share rss forum feed

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to ronus

Re: Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 Complete?

said by ronus:

The "complete" DOCSIS 3.0 spec. as I understand it bonds channels on UPSTREAM as well as DOWNSTREAM. If you your modem isn't boding channels on both then it's not truly "complete". While I have 4 bonded channels on DOWNSTREAM on my Blast tier, The modem only reports 1 channel on the upstream. Therefore in my area DOCSIS 3.0 is NOT "complete". Apparently, they really mean that they have only completed half of the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade.

As the spec doesn't limit the number of bonded channels then I guess they're not "complete" on the downstream either then as they don't have an unlimited number of channels bonded. It's not complete until I see listed as the number of channels bonded

A.k.a. your understanding is wrong. While the spec does allow for bonded channels, it does not require them.

/M

ronus

join:2003-02-09
Dallas, GA
Your understanding of my point is wrong, not my understanding of the spec. It doesn't "require" them to bond channels. However I do not believe Comcast CMTs in my area are DOCSIS 3.0 compliant on the upstream. While they can bond channels on the downstream they can't on the upstream. My point is that they made the comment that their DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades were complete. It's not "complete" unless they are capable of doing it on the upstream also.