Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to BronsCon

Re: [Rant] Leaving Comcast..... if they'll let me go...

You didn't pay your bill on time. That's going to bite you on the behind. That was your F-up #1, now you've likely forfeited the visa card, and yes, you'll need to pay the ETF (or about 10x as much to your lawyer to get out of it) if you want out.

I'm not a lawyer myself but I have seen the people's court.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

You missed the part where I signed up in December, was installed in January, and the card was supposed to ship after 90 days, so in April. It's now December again.

I didn't pay the bill because the credit I was promised would have taken care of it. Had they kept their word, there would have been no past due bill.

Edit: You don't need a lawyer in civil court. All I have to do is prove that I paid my bill on time for the first 3 months of service, which I can do with cancelled checks.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

Doesn't matter about the timeline for the ETF. Not sure if Comcast or a third party reseller offered you the visa card, but for sure you can kiss the ETF fee goodbye if you really want to leave.
--

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit

The card was offered by Comcast directly, that's who I contacted to set up service. I'm not sure how familiar you are with contract law, but that Visa card being shipped after 90 days of service was part of the inducement of that contract. By definition, any inducement to a contract becomes a term of that contract.

EDIT:
Also note that I'm claiming breach of contract, whereby I would no longer be held in the contract, as they failed to fulfill their own terms. I am *not* claiming fraudulent inducement, which would result in the contract for service never having been legally formed to begin with, entitling me to all funds paid to Comcast as a result of said contract. That's not reasonable, as I'm sure they intended to send the card at some point and they did otherwise provide service. The fact is, however, regardless of intentions, the card was not sent as agreed, despite my having followed up with them on several occasions regarding that matter.

Failing to sent the card after 90 days was minor, and I would still be held in that contract; failing to send it after 11 months and several inquiries is breach of contract plain and simple. What's more, they'd be hard-pressed to provide me with a signed contract, or any documentation given to me prior to (or during the first 90 days of) installation and activation of my services listing the term of the contract as 24 months rather than the 12 months I was lead to believe I was agreeing to (I had no intentions of staying at this address for longer than that when I set up service), because no such documentation exists.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Exactly....I still think you need to talk to the folks in Pa. and not your local office. (what do they know)

I hope you asked about that cards where-a-bouts at least once since the beginning of your contract.

I am almost begging you to call the head office. I am confident they will make things right. And no way in hell I could say that about a local office......no way!
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Yes, I asked about the card mid april (90 days would have been April 4th) and was told that it could take 4-6 weeks to arrive. I inquired again 8 weeks later and was told a supervisor would call me; no call. I inquired a 3rd time when I called to cancel before they talked me into having a 3rd tech come out and was told that a supervisor would contact me; no call. I inquired again the morning of 11-26 before heading to the office to return my equipment and was, again, told to expect a call from a supervisor. Guess what never happened?

Yup, I did my part to help them abide by the terms of the contract.

I'll see what the office can do for me since I know my equipment is still there and they can verify on the spot that it was returned. If I have no luck there, I will definitely call HQ.

Edit: Typo "they"->"them"

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

I am hoping the best for you. I am tired of hearing crap like this going on between Comcast and their customers.

I know it happens every where else....but that's not the subject here.
--

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

It doesn't happen EVERYWHERE else... I never had an issue with Cox in Ohio except when a neighbor was stealing cable off my line; after I became friends with their LP department, the problems went away tho. Never, in 11 years as a wireless customer and having DSL at two different locations,m had an issue with AT&T, be it with billing, service, or what have you. Just my 2 cents.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA

Guess I was just speaking of my own experience. Companies now a days just seem to have their noses up in the air when it comes to customer complaints. You know...the customer is never right anymore it seems. (at least in some of my run ins) And Comcast has been the worst of them all for me.
And you can bet they know me well now (local office, thanks to the head office), and actually respect me. And I now give them respect back.
--

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

The girl at the SC was great (see my reply to rody), but we'll see if she follows through.

And yes, I agree, in general corporations have their heads up their arses. I was just giving two counterexamples, each worth roughly a penny, thus my two cents. :P

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

Im pretty sure there has never been a 12 month contract promotion that involves you getting 300.00 gift card. Good luck tho.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

Just leave it at that you're not a lawyer.

People's Court informs viewers about the law about as well as House teaches viewers about medicine.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Im pretty sure there has never been a 12 month contract promotion that involves you getting 300.00 gift card. Good luck tho.

Who said 300?

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

said by JohnInSJ:

People's Court informs viewers about the law about as well as House teaches viewers about medicine.

Aww damn and I thought I was gonna fast-track through med school.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to rody_44

Rody, can I ask what would make you the authority on Comcast's promotions in the California market?

Once you've answered that, go ahead and take the time to comprehend my posts here. You'll find that the missed bill was supposed to be wiped out by a credit (not refusal to pay or any claim that I wouldn't pay). I hadn't looked at the November bill at the point when my service had been disconnected because A) it wasn't due yet, B) I didn't get paid until the 28th and, thus, couldn't pay it anyway (I was disconnected on the 25th). My understanding during this time was that the credit I was promised wiped out the first bill and my account was current. Further, my understanding, from a rep in Comcast's billing department, was that they did not disconnect services to phone subscribers who were less than 3 months past due, which I was not. Yes, it is my fault I didn't look at the bull the day it came out and notice that the credit was never applied, f me for trusting their word, I guess. I never said I wouldn't pay that bill, though.

If I am not under contract, can you explain why I was told that there are 13 months remaining on my contract and that my ETF at this time will be $105? Sure sounds like Comcast is under the impression that I'm under contract still.

Sorry you tried to cheat the system and lost, but let's not transfer that to me because that's not the case here.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

Just my 17 years that i worked for them. And the same as a customer. Comcast does not and has never offered a 12 month contract that gives a 300.00 gift card. Am i surprised that you were told you were under contract. Not at all. The 300.00 gift card promo around the country involves two year agreements and always have. Disconnect times vary around the country and some may make 90 days past due. But that would be highly unusual. Its usually 60 days past due for physical disconnect and as little as 10 days for a soft disconnect. I quit this year but my final 6 years was for Comcast collections so i do know a little bit about what im talking about.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

said by JohnInSJ:

your humor detector is broken.
--

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Just my 17 years that i worked for them. And the same as a customer. Comcast does not and has never offered a 12 month contract that gives a 300.00 gift card. Am i surprised that you were told you were under contract. Not at all. The 300.00 gift card promo around the country involves two year agreements and always have. Disconnect times vary around the country and some may make 90 days past due. But that would be highly unusual. Its usually 60 days past due for physical disconnect and as little as 10 days for a soft disconnect. I quit this year but my final 6 years was for Comcast collections so i do know a little bit about what im talking about.

I think he's scratching his head now after realizing that you may acutally know something better than him after working with Comcast...

to the OP...

what do you think you're chances are of winning in court if you were to file a suit? with a petty suit like this, they might just settle with you for say max of $500 or even 1k? because they think you might just be wasting their time. this way, your out of their radar and out of their system.

other than that, you may be fighting an uphill battle that in the end, might not give you an outstanding outcome that you might expect from out of this.

I think you're better off talking calmly [while playing dumb] to a comcast rep to give you better results.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to rody_44

Good for you. Again, who said $300?

The girl at the SC yesterday said yes, I am under contract. She's pulling the contract today and calling me. I'll also be receiving a copy of it, since I never did originally (it may have been displayed on my screen at some point, must have if I "signed" it, but I have no physical copy of it). I do, however, have the promotional materials, as well as every single bill and work order from the day I ordered service, up until today. The promo materials don't say $300, and neither do I; once again, it's $250. If you worked for Comcast for 17 years in any department remotely related to CS, you'd know of that promotion, I'm sure. Oh, look, it's even on Comcast's site this morning.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to medbuyer

I wasn't scratching my head, I was sleeping (possibly getting ready for work or eating breakfast, I'm not sure whether the post time displayed is my local time or "DSLReports time"). Here on the west coast it's only just now 8AM. And I'm still not scratching my head.

Who said anything about suing them for money? I'd love for them to settle for $500 or $1k, that would give me enough to pay the balance of my bill, as well as the ETF, with between $100 and $600 to spare. I'm not out for money, though; I'm out to have the $105 ETF waived due to them not holding their end of the contract. A $500-1000 settlement exceeds what I'm seeking by $390-895 and they're welcome to throw money at me if they wish.

I think you, asjamas, and rody misunderstand what I'm after, here.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Thaler:

said by JohnInSJ:

your humor detector is broken.

I know, right?

Gah, everyone's being so serious in this thread. This is being dealt with. There is a small group of people at Comcast who do things right and they all seem to work at my local SC.