uniqs
share rss forum feed

dMarks
Melting Faces For Fun
Premium
join:2007-02-09
Jackson, MI

Too old to reply to?

I came across a topic in a forum on these boards that I wished to respond to. This topic was on the front page of the forum, within the top 15 posts. I felt that I had input that could be useful for the poster. However, this post was a few months old (in a forum that doesn't see regular postings...remember that). I tried to respond but got a page that said the post was too old to reply to. While I can understand the reluctance to 'necro' a topic that might be considered old, this post was not pages away, but on the first page within the top posts / replies.

I was unable to reply because it was considered too old (only a few months old but on first page). This issue should be rectified, or the board on which this post was made should be removed since apparently it doesn't receive the attention needed for people to reply to.
--
Windows 7 64 Professional|AMD FX 8150|Asus Crosshair Formula V Motherboard|8GB G.Skill Sniper Series 1866 DDR3 RAM|EVGA GTX560 Ti (Fermi) DS SuperClocked x2|Corsair CMPSU 850HX 850w Modular|Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Case

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

2 recommendations

Would you consider giving just a wee bit more information?
What was the forum?

Unlike some other boards, DSLR discourages reincarnating old, dead threads. Those threads have a way of continuing on again long after there is any usefull input possible.

One workaround is to try to reply to the newest post, since sometimes that is unlocked even when the main thread isn't.
The other suggested approach is to start a new thread, with a link to reference the old thread. That way, people realize that they are responding to an aged topic.

And, yes, some forums get so quiet that they eventuially get moved to the "going away soon" area.

Hope this helps.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to dMarks

Thats quite annoying to i might add!

Who cares when something was last replied to?? If you have something to add to a thread,WHY REPOST THE SAME TOPIC??

I dunno......

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL
I could not disagree with you more.
Adding to a year-old topic that even the original poster has forgotten is just foolish.
Too many people here don't bother to read the thread.. They jump to the end, read a few posts and pick up the gist, and fire off a thought. They don't realize that the thread was actually ended 6 months or more ago, and that the OP isn't interested any more.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to dMarks

Re: Too old to reply to?

One thing you can do is ask a moderator of that forum to add a reply to the topic, which then would allow you to reply to their reply. Some mods will do that; others will ask you to start a new topic and link to the older one. It never hurts to ask.
--
their dreams a tattered sail in the wind

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Spensergig

Re:  

said by Spensergig:

They don't realize that the thread was actually ended 6 months or more ago, and that the OP isn't interested any more.

This is the giant fallacy that often fuels the premature closing of threads. It is not about the original poster. It is about the issue the original poster brought up. An issue that another user is now experiencing.

These issues typically have relevance to many people across the entire computer using community--a worldwide community of billions of people connected by the internet. And that relevance often exists for years.

Not all technology changes every six months. Many people are still using Windows XP although it is 7 years old. It is still possible to access DOS commands that are the same as they were 20 years ago.

Asking a moderator to reopen a thread is an option, but usually not a good one. It is an extra step and more trouble than the average person in the average circumstances want's to bother with. Placing hurdles in front of people and then suggesting they jump over them is not going to be popular.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

said by TomBrooklyn:

This is the giant fallacy that often fuels the premature closing of threads. It is not about the original poster. It is about the issue the original poster brought up. An issue that another user is now experiencing.

You have that backwards.

If you have the same problem, you are supposed to start your own thread. Don't try to "hijack" an old thread. You can provide a link to the old thread if you think it is relevant.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 9.0.1

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
I always feel wierd on sites that make a big deal about DATES,makes me feel restricted and that makes me sad......

I have found some PRETTY GOOD stuff on some sites,1 thread had a last reply from 1999

I think ppl need to worry more about things that really matter and that isnt one of them
Expand your moderator at work