« VoLTE
This is a sub-selection from More like De-Evolution

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to elray

Re: More like De-Evolution

said by elray:

Using more spectrum, via your wireless broadband connection, to make the same phone call, simply to escape cellphone minute charges, seems rather backward to me.

Call it whatever you want. I would much rather be able to use a data package over my phone and make call over data and not pay for minutes at all.

Would save me a lot of money.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
said by DataRiker:

Would save me a lot of money.

Until the carriers catch up with monetizing the emerging technology

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH
like capped data plan packages instead of unlimited

openbox9
Premium
Germany
That's the first iteration. They'll eventually come up with a way to monetize you using VoIP over WiFi in lieu of consuming your allotment of voice dialing from your carrier.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
said by openbox9:

That's the first iteration. They'll eventually come up with a way to monetize you using VoIP over WiFi in lieu of consuming your allotment of voice dialing from your carrier.

I don't really see how. Voice takes up a very tiny amount of data and I don't see how they could possibly restrict it.

Just goes to show how cheaply carriers could process voice if they had proper motivation.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
My guess is that it will be a combination of indirect methods as well as continuing to require some tier of voice minutes with mobile phone plans...or maybe even all data plans