spc
uniqs
JazzJRabbit
join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL

1 recommendation

JazzJRabbit

Not enough details

There are plenty of cheap pay-to-go MVNOs that have true "by the minute" billing, Page Plus on Verizon network, or PlatinumTel on Sprint. Both of those are very cheap and in theory better than "bucket plans" because you get billed by what you actually use down to the minute/text/megabyte of data instead of buckets. The problem with Page Plus is that their data is very expensive, the problem with PlatinumTel is that you cannot Bring Your Own Device.

The success of this new service will be mostly determined by the 1) plan prices, obviously and 2) BYOD policy. If both of these are favorable, price comparable to PlatinumTel and BYOD is available, then this is going to be a real winner, otherwise it's going to be just another MVNO.

Bottom line is, this story will need a follow up when details are actually available.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

I want a plan similar to t-mobile et. al. where you purchase $x of credit, and it has a 90 day - 1 year expiration, which can be renewed by topping off.

They have this for voice, I want this for data.

Sell me 2GB of data and let me use it over the next 90-365 days. I don't use enough data to require 2GB every month on a revolving basis.
pabster
join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA

pabster to JazzJRabbit

to JazzJRabbit
You have to understand they [the monopolies] are not going to allow their core business cash cow to be neutered by an MVNO. Contract, postpaid service is still the vast, vast majority of their business. Hence why PagePlus has horrific data rates, for example. Verizon dictates that.
pabster

pabster to talz13

to talz13
AT&T offers this on GoPhone, at $25 per 500MB block. You can have up to 1.5GB on hand and it costs just $5 to keep it active every 30 days (rollover). Still expensive compared to postpaid offerings but much better than some others.
talz13
join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

talz13

Sweet, now just make that at least 60-90 days with the same $5 top off and we have a deal!
pabster
join:2001-12-09
Waterloo, IA

pabster

Would be nice, but compared to what others offer in the prepaid space I'm not complaining about $5 to keep the data bucket rolled over each month.