Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to andyross

Re: Say goodbye to ClearQAM

Its going to go away. Just like it being free for the cable companies to transmit has already gone away. What use to be free is now costing the cable companies over 2.50 per month per subscriber. The fox stations alone get well over half of that. When abc, cbs , and nbc see how well fox made out they will be right behind fox on them demands. The only hope is maybe nbc will hold out since they are affiliated with comcast. Other than that we are all SOL. The cable companies have no choice but to just pay what the networks want. Its pay up or dont transmit it. Yea, like any cable company could give up abc, cbs, nbc, or fox. Just the way its going to be. Time to go back to the old satellite model where the locals were pulled in OTA. Its especially hard on the small cable companies left out there. They have no negotiating power at all. The only thing they can do is pay up or fold up. Its only the beginning.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

2 recommendations

All I know is that if they take away clear HD QAMs from my secondary sets, I better get a couple of HD DTAs for free to replace the crappy SD DTAs I have now.

But there's been no news on the HD DTA front...

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to rody_44
I don't know the last time the affiliate stations were ever free. I mean the very fact that there have been contract disputes between Fox and ABC with various service providers such as Time Warner, Brighthouse, Cablevision, DISH network, DirecTV (all of which can be brought up with a quick Bing search) over carriage fees proves that everyone wants to get paid.

Pretty sure NBC is going to be the first to do the encryption on Comcast for that fact that they are owned by Comcast, and I think the same can be said by other channels who are owned by cable providers like how Time Warner Cable which is owned by Time Warner owns 50% of The CW.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Its going to go away. Just like it being free for the cable companies to transmit has already gone away. What use to be free is now costing the cable companies over 2.50 per month per subscriber. The fox stations alone get well over half of that. When abc, cbs , and nbc see how well fox made out they will be right behind fox on them demands. The only hope is maybe nbc will hold out since they are affiliated with comcast. Other than that we are all SOL. The cable companies have no choice but to just pay what the networks want. Its pay up or dont transmit it. Yea, like any cable company could give up abc, cbs, nbc, or fox. Just the way its going to be. Time to go back to the old satellite model where the locals were pulled in OTA. Its especially hard on the small cable companies left out there. They have no negotiating power at all. The only thing they can do is pay up or fold up. Its only the beginning.

I've wondered why the industry doesn't use their lobbying influence to fight this. Why should what is essentially being broadcast for free using the public airwaves cost them money to retransmit? They are doing the stations a service by increasing their viewers and thus ad dollars.. If they don't like it, give back your free spectrum and lease it from the federal government like other industries have to.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I think you will eventually see the government get involved. So far the closest they got was the cablevision ordeal. Notice a deal was reached when government threatoned to step in. Who it really hurts is the smaller cable companies. They have no leverage and no lobbying power. They have to take it like a man and pass the cost on.