Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

Internet Radio

I am considering the purchase of a table top internet radio... First on the list is the Logitech Squeezebox... But I am a little confused about the WiFi compatibility... I have a Cisco/Linksys E4200 Wireless-N router... One set of specs I read on the Logitech radio say only B or G wireless but another set of specs on the TigerDirect website also say compatible with N wireless...

Does anyone know if this radio will work with wireless N wifi?... Or is there another internet radio out there to recommend?
--
Go Mark Martin!

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Streaming audio requires very little bandwidth so B or G mode should work just fine. As for the router, I've never seen an N router that wasn't backwards compatible to B and G devices as well.

I just use old laptops for internet radio out in the garage. They're too weak for most other uses, but stream via Winamp just fine. Hook up a decent amp and speakers and rock out.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island

said by HarryH3:

Streaming audio requires very little bandwidth so B or G mode should work just fine. As for the router, I've never seen an N router that wasn't backwards compatible to B and G devices as well.

I just use old laptops for internet radio out in the garage. They're too weak for most other uses, but stream via Winamp just fine. Hook up a decent amp and speakers and rock out.

I must be thinking backwards. I am thinking that the Logitech Internet radio might not be up compatible to a wireless-N router?
--
Go Mark Martin!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

The Squeezebox will work just fine with your router. You will want to make sure that you have the network mode for 2.4GHz set to mixed mode (page 12 of router user manual). Mixed mode supports B, G as well as N in the 2.4GHz band.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to Gemstone

I have 2 Boom's and 2 Radio's frm Logitech I beliveve they work at G speeds. They should work fine with your router.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

The Squeezebox will work just fine with your router. You will want to make sure that you have the network mode for 2.4GHz set to mixed mode (page 12 of router user manual). Mixed mode supports B, G as well as N in the 2.4GHz band.

I am wireless router "challenged", LOL... Let me check the settings and report back to you... Thanks...
--
Go Mark Martin!

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
reply to robbin

My Linksys E4200 wireless settings are as follows:

WiFi Protected Setup:
5 Ghz: WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode
2.4 Ghz: WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode

Will that work?
--
Go Mark Martin!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Yes, that should work with the Squeezebox Radio.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island

said by robbin:

Yes, that should work with the Squeezebox Radio.

Ok, kewl... I think it's officially on my Christmas list!... Thanks...
--
Go Mark Martin!

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
reply to Gemstone

I have a Livio Pandora radio, and love it more than anything else in the Universe. It works great on a Buffalo N router, but in G mode. Most will be similar.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island

1 recommendation

said by PCInTech:

I have a Livio Pandora radio, and love it more than anything else in the Universe. It works great on a Buffalo N router, but in G mode. Most will be similar.

Very Interesting... How would you compare the Livio Pandora radio to the Logitech Squeezebox radio?
--
Go Mark Martin!

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

1 edit

said by Gemstone:

Very Interesting... How would you compare the Livio Pandora radio to the Logitech Squeezebox radio?

I avoided the Squeezebox after reading too many reports about it being extremely "buggy" and lack of interest by Logitech in solving problems. I liked the people at Livio immediately, as their support is in the US with knowledgeable technicians at the other end of the phone. The radio itself is very robust, and solid, not "cheap" feeling at all, more like a solid old FM table radio of days gone by.

Adding, and searching for stations can be a bit cumbersome, but sign up for a free Reciva account, register your radio to it (and also to Pandora) and manipulating and managing your stations becomes painless. The sound quality is quite respectable for a "table radio" (Mono, of course) but you can plug it into your Stereo system with the included RCA jack adapter and it sounds incredible.

I can't say enough about their support! I had a minor problem after a couple of months, the WiFi card went "bad". I called them, and they immediately gave me an RMA (1 year warranty) and I sent it to them in Michigan. They fixed it within hours and sent it back immediately, keeping me constantly informed by phone and email. They even did a follow-up when I got it back to make sure everything was A-1. They had replaced the WiFi card with an improved model that has even better range and connectivity than the original. By the way, their techs are intimately familiar with just about every brand of router out there, and can help you with unusual setup problems, but the thing "just works", so you probably won't need more than their setup manual.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'm really enthusiastic about my radio and think everybody should own one.

(Edit:) By the way, I have the "original" LV001 radio, with both wired ethernet and wireless. They no longer make this, the new one is wireless-only. You can get great deals on the older one, like mine, with open-box units direct from Livio. They still have full factory warranty, so no worries whatsoever.

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island

Wow, excellent information... Thank-you!

I am an "old" Ham radio guy, so I still enjoy having a good quality table radio in the house... I like the idea of combining an old style table radio with new technology...

Although I plan on using this via my in-house WiFi (hence my initial questions) I would also like to have a hardwired ethernet port available...

I wonder if this is the same radio? (They say it has an ethernet port)

»www.ccrane.com/radios/wifi-radio···dio.aspx

Are there any other differences between the old LV001 and the new LV001B??
--
Go Mark Martin!

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Gemstone

Logitech has regular "sales" of their "radio" around the $80-90 for "open box" items. That's how I bought mine.
And yes it works both on wifi and on wired ethernet connection.

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to Gemstone

said by Gemstone:

I still enjoy having a good quality table radio in the house... I like the idea of combining an old style table radio with new technology...

Although I plan on using this via my in-house WiFi (hence my initial questions) I would also like to have a hardwired ethernet port available...

I wonder if this is the same radio? (They say it has an ethernet port)

»www.ccrane.com/radios/wifi-radio···dio.aspx

Are there any other differences between the old LV001 and the new LV001B??

I know, I was intrigued by the concept of combining the look and feel of my old KLH, Sony and Zenith table radios with the ability to pick up the 10s of thousands of Internet radio stations.

The C.Crane radio is a little different, same concept, smaller speaker, and lacks the Pandora extra features, like the "thumbs up/thumbs down" buttons to customize your own Pandora "stations". It looks nice, but I don't have any experience with the Crane or the company's support.

The only differences between the LV001 and the LV001B are the RJ45 Ethernet port, and the front face color. I sought out the "old" one because when it's sitting in my office or mastering studio (I'm a recording engineer) I prefer to have it "hard-wired", still leery of this new-fangled WiFi stuff. But when I take it in the kitchen while I'm doing dishes, cooking, etc. or my wife takes it out on the front porch in the Summer, it's running wireless just fine.

The Logitech is a fine unit, I'm sure, I just didn't have use for the color screen with all the "doo-dads" it has, like access to paid subscription services. To me, that defeated the purpose of "free" Internet radio. It was also "cheap" feeling, I dunno. Just another geeky plastic toy. The Livio felt like a real "radio" to me, but I'm old. And, I really, REALLY like the concept of a US Company with US support that's staffed by technicians, and not script readers.

Coolguy2

@optonline.net
reply to PCInTech

said by PCInTech:

said by Gemstone:

I avoided the Squeezebox after reading too many reports about it being extremely "buggy" and lack of interest by Logitech in solving problems. I liked the people at Livio immediately, as their support is in the US with knowledgeable technicians at the other end of the phone. The radio itself is very robust, and solid, not "cheap" feeling at all, more like a solid old FM table radio of days gone by.

I own a Squeezebox and can testify that the radio is a pain in the *ss and Logitech does not want to spend any time solving problems.

It seems every 3 weeks there is a software update and the darn thing won't let you keep the current firmware unless the you find an exploit to bypass the update screen.

More than a couple of times the firmware created new bugs.

Getting the server software on PC side to work is another pain. There is nothing like STUN protocol---you have to open ports on the router. You have to go through hoops and hurdles to use a static IP. I ended up reserving the mac address on the radio for the same address handed out by DHCP.

One of the updates of PC server software kept crapping out so I downgraded. Now everytime I switch from PC library to mysqueezebox.com library I have to update/downgrade the firmware in the radio or keep hitting buttons until I exploit my way out of the update screen.

These people do not test their software.

That being said, I can get everything from the local VHF weather broadcast to Pandora to thousands of radio stations around the world.

So I put up with it....but I would not recommend it to any of my friends.

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY

Wow. That's exactly the things I was reading over and over from many sources. Makes me happy I got the Livio. No drama.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Gemstone

I am thankfull that Logitech have a continuous firmware update. The very occasional issues are quickly sorted. There are also very active forums at Logitech and also the riginal users forum just research "slimdevices forum".

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to Gemstone

I am looking for an Internet Radio as well . As a big fan of Grooveshark i can't seem to find a compatible radio...

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by Fobulous:

I am looking for an Internet Radio as well . As a big fan of Grooveshark i can't seem to find a compatible radio...

Livio has Grooveshark on their car radio, don't know about the home radios.

Coolguy2

@optonline.net
reply to IanR

Why on earth do they have to have frequent updates? Its because they never test anything. At least allow the user to disable any updates....

If a got a Squeezebox for my sister, she would not know what the heck to do. Thats why it has no chance of becoming a mainstream product.

Why cant they make a radio that behaves just like any other radio--keeping the technology invisible to the end user.

If you like to fix problems, find answers on forums, and solve networking issues, the Squeezebox is for you.

But if you just want to listen to internet radio, there really are better choices.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Gemstone

What is a good internet radio that supports XM/Sirius and other paid services?

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to PCInTech

Yeah i saw that. Too bad the standard Livio does not support grooveshark yet..
--

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by Fobulous:

Yeah i saw that. Too bad the standard Livio does not support grooveshark yet..

I think it has something to do with their contract with Pandora, being similar competing services, to be honest.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to Gemstone

Logitech have an "open box" sale for their radio:
»www.logitech.com/en-us/promotion···_us&ci=0 For $89.99
Use coupon code logi_radio_12211 [Exp 12/5] to get the price down to $80

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Coolguy2

quote:
It seems every 3 weeks there is a software update and the darn thing won't let you keep the current firmware unless the you find an exploit to bypass the update screen.

Wow that sucks!!!

I have a GRACE internet radio and you have to choose "UPDATE FIRMWARE",as far as i know there is no "auto update" (THANKFULLY) on it!!

I have kept the original firmware since i got it,i know how stuff usually gets WORSE with updates and i dont wanna risk messing up what i have!

quote:
What is a good internet radio that supports XM/Sirius and other paid services?
The one i have does (Well XM/Sirius and a few others)

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Dude, I almost got a Grace, which was the most similar to the Livio in quality. Which model did you get?

The Livio does check for firmware updates, or you can do it manually, but you have the option to shut off the auto-check, which is "off" by default. I'm told the Grace radios are the same. Both radios use the same board and chipset, by the way, and are both Reciva powered.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Gemstone

Ill have to check and see what it is.......

One thing they forgot to add on these radios is the ability to add streams manually ON THE RADIO ITSELF!! (If they ever go outta business,etc you would be out of luck besides what you have stored as favourites)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

4 edits
reply to PCInTech

MINE JUST BROKE AFTER 3 FUCKING MONTHS!!!

I always unplug it when im not listening to it,well when i went to plug it in yesterday IT WOULDNT BOOT UP. (Wouldnt go past NETWORK INIT) -- PIECE OF GARBAGE!!! (Something was wrong with it from the start i think as it kept making funny noises during playing a stream)

I got another one,a LOGITECH radio.... THIS ONE ISNT ANYWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE OTHER ONE WAS.. YOU CANT ADD YOUR OWN STATIONS WITH IT!!!!!

Im not keeping this logitech piece of crap.... (They gave it to us as a replacement for the grace radio -- FAT CHANCE!!)

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by Dude111:

MINE JUST BROKE AFTER 3 FUCKING MONTHS!!!

It should still be under warranty, no? I had a problem with my Livio Radio after 3 months, the network card stopped working. I called them up, they had me send it in, and they put in an even better wireless network card than the original, and shipped it back to me the same day. Excellent service!