spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PPPRogers

@rogers.com

[Extreme Plus] To switch or not?

Hello, I'm currently deciding on whether to stay on Rogers but to upgrade from the Express plan to Extreme Plus, mainly because every month it costs $100 just for Express, (12mbps down, 512kbs up) mainly because I go over the cap, by a lot, or switch to Teksavvy, because they're offering 24mbps down, 1mbps up for cable internet, with unlimited usage. But, I've heard some complaints about dchp + poi problems or w/e, and I'm just wondering which is the better decision? I live around the Scarborough Town Centre area if that matters.

Window7

join:2011-12-22

Scarb as well as other areas of Toronto are down for TekSavvy with no ETA on a fix. With Teksavvy while you will pay less and have higher bandwidth caps you are at the mercy of a 48 hour turn around time on just a response on any technical issues and that isn't even guaranteed to be a resolution.

Just fair warning.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to PPPRogers

I would suggest waiting till after the holidays before switching to TekSavvy cable as Rogers has currently suspended all network changes until after new years.

The best thing to do is keep on eye on the TekSavvy forum for updates on the status of Scarborough. I've personally have had 0 issues on my TekSavvy cable in Ottawa so I can definitely recommend them as a replacement for Rogers.

bfksc
Unlimited on Distributel

join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON
reply to PPPRogers

said by PPPRogers :

Hello, I'm currently deciding on whether to stay on Rogers but to upgrade from the Express plan to Extreme Plus, mainly because every month it costs $100 just for Express, (12mbps down, 512kbs up) mainly because I go over the cap, by a lot, or switch to Teksavvy, because they're offering 24mbps down, 1mbps up for cable internet, with unlimited usage. But, I've heard some complaints about dchp + poi problems or w/e, and I'm just wondering which is the better decision? I live around the Scarborough Town Centre area if that matters.

Read the TekSavvy forum for details of some issues like POI upgrades, etc. But I wouldn't let that stop you from jumping ship from Rogers or Bell or any other large carrier that overcharges and underdelivers.

I've been using Rogers for internet for the last 5 years, mainly because I had no other choice where I lived. But I moved recently and in my new house Distributel offers internet service over the Rogers lines, so I signed up with them (TekSavvy was in a holding pattern for my area). It's been great with solid service, no downtime, good speeds (~25mbps down/1mbps up with large transfers - Speedtest shows ~31mbps average but that's Rogers' speedboost kicking in).

With Rogers I was always approaching the usage limits and had to watch what the family did to not go over. With Distributel (or TekSavvy 300/UL) there are no bandwidth limits so I don't have to worry, although I doubt I'll break 150-200gigs in a month.

So compared to Rogers' Express service, for less money per month ($50 compared to $47+7 rental) I get more speed down and up (24/1 compared to 12/0.5), no bandwidth limits and no hairpulling.

I'm a happy camper.

Gongster
Gongster Enterprises
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Markham, ON
reply to PPPRogers

I switched to Teksavvy cable just recently. I'm located in Markham and no speed issues here.