spc
Search similar:

uniqs
arvinder
join:2011-02-11
Brampton, ON

arvinder

[Express] Is Rogers' current rental modem better than the SB5101

Hi. I have had the Motorola SB5101N for a few years now and was just wondering if I go to Rogers Plus and exchange it, would the modem they rent me back be better than the one I have right now? I am on Express 12/0.5 so DOCSIS 2.0 would be rented I guess. Thanks

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

Re: [Express] Is Rogers' current rental modem better than the SB

no DONT DO IT

keep the surfboard modem you have now, its like teh friggin best. once you switch to those gateway crapolas you will have nothing but problems

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc to arvinder

to arvinder
said by arvinder:

Hi. I have had the Motorola SB5101N for a few years now and was just wondering if I go to Rogers Plus and exchange it, would the modem they rent me back be better than the one I have right now? I am on Express 12/0.5 so DOCSIS 2.0 would be rented I guess. Thanks

If you want to switch, make sure you switch only with the Cisco DPC3825 which is DOCSIS 3 and works well. Do NOT accept the SMC models. Note that your modem rental fee will be increased to $7/mth for it.

Unless you have congestion issues on your node and it's slowing your connection, you don't need to upgrade yet. The biggest benefit to DOCSIS 3 is channel bonding which can help alleviate congestion issues as the connection is spread over multiple channels instead of just one.

XR999
See ya Rogers.
join:2010-05-24
Ottawa, ON

XR999 to arvinder

to arvinder
As long as you get your current speeds, don't experience congestion and have no need for higher speeds, leave well enough alone and keep that SB5101N. If though you want higher speeds or congestion ever does become a problem, do go in, but like already suggested, insist on the Cisco DPC3825, DO NOT EVER accept an SMC model (which are complete and utter garbage). Also be aware that the Cisco DPC3825 is a modem/router combo, with the router being pretty bad, but the modem is excellent so if you get one, just call Rogers, have them put it into bridge mode and use your own wireless router.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc

said by XR999:

Also be aware that the Cisco DPC3825 is a modem/router combo, with the router being pretty bad

Actually the router section isn't all that bad. It's fast with good throughput and uses gigabit wired connections. It's not as detailed as many regular routers, but it works well.The real issue is that Rogers can, in theory, access the LAN behind the router which is why people recommend you switch to bridged mode.

but the modem is excellent so if you get one, just call Rogers, have them put it into bridge mode and use your own wireless router.

No need to call...just log into the router and switch it into bridged mode yourself. Login info is:

username: rogcesadmin
password: nas00Rn7TU
arvinder
join:2011-02-11
Brampton, ON

arvinder

Thanks everyone, I'll keep my Motorola. The Cisco seems like a good deal, but with my current speeds, I don't expect DOCSIS 3.0 to make a difference.