Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andy_c

join:2001-01-31
Pflugerville, TX

Here's how to disable the Kazaa spyware

Hi all,

After this whole Morpheus mess, I thought I'd see if it's possible to run Kazaa with the spyware disabled. I downloaded Ad Aware, found some existing spyware in my system, and removed it. Next, I downloaded and installed Kazaa. Re-running Ad Aware showed that a spyware DLL called cd_clint.dll (Cydoor) was present in my \Windows\system32 folder (under XP). I told Ad Aware to delete the file. After this, Kazaa refused to start up, saying a component was missing. I reinstalled Kazaa, got it working again, and again Ad Aware found cd_clint.dll in my system. I did a web search for this file name, and found a site that distributed a dummy version of this DLL here. Apparently, the company that makes the spyware publishes the API (application programming interface) of the DLL. The developers running this site just created a DLL with the same function signatures as the spyware - but the functions do nothing. The source code is included. I thought this was a really cool trick, so I'm passing this information along in the hopes that people will find it useful. I'm running Kazaa right now with the dummy DLL. Of course, when installing Kazaa, you'll need to opt out of everything but the essentials to prevent additional spyware from being installed.

Andy C

storm64007
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY
yup, most of us did that with the dummy dll and it works great. Check out the other threads. Thanks for posting it for everyone.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to andy_c
According to people who posted in one of the
Lavasoft forums, the dummy DLL will also work
for Grokster (or anything that uses Cydoor).

mastermind278
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Clementon, NJ
reply to andy_c
Yes works for all the cydoor products! Just make sure you exclude it when using ad-aware so like that you don't delete it!
--
DUDE! I GOT A GATEWAY!!!

mushmouth

join:2001-12-13
Earth
kudos:1
reply to andy_c
mastermind I got a question for you.I installed your app, it worked great.I ran ad aware and removed evrything that came up.As far as I know kazaa is working, I really didn't try to download anything, but it does load up.Now I read your post about not deleting the app.Do I need to re install it or will kazaa lock me out when I try to d.l.

mastermind278
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Clementon, NJ
reply to andy_c
You can keep the other one! I am still with the other one! Ill use the dummy file when i need it, which isn't now!
--
DUDE! I GOT A GATEWAY!!!

Thomas1

join:2000-06-03
Garner, NC
reply to andy_c
Works Great. Thanks for the help. It seems that the user login is high but the amount of files is low. Hum???

Assault

join:2001-12-14
Garland, TX
reply to andy_c
how or where do you install it with Windows XP?

Assault

join:2001-12-14
Garland, TX
reply to andy_c
I got it to work but it didn't get rid of the front page ad

andy_c

Pflugerville, TX
reply to Assault
Be sure to install Ad-aware first. You run a spyware scan with Ad-aware, and it tells you the full path of the spyware file. Under XP, it gets installed as \Windows\system32\cd_clint.dll. Make a copy of the original and save it under a different name that you'll remember, say, cd_clint_orig.dll. Then just unzip the dummy zip file from the web site into \Windows\system32. The reason you need to save the original file is that if you try to uninstall KaZaA, the uninstall will refuse to run because of the dummy cd_clint.dll. So if you uninstall KaZaA, first delete the dummy cd_clint.dll. Then rename the cd_clint_orig.dll back to cd_clint.dll. The KaZaA uninstall will then work correctly.

Andy C

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY
Yikes..i didnt keep the original..lol! What do i do now if i want to uninstall it?

andy_c

Pflugerville, TX
reply to Assault
Regarding the front page ad, do a search for a file called "hosts" (without quotes). You'll find it in \Windows\system32\drivers\etc. Open it up with Notepad. Underneath the line that says:

127.0.0.1 localhost

you add two lines as follows:
127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com

This will nuke the ads. Credits to scorcho for this trick.

Andy C

andy_c

Pflugerville, TX
reply to storm64007
said by storm64007:
Yikes..i didnt keep the original..lol! What do i do now if i want to uninstall it?
Same thing happened to me . I found kmd15_en.exe (the installer) in \Program Files\Kazaa\My Shared Folder, and just reinstalled KaZaA on top of itself. This seems to replace the cd_clint.dll with the evil original.

Andy C

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY

UGH double whammy..i deleted the installer too! HEHE! Any other suggestions if i ever wanted to uninstall it without just deleting the folder(shudders). I guess i could try downloading kazaa again on top of it from their site and see if it replaces it, otherwise i guess just delete my folder and try to clean the registry without me screwing up my comp...lol!
[text was edited by author 2002-03-03 22:47:52]

andy_c

Pflugerville, TX
Go here and download the SDKv3210.zip. Inside is an exe file that can be opened in WinZip. The cd_clint.dll can then be unzipped from there.

Andy C

vampirefo1
Trojanhunter Rules

join:2002-01-16
Huntington, WV
reply to andy_c
downloadcd_clint.zip 150,490 bytes
(cd_clint.dll)
Here is the dll

andy_c

Pflugerville, TX
Thanks vampirefo1,

I didn't realize binaries could be uploaded to this forum.

Andy C

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY
reply to vampirefo1
THANX GUYS!!!!

andy_c

Pflugerville, TX
Now if somebody knows how to get rid of the freakin' monkey from the toolbar... . I tried using Grokster instead, which had a lot less add-ons (and no monkey). But the darned thing refused to download my files to any directory other than "My Grokster" regardless of what I specified in the download box. Even worse though, it locked up my machine hard several times under XP, forcing a power-off reset. I ended up uninstalling it and reinstalling KaZaA.

mlitd
Premium
join:2001-01-06
reply to andy_c
thanks

nwilcox

join:2001-11-28
Marysville, MI
reply to andy_c
I havent downloaded and installed Kazaa yet,but, when u install Kazaa and opt of installing spyware why will I have to do all the extra steps? When is the spyware for?

Prairie Dog
Here's Looking At You Kid
Premium
join:2000-08-09
Langhorne, PA
reply to andy_c
I tried to uninstall the spyware with adaware, adaware would not uninstall the spyware, so I had to uninstall the hole program. I must be doing something wrong.
--
Nobody's getting out of here alive!

devuil

@sbo.ma.webcache.rcn.
reply to andy_c
Can we get rid of all the other stuff ad aware find when kazaa is installed (ie the other cydoor crap)?

HatakHaksi

join:2001-09-04
Dallas, TX

reply to andy_c
When the dummy DLL is in place and the original renamed, does AdAware still detect it as "dirty"? If this is correct then does one check the dummy file and add it to the ignore list?
[text was edited by author 2002-03-04 23:51:59]

elias
Premium,VIP
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL
reply to andy_c
Thanks for all your help!

-- Elias

elias
Premium,VIP
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL
reply to andy_c
said by andy_c:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com
127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com

Hey, good tip. You guys should add these two lines as well:

127.0.0.1 ads.x10.com
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

-- Elias

tazman01

join:2002-02-10
NY
reply to andy_c
Fairly new member, but You guys are definately the best.

andy_c

Pflugerville, TX
reply to HatakHaksi
said by HatakHaksi:
When the dummy DLL is in place and the original renamed, does AdAware still detect it as "dirty"? If this is correct then does one check the dummy file and add it to the ignore list?
Ad-Aware only looks at the name, so it thinks the dummy is spyware. One can add this DLL to the ignore list, but I'd hesitate to do that, as it would ignore the real one if it were present. You can tell the difference by the size. The real one is about 150k, while the dummy is 40k.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
The new Kazaa acts and smells like the old Morpheus (guess they couldn't stand the competition) unfortunately kazaa brings alot of crap with it - that morpheus didnt have :-(
This is good and bad. The old morpheus (new Kazaa) works great, like the interface lots of files,, easy to use..downside is that spyware.. Thanks to all for showing how to get rid of it!!

I discovered this after terminating the program only to come back and see traffic as indicated by zone alarms...yup from that silly kazaa icon, even though it was no longer in the icon tray!! Now I know what to do...

As for other programs,
Direct connect is very good but be prepared to share 10megs or so to get access to the better servers. Its a bit complicated to use especially if you have a router or a small monitor. Do not believe there is any hidden programs with this one!.
Edonkey is also good in that is has a multiple download capability, it was growing until morpheus hit the scene. Also quirky with routers... and sometimes hard to get access to servers.. Once they iron out some bugs this will be very good. Never noticed any sneaky programs with it.
Imesh....know very little other than I tried it long ago without success and reading recent forums not much has changed.
Grokester .the worst of the kazaa engine driven proggies...I avoided it.
NEW MORPHEUS-GNUTELLA BASED
Tried it, brand new interface that may take some getting use to. It is not intuitively obvious how to connect to all the servers, as the structure is not clear to me, nor have i managed to d/l more than one file at a time...(Im not the smartest branch on the tree ) (Instructions for router setups not out yet.. I will hold onto this hoping for better help/direction and based on past experience with morpheus.

Norville

join:2000-12-05
Saint Paul, MN
reply to andy_c
Please forgive me for asking a stupid question, but I am having trouble making this work. Would someone smarter than I mind posting step-by-step directions to disable to Kazaa spyware? Like:

1. Run Ad-Aware
2. install Kazaa
3. Run Ad-aware and remove spyware
4. Add fake dll to X spot

Etc.

Sorry, I just can't figure it out from the thread above.

Brad