to play devil's advocate here, doesn't Vonage give you the equipment for free, versus this plan where the user buys the phone upfront? I would think there is more hardware recoup in Vonage's fees than in Republic's.