jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to UHF

Re: [Equipment] 900 point to point

said by UHF:

The ligowave plot is 100' lower than the 2.4 ghz link would be. I think the 2.4 would work, but I haven't ran it through ligowave or radio mobile since he's not interested in working with me. He's on a city water tower, so I can't put my own radio up there.

Also, speed isn't super critical. 500kbps would be fantastic. And if it goes out sometimes due to rain fade or bird poop, so be it. It's not a critical link, just something to kill the boredom and monotony when I have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Have you considered becoming your own ISP? Your situation is what led me to start my own WISP.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
said by jim_p_price7:

Have you considered becoming your own ISP? Your situation is what led me to start my own WISP.

No. The town I live in has 4 broadband providers, they don't need a 5th. The location I want access at is literally in the middle of a cornfield 10 miles out of town. Within 4 miles there might be 20 houses, and there's terrain issues and lots of trees. I'm on top of a 100' hill with few trees. Add in the fact I have no money for start up, and being a WISP doesn't appeal to me at all.

I had a T1 at this location but due to situations beyond my control, I can't access it anymore. That could change at any time, but I was hoping for a wireless link as an alternate source. This is why I don't care that much about speed/reliability as I'll likely have the T1 available as well. The firewall sucks, and I'd like to be able to VPN into my home LAN which isn't allowed on the T1.