Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313

Premium Member

Discussion of 8 available channels on a 4/4 channel modem

Response to this post ---> »San Francisco, CA

No, if 8 channels were available, you'd see 8 channels. And if you had 8 channels, you'd not see them since the 6120 is a 4/4 modem. Not 8/4 or better.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

1 edit

nysports4evr

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

No, if 8 channels were available, you'd see 8 channels. And if you had 8 channels, you'd not see them since the 6120 is a 4/4 modem. Not 8/4 or better.

Having a Channel ID of 8 is a good indicator that there is 8 channels available for bonding in his area. You can see the frequencies are spread out as well.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

1 edit

Chris 313

Premium Member

Yes, I just got a message a bit ago saying things to this effect. Interesting. Wish we even had D3 here. Nothing in sight yet.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

(topic move) 8 downstreams seems pointless

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »8 downstreams seems pointless

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

1 edit

Ripper to nysports4evr

Premium Member

to nysports4evr

Re: Discussion of 8 available channels on a 4/4 channel modem

Click for full size
said by nysports4evr:

said by Chris 313:

Having a Channel ID of 8 is a good indicator that there is 8 channels available for bonding in his area. You can see the frequencies are spread out as well.

Not the case in my area, check out my channel ID's.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

1 edit

nysports4evr

Premium Member

Right, but his modem was actually bonded to a channel with an ID above 4.
posthaste
join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL

posthaste to Chris 313

to Chris 313
Click for full size
Just activated a new Zoom 5341(J) this evening and was pleasantly surprised.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

All you need now is at least one or more bonded returns !!

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to posthaste

to posthaste
ooooh dude nice!!!!!!
gregherrin25
join:2009-07-16

gregherrin25

I've got 4 downstream bonded channels but only 1 upstream. I've had the 4 for like a year now. Anyone in ftlauderdale have more than 1 upstream bonding channel? Or is this something new they are rolling out?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

yeah I've had the 4 down on mine a few years, still 1 up unfortunately.
gregherrin25

gregherrin25

Hmm sure wuld be nice when u call comcast if they had info on when ur area wuld get it. They dont even know what bonding channels are when u call and talk to them.

Does it make a difference in getting that upgrade if you own your own modem? I've read in some place online that owning your own modem can cause issues sometimes with comcast esp with firmware updates.......or even updates like this multiples upstream channel bonding.

I'm getting a motorola sb6121 (have the 6120) now ....gonna try that and see if it helps out my wacko speedtest.net speed measurements and maybe this upstream issue.

It's funny one time i'll do a test on speedtest and i'll get 46 down like 4 up then another time 24 down and 8 up. I've called comcast tech support and they say all my signal/power levels are optimal..

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

said by gregherrin25:

I'm getting a motorola sb6121 (have the 6120) now ....gonna try that and see if it helps out my wacko speedtest.net speed measurements and maybe this upstream issue.

Comcast uses the exact same firmware for the 6120 and 6121, I'd try getting a Zoom instead if you are seeing upstream speed issues.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to gregherrin25

to gregherrin25
when you call in all they see on their screen in regards to signal and power levels are four colors. black, red, yellow, and green. its not detailed like you can get with a tech visit. its possible that either your testing during off peak (high speeds) and heavy peak (low speeds) times, or its an issue with how they provisioned the modem. but trust me the 6121 and 6120 are really identical except for a new housing, an optional power button (which I haven't seen in retailers), and a low pass filter for MoCA overload prevention. Same firmware, same provisioning steps.
gregherrin25

gregherrin25 to netcool

to netcool
Zoom .....what model number i'm gonna look for it on amazon.com?

Btw in case i try that brand out what address do u go to ...to access our cable modem to say look at signal levels, logs etc. I know on my motorola i access the router at 192.168.100.1

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

when you call in all they see on their screen in regards to signal and power levels are four colors. black, red, yellow, and green. its not detailed like you can get with a tech visit.

They can see the numbers if the CAE knows how to query them and uses the right tool.
EG

1 recommendation

EG to netcool

Premium Member

to netcool
said by netcool:

Comcast uses the exact same firmware for the 6120 and 6121, I'd try getting a Zoom instead if you are seeing upstream speed issues.

I'll drink to that ! Not much of a difference in hardware between these two modems except for the casing. Might as well try a completely different brand. The Zoom 5341 "J" solved all of the speed and connectivity problems that I was having with the Moto's !

Ripper
Premium Member
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to gregherrin25

Premium Member

to gregherrin25
said by gregherrin25:

Zoom .....what model number i'm gonna look for it on amazon.com?

Btw in case i try that brand out what address do u go to ...to access our cable modem to say look at signal levels, logs etc. I know on my motorola i access the router at 192.168.100.1

Here is a Amazon link to modem »www.amazon.com/Zoom-5341 ··· 063K4NN6 .
The address is the same for the Zoom 5341J, just use the username and password printed on side/bottom of modem.I have that modem and it has been very reliable and has a little faster upload compared to my old modem.
gregherrin25

gregherrin25

ok so u can access a zoom modem at 192.168.100.1 too just like a motorola?

Ripper
Premium Member
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper

Premium Member

said by gregherrin25:

ok so u can access a zoom modem at 192.168.100.1 too just like a motorola?

Yes it's the same.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to EG

to EG
true but in my experience they always tell me thats all they see.
Expand your moderator at work
gregherrin25

gregherrin25 to Ripper

to Ripper

Re: Discussion of 8 available channels on a 4/4 channel modem

I got the zoom modem that was recommended but when i go to 192.168.100.1 nothing happens just says page cannot be displayed. Cant even get the username and password prompt. I have the cable modem directly connected to my computer. I havent called comcast to provision it yet b/c i wanted to see the signal levels first before provisioning it. I can access motorola modems without them being provisioned.

Are u sure it's 192.168.100.1?

Ripper
Premium Member
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper

Premium Member

You most have something blocking it,firewall maybe,I could get to it from »192.168.100.1/ with no problem.
gregherrin25

1 edit

gregherrin25

i got it working i started another thread. i'm getting 8 downstream bonding channels. is that right? i only got 4 on my motorola. guess it's time to call comcast tech support and have them set this up and see how it works. see my other thread

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

screenshots?
how did ya get it working, link to the thread?
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to EG

to EG
how many know how though.
gregherrin25

gregherrin25

I dont know it just starting working for some reason. Just out of the blew i kept hitting the refresh button the firefox browser and the username and password prompt finally came up for it.

funny thing is i never had any problem accessing my motorola from the computer .....at the same address

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

that is wierd but glad its working for you. i've wondered just how much of an improvement in performance a 4x4 verses a 8x4 modem. I just hate to have my 6121 and 6120 become outdated so quickly lol

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

how many know how though.

Not my problem...