Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to UHF

Re: [Equipment] 900 point to point

said by UHF:

said by rtrice81:

you need at least 20' to 30' on both side or somehow get space on that hill to use as a repeater

There's a 2.4GHz WISP that's in the same direction (I), and 100' higher, but he swears there's no way it would work. I can clearly see his antenna from the roof of the building at W, no hills or vegetation in the way. He insists 2.4 will only go 7 miles. Without knowing his EIRP or the RX Sens of his equipment I guess I can't really dispute it, and even if I did, it won't do any good. By my estimation the path loss would leave me with a signal of around -88, but I'm making a whole lot of assumptions to calculate that.

Assume Max EIRP for the band. 36dbm at his end.
Assume a 24 dbi grid at your end.
Assume a -74 RX sens at best modulation.(assuming 80211)

2.4ghz works out to much longer than 7 miles. I got a -67 with good LOS at 10 miles, with 36dbm EIRP and a 24dbi grid at the CPE. Post the ligowave path analysis and we can see if that goes
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
·DIRECTV

said by Inssomniak:

Assume Max EIRP for the band. 36dbm at his end.
Assume a 24 dbi grid at your end.
Assume a -74 RX sens at best modulation.(assuming 80211)

I was assuming 24dbm from the radio, 6dbi antenna gain on his end, and 18 on mine. That gets me to -76, possibly higher, so looks like it could work. There is absolutely nothing in between but air.

said by jim_p_price7:

The WISP may have some hard and fast rules about distance limits designed to prevent himself from winding up with difficult to support marginal clients.

Perhaps if you offer to do all the legwork (research, buying your own gear) you might have a chance.

Maybe. The guy really doesn't want to be in the wireless business anymore, and his RF guy left years ago. I work with RF everyday, but this wireless internet stuff, fresnel zones, etc, is new to me. I deal in high power RF, and did analog cellular and mobile radio systems back in the day. I'd be more than happy to do the legwork on it, but he just seems uninterested.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

If the WISP doesn't want to make the shot work, try to get permission to hang your own radio on his tower and get him to provide the internet feed to it.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey