Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

2 edits

2 recommendations

2012 Modem Poll

Choose what modem you lease or own.
If you have two modems: 1 for HSI & 1 for CDV, choose the one you use for HSI.

This list is taken from Comcast's list of Approved Modems
If you don't see your modem, choose "Other".

This Poll is intended to give members information about what modems Comcast customers are using.
It's not intended to debate which is best.

If you have Arris-602G/CT, please reply to this post --> »Arris 602G/CT

--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

5341 I have, it's great, but not much point getting it with the 5341j out.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Johkal

Unfortunately, this will be somewhat skewed as most readers here are probably more technically oriented than the average person.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

That's irrelevant. It's a simple poll for anyone asking the question: "What modem do you recommend?"
The average customer who just uses their connection to read email, access Facebook, etc. would normally be leasing a modem & wouldn't care about what modem they have.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to Johkal

Over 200 views,and only a little over 50 votes,same with my last years modem poll.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

It's cool! The modem polls started years back just for curiosity. Even with a small sample size of participants, it has given a descent overview of what's being used out there.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Ripper

Not unusual, people can be curious about the result, even if they don't have a specific recomendation or experince with D3 & ComCast.
I could only recommend the 6120, because that's the only one I have extend experience with, but the 6121 should be similar and I'm definatly watching reviews and views of people with the 8 channel down modems for a future purchase.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

2 recommendations

reply to Johkal

I think the concept of trying to gauge "use" rather than "best" is a good idea.

That way, when someone with limited experience comes to the conclusion of "since I saw 12 complaints about xxx modem on this forum, therefore it must be inferior," we can keep it in perspective when we can see that particular modem currently has the largest percentage of use.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

That was my thought also. The older Polls did ask for "Best" by opinion; but with so much subjectivity, it was a source of debate with no definitive resolution.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

Good poll Johkal See Profile ! A perfect way to start the new year !

My selection is in. 5341J

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

2 edits
reply to Johkal

Arris 602G/CT

Well, my Comcast-supplied modem is not on the list. It is an Arris 602G/CT, so I didn't vote.

Mod Edit: See also ---> »Re: 2012 Modem Poll

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to Johkal

Re: 2012 Modem Poll

The distinction between "lease" and "own" is an important one. While it appears the the majority have DOCSIS 3 modems, I'd be surprised if the majority own DOCSIS 3 modems since they're still overpriced and unnecessary.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ctggzg:

The distinction between "lease" and "own" is an important one. While it appears the the majority have DOCSIS 3 modems, I'd be surprised if the majority own DOCSIS 3 modems since they're still overpriced and unnecessary.

Good point. Mine is leased, and is DOCSIS 2, as I only have 15/2.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to owlyn

said by owlyn:

Well, my Comcast-supplied modem is not on the list. It is an Arris 602G/CT, so I didn't vote.

"If you don't see your modem, choose "Other"

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

I'd be surprised if the majority own DOCSIS 3 modems since they're still overpriced and unnecessary.

Same old opinion of yours, same old opinion of mine;

There are benefits to be had by using a D3 capable modem on an upgraded to D3 system such as increased connection reliability due to the multiple bonded channel redundancy and failover capability. There are also increased capacity/reduced congestion benefits which result in increased reliability of receiving one's provisioned speeds especially during times of peak usage/demand. Higher Powerboost assisted speeds have been noted as well. It's a win win for both the provider and the subscriber.

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
reply to Johkal

I get much better signals with the 5341J then I did with the 5341 or the 6120.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

The distinction between "lease" and "own" is an important one. While it appears the the majority have DOCSIS 3 modems, I'd be surprised if the majority own DOCSIS 3 modems.

Looking at the results so far, the top 3 modems which are D3 modems are available for purchase. (i.e. SB6120, SB6121 & 5341J). Know that if someone inquiring about new modems was to use this Poll as simple tool, it would be irrelevant whether they were leasing or buying. They see what Comcast customers on this forum are using, inquire about their top choices, find out if it's available for lease or purchase & then make their decision.
--

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Average cost per modem might help people too since the Zoom is for the most part a lot cheaper than either of the surfboards.

hclarkjr

join:2002-08-09
Hostetter, PA
reply to Johkal

i have a moto sb6121 that i own

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

2 recommendations

reply to Johkal

Just to address a few questions:
If anyone voting would like to post additional info. such as whether their modem is own or leased, if it's D2 or D3 capable, price of modem, etc., feel free to add a comment.

When deciding what modems to include in this Poll, there were many I could have added like EOLs, less common variations of models, etc.. but I chose to use Comcast's list of approved modems. With their list, it will assure that the modem you can lease or purchase is supported by Comcast.
--

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI
reply to Johkal

I voted for SB6120, but just realized I've got the SB5120. mea culpa.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

Zoom 5341J. own. I had a sb6120,but it was damaged when I tripped over the cable... . Both deliver about the same on speed tests, but the Zoom is 8x4. I only get 4x1 now, but I'm ready when Comcast is...

Just my 2 cents...My old sb5100 would only get about half the upload as the D3 modems
...and during peak hrs it would really slow down from congestion...So IMHO any D3 modem with bonded channels works better than any D2 on an upgraded system....

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to Johkal

Motorola 6120, own, NO issues with this modem at any time since I bought it.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

Great Poll Johkal See Profile, I voted the Cisco DPC3000 as that is what I am using although I do see the Zoom 5341J is gaining in popularity with good reviews.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Johkal

But the list is not 100% correct. I know of at least one Comcast supplied (and therefor approved) modem that is not on the list- the one I have. There could be others. I wonder what the additional letters after the Arris model numbers mean. For example, I have a TM602G/CT. The TM602G is the main part of the model number, but I wonder if the additional letters "CT" have an relevant meaning. A quick Google search suggests that they might:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivi···p/949273

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

Just for information, you can't add to a poll list without breaking the poll. So, Johkal See Profile would need to start over every time someone wants a modem added.

I think he did well to go with the current list Comcast provided and I suspect he knew there are others in use.

A search of this forum on "TM602" only got 36 hits before this post, so it doesn't seem often mentioned here.

See ---> »/nsearch?q=TM6···95494573

Hopefully, anyone other than you who is using it will reply to one of your posts in this topic so we get an idea how it compares to those in the poll?

I added a link to your first post in this topic to the bottom of the original post.

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

reply to owlyn

Doing a bit of research, it may appear that the "CT" is a Comcast only version of the TM602G. Therefore, all TM602Gs leased by Comast are "CT" versions. On the Arris site, they do not list a "CT" version; only "G". Doing a search here on BBR, yields that the 'CT" description only shows up on the Comcast forum. The standard "G" version shows up for other cable providers.

Arris site for ref: »www.arrisi.com/support/guides/600_series.asp

This should be a good start for you if you feel inclined to investigate this further.
--

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Johkal

Not much love for the SB5100. Most of them must have died by now lol.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to Johkal

I have a SB5100 that I purchased back in 2005. It still works just fine. I have the standard 12/2 service so I don't see any point in "upgrading" to a newer D3 modem when this one still works without any problem. Over the years Comcast has attempted twice to claim my modem as theirs, so I've kept the receipt of my purchase just in case.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BiggA

said by BiggA:

Not much love for the SB5100. Most of them must have died by now lol.

Not at all I still have my working 6 year old 5100 on the 'reserve' shelf, but I listed the modem I currently use.
even though 5100's are still fairly useful, I wouldn't recommend shopping for any older modem, but if offered for free/very cheap, it's a great budget choice.