Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

T-Mobile SIM question

First, I'm guessing that since AT&T bought T-mobile, this is where to ask questions.

My sister has T-Mobile service that she got maybe 6 years ago. It came with a phone and 100 minutes, and no monthly bill. She pays $10 per year to roll the minutes to the next year, as she only uses this for urgent calls while out of the house. No CSR at T-Mobile recognizes the plan.

So - now that her phone can't keep a charge, I'm looking at current T-Mobile phones. $30 at Target. These seem to be a PAYGO type service, and they contain a SIM card, same as hers. The question is - can I expect that if we take her SIM and just put it into the new phone, all is well, the new phone will recognize the info on the card and will have her service?

Sorry for my ignorance, my phones and family's are all normal monthly service deals, never tried to swap out SIMs on them. No reason to.

Thanks for any insight on this.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR

said by joetaxpayer:

First, I'm guessing that since AT&T bought T-mobile, this is where to ask questions.

AT&T has not bought T-Mobile, although they are contemplating to.

No CSR at T-Mobile recognizes the plan.

I am guessing they don't recognize the 'plan' because there isn't one. Sounds like PAYG aka prepaid to me.

The question is - can I expect that if we take her SIM and just put it into the new phone, all is well, the new phone will recognize the info on the card and will have her service?

Yes, any phone from T-Mobile would work.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by broccoli:

I am guessing they don't recognize the 'plan' because there isn't one. Sounds like PAYG aka prepaid to me.

I was thinking that as well. Her call started with asking if she could 'keep her service while updating the phone' and it seems they couldn't explain what she even had. Now I better understand it's just a prepaid deal. Thanks.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

The regular reps should have knowledge of the prepaid plans, all of the information is at their terminals, and they even have access to the internet to look at their public webpage for the truly lazy, however prepaid does have it own support.

All she had to do was call 1-800-tmobile, and when asked for her mobile number she would have been transferred to prepaid support unless their ivr system has gotten worse, otherwise call 611 from her phone connected to the charger.

I have pay as you go also, and yes I will put on as little as $10 a year to keep my previous balance. On this plan once you add a total of $100 you're considered gold, and even the smallest amount extends your previous balance another year. Great for low use, not cost effective for high use people.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to joetaxpayer

Any current T-Mobile To Go feature phone should be compatible with that SIM. Charge the new phone, insert your existing SIM, power up and go. Flip the new SIM and starter kit on eBay to recover a few $ if you wish (I've done just that).
--
I turned on my computer for this?

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA
reply to BlitzenZeus

BZ - thanks - That's exactly what she's been doing. Just adding a bit each year and never used the original minutes.

The answers here make it pretty clear I can just get her another phone for less than the cost of replacement batteries, and these are basically throw-aways.

Thanks everyone who replied. I may just buy it, take pictures of me opening it and showing her the SIM, then mail it to her. It's not just that I live 200 miles away, but she's still in the 20th century tech-wise. But for her, the prepaid plan is great.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 edit

Just direct her to the local store to buy the phone, and they should be more than happy to help her insert her sim card, however while the battery may have a partial charge, she will want to charge it to full asap.

Also have them help her at the store to make sure her contacts are stored on the sim, and not the phone, otherwise she will lose contacts, many phones store them on the phone by default. If the bought any wallpaper or ringtones she *might* be able to get them sent to her new phone, no guarantees, otherwise the old content is stuck on the old phone.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to joetaxpayer

No not just anyphone will work as they are locked. even the pay as you go ones. For that sim to work with no problems better get one from tmobile.

OK now i see it is pre-paind to pre-paid thught it was a plan to a pre-paid.