All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

[DIRECTV] HD Dvr and Sd TV install Question

Is there going to be a way for my install guy to hook up a hr22 or hr25 to either a tv with only a coax input on the back of the television set. Or another television set with just rca type audio/video connections on the back?

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology
The HD (HD/DVR) boxes have all ports active and can connect to SD tv's through composite (RCA) inputs. They don't have coax outputs however. You would just set the boxes to output a 480i(p) signal.

If you have to do coax only, then you can get a rca-coax adapter at many places (walmart, target, best buy, monoprice.com).

I have read that some install cos. won't install a HD box on a SD set unless they can verify that it will work. YMMV.
--
Certified Jenius!

handsoftime

@sbcglobal.net
Cool, I'll see if they'll do it for me.

Storm97
Premium
join:2003-04-14
Evanston, WY
reply to handsoftime
Just an FYI, with the new HD guide being pushed to all HD receivers... If you are going to hook up an HD box to a standard TV (either direct over RCA or through a modulator) make sure you set your resolution on the box to 480i, or the lowest setting. If you don't, once the new guide pushes, you will either get a nag screen that won't go away until you do it, or you will not get your guide at all... (it will simply not display)
--
Words of advice for today... "Be Happy, Drink Coffee, Drive Safe!"

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to handsoftime
This is indeed an ongoing issue with people that have HD DVR's or receivers attached to an SD set. And from what I have heard, it gets *really annoying* to have to press OK on the nag screen every time you hit "guide" or "list".

If you do not have any plans to upgrade to an HD television set within the next year or more, I would ask for a SD DVR.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology
said by maartena:

This is indeed an ongoing issue with people that have HD DVR's or receivers attached to an SD set. And from what I have heard, it gets *really annoying* to have to press OK on the nag screen every time you hit "guide" or "list".

If you do not have any plans to upgrade to an HD television set within the next year or more, I would ask for a SD DVR.

The problem with that advise is if you DO plan to upgrade the TV to HD in 1-2 years, when you upgrade to an HD receiver, it will mean another 2-yr commitment added on. Some people don't like being re-committed.
--
Certified Jenius!