Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MetalMike

join:2011-09-24
reply to Hatdude

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

Hello. Akron, Ohio here.

If you want to put a modem into bridge mode, does that disable wireless? We have 4 computers, an iPad, iPod touch, iPhone & a PS3 all on the network. I have the UbeeDDW3611 with a Linksys e2500 currently in NAT mode. I've tried putting the Ubee into bridge so that it would only be a modem only. Our signals here aren't the greatest and I was wondering if bridge would help that out. We have the RR Extreme 30/5. We're only getting about 1.3 MB down & 1/10th of a Meg up.

I've read this entire thread but I still seem to fail putting it in bridge mode. When I did, I couldn't log onto the net & I had to hard reset the Ubee so I could get back to NAT mode.

I apologize for the newbie question. I would really appreciate a response and/or step by step instructions to successfully set up bridge mode since I want my router to do all the work like it's supposed to.

P.S. If you need screenshots of my setup, please let me know.

Thanks.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

Call in and get your Tier 3 group to help. Bridge Mode will probably NOT help speeds that bad. Something else is wrong.

Hob

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to MetalMike

Bridge mode just allows it to act as a modem only. No it does not disable wireless but if the first thing you connect to it is a wireless device you won't be able to connect anything else to it at all but that one wireless device. It works the same if you plug something in to port one first.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to MetalMike

MetalMike I recommend you do the following to debug your speed problem. Basically you need to find out if it's your local network or TWC that's at fault.

1) put your home network into "vanilla" mode. That is, disconnect the Linksys, turn it off, set up the Ubee in standard mode (do a factory reset if necessary), connect all your devices to the Ubee (WiFi I assume).

2) run the Road Runner speed test at your location, preferably from an Ethernet hard-wired PC.

3) If you don't get reasonable speeds, call TWC and make them fix it.

4) If you do get reasonable speeds, the problem was in your local network. Add elements one at a time until you figure out what the problem is.

Putting the Ubee into bridge mode isn't going to change things one way or the other regarding your speed issues. I'm personally running a Ubee in NAT mode, with WiFi off, a separate WiFi access point (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station), and I get full 30 megabits from both WiFi and wired connections.

There's a lot of people on here who jump straight to "Put it in bridge mode! The UBEE router/WiFi sucks!" as a solution. It ain't so, it's perfectly adequate and you can run a completely good network with the Ubee in standard router mode. There's lots of other things in home networks that can mess up your access.

AnClar
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

said by MyDogHsFleas:

There's a lot of people on here who jump straight to "Put it in bridge mode! The UBEE router/WiFi sucks!" as a solution. It ain't so, it's perfectly adequate and you can run a completely good network with the Ubee in standard router mode. There's lots of other things in home networks that can mess up your access.

That's very true, but there are also a fair number of people who have perfectly fine home network setups when using older (DOCSIS2 or earlier) h/w that acts only as a modem, and not as another router. Many folks do not understand the implications of double NATting or IP flood detection when transitioning to h/w that functions as a router in front of their already installed router, as well as a modem. For those people, switching to bridge mode is a quick and easy way to get them back up and running instead of removing their existing router and reconfiguring everything. I also agree that there is nothing wrong with the ubee's wifi or router functionality per se, but it can be confusing to people...including TWC field techs. The guy who brought me my ubee warned me that my speeds would probably drop because they did for every other ubee he'd installed for people who had home networks already set up. I just rolled my eyes, waited until he left and set my ubee in bridge mode in front of my router...no issues and speeds were as advertised.
--
When in danger or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!