FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Franchise Tax Blah

So according to the franchise tax board, they estimated that I owe them $685 from the tax year 2009.

I had just moved back from Colorado in July of 2009, and was on CO unemployment through the remainder of the year, finally gaining employment on January 18, 2010.

They garnished my wages recently, I got them to reduce it to $50/pay period and I manually filed my 2009 forms, showing $0 income for the year.

It's been over 6 weeks and they still haven't processed it.

I just filed my 2011 taxes over the weekend.

Now, in addition to the lien on my paycheck, they're going to suck up the balance of what they say I owe from my refund due this year...

...and I just get to wait until the finally process the 2009 papers, realize they took money they weren't due, and decide to give it back... I wonder if I'll get interest?

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the bulb and one to rotate the universe.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1

nope. sorry bout that. You might be able to take them to court on this, but it will cost you more than your refund.
--
Never insult seven men when all you have is a six shooter

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I'm definately going to get the money back; it's just a matter of when...

At least my refund this year is greater than the balance they say I owe, so I'm still getting something right away.

Feds, I still owe $1400 for my 2008 tax year; same scenario there. They'll take what I owe and give me the balance.

But at least then I'll be DONE with them. Thank god!

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to TheRul

CRAP! I just got another W2 in the mail today.

Must have been for the last week in 2010 that didn't get paid out until January 2011.

Since I already e-filed I now have to wait and file an amendment in February when the 1040X form is available (unless of course they fix it for me prior to issuing my refund).

- FM
--

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to FutureMon

Precisely the reason I'm a procrastinator - Especially when it comes to doing my taxes!

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

I filed, and in 4 days got my return. Woohoo! Thank you State!
--
Never insult seven men when all you have is a six shooter

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

said by TheRul:

"Thank you State"...for what??

Taking your money and and then giving back a small percentage? And you think they are doing you some kinda favor by refunding a tiny portion of what they stole in a few days after you have to beg them in writing? Man, they got you snowed.

I kick myself for submitting to that lunacy for as long as I did.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

At least they're not handing out IOU's like back in the day.

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

exactly. No IOU and a quick turn around.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

CA FTB Told me it would take two weeks for me to get mine.

Theoretically I should be getting my Fed refund this coming Wednesday.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to dogma

said by dogma:

said by TheRul:

"Thank you State"...for what??

Taking your money and and then giving back a small percentage? And you think they are doing you some kinda favor by refunding a tiny portion of what they stole in a few days after you have to beg them in writing? Man, they got you snowed.

I kick myself for submitting to that lunacy for as long as I did.

Well, it's better to be slightly over than slightly under, I've found.

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Mclean, VA
reply to FutureMon

said by FutureMon:

CA FTB Told me it would take two weeks for me to get mine.

Theoretically I should be getting my Fed refund this coming Wednesday.

Submitted on the 14th and still haven't gotten mine; meanwhile, my refunds from the Feds is also on Wednesday. Last year, they stated that they never received my W2 information from my employer, looks like it happened again.
--
"If it can't be done with brains, it can't be done with hours" - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Well I got my paycheck auto-deposited; still nothing from Fed. I hope it shows up sometime today. My guess is it's not gonna even show up until Midnight tonight so it posts tomorrow.

Never did the direct-deposit from tax refund before. Last year I had to opt for the Turbotax debit visa because my bank changed it's routing # for direct deposits and I didn't want to risk it going into the ether.

That was a major hassle all on it's own; having to go to a specific ATM and make the maximum withdrawls, daily, for like 4 days in a row just to clean out the card and put the money where I wanted it.

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

Still waiting for my fed. It tells me the 7th.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

I just did the online check for both fed and state. Got the same crap answer for both.

"Information regarding your return is unavailable at this time"

- FM

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

Now the fed is saying by February 7th, and CA says within 10 days of January 26th.

- FM

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV

1 edit
reply to TheRul

said by TheRul:

Still waiting for my fed. It tells me the 7th.

said by FutureMon:

Now the fed is saying by February 7th, and CA says within 10 days of January 26th.

- FM

Has either one of you ever considered changing the number of dependents on your W4?

Handy IRS-ain't-Santa-Claus W4 deduction calc: »www.taxbrain.com/taxcenter/w4calculator.asp

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

yep, already done.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to dogma

For FY 2011 I filed head-of-household with 2 deductions. Myself and my Daughter.

This year I'll be filing Single-1 since my daughter moved in with her mom for High School. That's gonna make a big difference next tax season...

- FM
--

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to dogma

said by dogma:

Has either one of you ever considered changing the number of dependents on your W4?

Handy IRS-ain't-Santa-Claus W4 deduction calc: »www.taxbrain.com/taxcenter/w4calculator.asp

I have. I claim two for the whole year. Besides that, I deduct for my house, union dues and car registration. Since I got all my forms, I'm only getting 390 Feds and 241 State. That's my spending money for my vacation I'm taking this year.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto

1 edit
reply to FutureMon

said by FutureMon:

- FM

No IOU's so far, but I did see an article stating the state is low on cash so another possible round of IOU's. Get your taxes in ASAP for that refund.

EDIT: Here's the article.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

said by Boricua:

said by FutureMon:

- FM

No IOU's so far, but I did see an article stating the state is low on cash so another possible round of IOU's. Get your taxes in ASAP for that refund.

Got my state refund yesterday...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

Interestingly enough; my CA refund was in the mail today - even though I requested direct deposit...

- FM

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto

said by FutureMon:

Interestingly enough; my CA refund was in the mail today - even though I requested direct deposit...

- FM

I just did my taxes yesterday and it should be direct deposited within the next couple of weeks.
--

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to FutureMon

I'm still waiting on a W2...

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

If you have access to your final paystub for last year, you can guesstimate the amounts based off of that, go to turbotax.com and at least get an idea of what you're either gonna get back or might have to pay...

- FM

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
reply to FutureMon

Now FTB wants to have us to deduct only certain parts our property taxes.
--

dogma
XYZ
Premium
Boulder City, NV

said by Boricua:

Now FTB wants to have us to deduct only certain parts our property taxes.

Actually, you should have been doing this all along. But since the State is hard up for money, they are beginning to enforce it. Check this out for a clear explanation of how much more the State will be sticking it to your ass in the coming years.

From a cursory look, I guesstimate about 25% - 33% less of a deduction.

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
reply to aztecnology

said by aztecnology:

Got my state refund yesterday...

Just got my state refund a half hour ago. Got the text from my back, woo hoo .
--

Boricua
Premium
Sacramuerto
reply to dogma

said by dogma:

Actually, you should have been doing this all along. But since the State is hard up for money, they are beginning to enforce it. Check this out for a clear explanation of how much more the State will be sticking it to your ass in the coming years.

From a cursory look, I guesstimate about 25% - 33% less of a deduction.

You don't have to tell me twice how much these frackers are going to have fun with us .
--