share rss forum feed

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2
reply to UHF

Re: [Equipment] 900 point to point

said by UHF:

Also, speed isn't super critical. 500kbps would be fantastic. And if it goes out sometimes due to rain fade or bird poop, so be it. It's not a critical link, just something to kill the boredom and monotony when I have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

WISP's are usually hesitant even if that is what you tell them. Reason being is that many people will beg for service, claiming that they just want something better than dialup and it doesn't matter if it is slow or cuts out, but then once they get used to it working, they can be big pains in the a$$ every time it glitches and seem to forget what they said 6 months ago when it was installed. Also, having a customer with low signal on the tower will reduce the capacity of the entire tower, which is probably the main reason for the distance limit. He's probably just learned that is around the distance limit that has worked well for him.

It's a tough situation. I have some potential customers that I have turned away. There is a possibility they would have perfect signal and never have any problems, but then again I have been burned by it enough times before that I just don't have enough time in a day to be constantly troubleshooting those connections. I find that about 5% of my customers take up 80% of my time.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
said by jcremin:

...many people will beg for service, claiming that they just want something better than dialup and it doesn't matter if it is slow or cuts out, but then once they get used to it working, they can be big pains in the a$$ every time it glitches and seem to forget what they said 6 months ago when it was installed...

Sounds like my neighbour... WISP hooked him up in Winter... come Spring the trees leafed out and the whining began. I told him he needed to cut down a few trees but all he would do is call the WISP and ream them out, refuse to pay his bill, etc.

One day he got a call from Bell offering to hook him up to DSL. DSL was not available but the call centre in India didn't know that. The neighbour told the WISP what he could do with their CPE (anatomically impossible) and waited for the Bell tech that never came. Having burned his bridge, he was back on dialup.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey