uniqs
share rss forum feed

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

2 edits
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: DCX3400 box for sale on craigslist

well what about the FCC LAW saying that the cable CO must trun on a cable card box?

It's sounds like someone needs to push the issue and make a test case in the courts.

There are more then a few laws that cover differs parts of this.

But any one how says all boxes out there are stolen is wrong.

Even if the boxes has a comcast logo on it if you have payed the unreturned fee you own it. It's just like a hotel where they say if you take X from the home we will bill you X and you pay you own it.

Now that maybe a other test case rent a cable box don't return it pay the fee and then say I own the box and it has a cable card slot so under FCC LAW YOU MUST TRUN IT ON / GIVE ME A WORKING CABLE CARD.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
said by Joe12345678:

Now that maybe a other test case rent a cable box don't return it pay the fee and then say I own the box and it has a cable card slot so under FCC LAW YOU MUST TRUN IT ON / GIVE ME A WORKING CABLE CARD.

What does the FCC say about the software on the box or the software needed to operate on the cable system?

Wonder how billing for licensing of iGuide, VOD client software, and other client software running on the box works if a customer is just paying for CableCARD rental... It isn't free and the cable company certainly gets billed for it, I'm sure on a "per client" basis. So just because it may automatically get pushed out (against some customers wishes) to all boxes, doesn't mean it's automatically legal for non-company owned boxes to run it.

A box with no software or guide data is useless.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to Joe12345678
Cisco and Motorola does not sell their digital cable boxes and cablecards to customers in the United States, only in places like Canada, so whatever FCC law your thinking of does not apply. Cable cards are a different thing all together. I am not aware of a means of purchasing a cable card or digital cable box in a retail environment in the United States by which I mean BestBuy or through a cable provider.
I understand your point of view in regards to the "if you paid the unreturned fee you own it" but there is no law stating that a cable provider MUST support that box, although if they choose to it is their right, unlike cable cards where they ARE required to. It is the same reason why not every cable modem sold is supported by every cable provider. There are a few reasons for this, one of which is that every digital cable box has a form of security software built into it either onboard with the older boxes or through a cable card with the newer boxes which have for lack of a better term a "password" that is only accepted in the correct market. Secondly the software running on the digital cable boxes are not neutrally universal and will only work with the specific headend they have been programmed for. For example if someone wanted to use a Motorola digital cable box in a Cisco/SA market it would not be possible, or a Comcast digital cable box in a Cablevision market. Even if a Cisco/SA digital cable box was installed in another Cisco/SA market it would not work without the cable card being reprogrammed by the cable provider or manufacturer. If you want universal equipment that is where TiVo and Moxi come into the picture because the software that they run on is not dependant on the environment they are running in. The only thing they want is a compatible cable card which works in that serving market. I hope this clears up any confusion.

scanpa
Premium
join:2006-09-06
Lebanon, PA
reply to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

well what about the FCC LAW saying that the cable CO must trun on a cable card box?

It's sounds like someone needs to push the issue and make a test case in the courts.

There are more then a few laws that cover differs parts of this.

But any one how says all boxes out there are stolen is wrong.

Even if the boxes has a comcast logo on it if you have payed the unreturned fee you own it. It's just like a hotel where they say if you take X from the home we will bill you X and you pay you own it.

You need to re-read the law. I politely suggest you get help from someone with a background in Business and FCC related laws.

Not sure why you post this in every thread related to MSO Cable STB that are listed for sale, illegally.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to Mike Wolf
Service Electric sells cable cards »www.sectv.com/LV/cable_card.html

The NEW Cable card laws say that you can Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box.

It's some thing that a court needs to look at and make a ruling.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to scanpa
said by scanpa See Profile
You need to re-read the law. I politely suggest you get help from someone with a background in Business and FCC related laws.

Not sure why you post this in every thread related to MSO Cable STB that are listed for sale, illegally.

[/BQUOTE :

well people saying that all boxes for sale and stolen are not trun.

Also about Business law there have been lawsuits about being forced to rent a BOX to get cable / VOD and that may be tieing or some other law that the cable co are breaking.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to Joe12345678
"set top box" in terms of a retail device, ie TiVo, Moxi, or home theather computer with a cablecard tuner.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

Obviously, this is something that you are passionate about. I vote that you should be that someone.