dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
This is a sub-selection from outgoing does cost.

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

FarmerBob to jacobslive

to jacobslive

Re: outgoing does cost.

Directly from the VOIPo.com "All VOIPo Features At A Glance" page:

Caller ID w/ Name
All accounts include fully functional Caller ID with both name and number.

and

*67 Outbound Caller ID Blocking
Don't wish to disclose your information on a particular call? Not a problem. Simply dialing *67 before calling automatically blocks your outgoing Caller ID.

The second one is kinda vague, but they do say "Caller ID", "your information" and "outgoing Caller ID", not "Calling Number" which leads one to believe that they'll get what we all know as Caller ID. Until this thread it never really dawned on me that, as many times as I thought I might need the blocking feature, my Outgoing Caller ID was not real Caller ID . . .
jacobslive
Premium Member
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA

jacobslive

Premium Member

said by FarmerBob:

Directly from the VOIPo.com "All VOIPo Features At A Glance" page:

Caller ID w/ Name

and

*67 Outbound Caller ID Blocking
Don't wish to disclose your information on a particular call? Not a problem. Simply dialing *67 before calling automatically blocks your outgoing Caller ID.

The second one is kinda vague, but they do say "Caller ID", "your information" and "outgoing Caller ID", not "Calling Number" which leads one to believe that they'll get what we all know as Caller ID. Until this thread it never really dawned on me that, as many times as I thought I might need the blocking feature, my Outgoing Caller ID was not real Caller ID . . .

I think you are misunderstood the fact. You saw the feature at voipo.com is for incoming caller ID. I was concerned about the outbound caller ID.

This is what voipo customer care replied to my support ticket.

"Hello,

Outgoing callerID is not supported.
Only the number is sent.

Some carriers may try to show the area the number is registered to.
In such cases, your number will likely show the city or state that the number is from.
"

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

FarmerBob

I fully understand way more than you know. I grew up in corporate advertising and rebranding. Did a rebranding of a divestiing baby bell in the late 80's.

Caller ID w/ Name

There is really nothing being said about which direction. The ambiguity of this tells me standard outgoing POTS style CID. If this is not true, the copy on the website needs to be changed to accurately represent what is actually meant.

Can't wait to see the long awaited "Users Manual". It'll probably read like stereo instructions in some obscure Bisayan dialect.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

It really does seem that they provide Caller ID, inbound and outbound, with the way it is worded. My understanding was that if you ported in a number that already had caller ID it would show up on outbound calls.
delius
join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

delius

who pays those prices nowadays
try // voip.ms
jacobslive
Premium Member
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA

jacobslive to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

It really does seem that they provide Caller ID, inbound and outbound, with the way it is worded. My understanding was that if you ported in a number that already had caller ID it would show up on outbound calls.

They do provide caller ID, but no caller ID name. For example if a person called "Bob Builder" call you from 123-456-7890 your caller ID will show

BUILDER BOB
123-456-7890

But with Magicjack and Voipo, it will show in few other ways, such as:
123-456-7890

UNKNOWN CALLER
123-456-7890

ANONYMOUS
123-456-7890

in in very rare case STATE NAME or AREA NAME
123-456-7890
etc.

It depends on the service provider for the receiving party. But no name is transmitted by voipo.
This is a sub-selection from outgoing does cost.