Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to OhNo2

Premium Member

to OhNo2

Re: [Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

You need to get a hold of someone at a newspaper or a TV station over this. I just can't think of who to get a hold of. Since Cogeco does not own any of the media in Ontario, getting them to print or publish this nightmare should not be a problem.

This was only a matter of time. Lord god almighty. But hey, we all knew this was eventually going to happen.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

Someone should send this off to Ellen Roseman of the Toronto Star.

She is no stranger to the likes of Bell and Rogers., Cogeco would be a fine addition to her blog and consumer section of TorStar.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

This was only a matter of time. Lord god almighty.

Word.

I can't get over it. I'm making arrangements next week for DSL, chopping Cogeco, $75 ETF be damned. I can't do business with a company like that. Fsck that. Never thought I'd say it, but... worse than B#ell.

Net loss to Cogeco for my lost business in the next year - $1593.

Mike

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict

said by dillyhammer:

said by Gone:

This was only a matter of time. Lord god almighty.

Word.

I can't get over it. I'm making arrangements next week for DSL, chopping Cogeco, $75 ETF be damned. I can't do business with a company like that. Fsck that. Never thought I'd say it, but... worse than B#ell.

Net loss to Cogeco for my lost business in the next year - $1593.

Mike

I have been waiting on some IISP's to finalize costing. Now I might not wait.

People, think about it. Even if you are in a situation like me (6m max on DSL), consider indie ISP's that offer MLPPP. Whether you take a data cap or go unlimited its going to be way cheaper than Cogeco.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by ruddypict:

People, think about it. Even if you are in a situation like me (6m max on DSL), consider indie ISP's that offer MLPPP. Whether you take a data cap or go unlimited its going to be way cheaper than Cogeco.

I'm surprised more people aren't playing the "I run a home-based business and need a business account" card. With the way regulatory environment surrounding business accounts and the competition concerns, it is highly unlikely Cogeco will ever start charging overages on business accounts, and on the very super tiny remote off-chance that they do, the limits will be huge compared to what they are in residential.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to ruddypict

Premium Member

to ruddypict
said by ruddypict:

Exactly.

I had 2 X 5/1 dry loops from TSI and it rocked. Sure it was only 10/2, but it was far less than what I'm paying now and the cap was 600GB (at that time).

I think I'll just go with a 25/7 dry loop (unlimited if possible, higher cap at a minimum). Cut my bill in half.

Never thought I'd hear myself saying the thought of giving Cogeco money was worse than giving B#ell money, but that's where I'm at. Nice fscking competitive environment we have eh?

Mike

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

I think I'll just go with a 25/7 dry loop (unlimited if possible, higher cap at a minimum). Cut my bill in half.

As I've said and I'm sure I will say again - you lucky sonofabitch. My heart sank so much when I checked my old address in Niagara Falls and saw it qualified for 16/1 DSL. *sigh* The price way pay for love...
said by dillyhammer:

Never thought I'd hear myself saying the thought of giving Cogeco money was worse than giving B#ell money, but that's where I'm at. Nice fscking competitive environment we have eh?

Yes! What a fucked up world we live in when BCE is the lesser of the two evils!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Gone:

What a fucked up world we live in when BCE is the lesser of the two evils!

Which I see your new avatar reflects quite nicely.

Mike

ruddypict

ruddypict to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I'm surprised more people aren't playing the "I run a home-based business and need a business account" card. With the way regulatory environment surrounding business accounts and the competition concerns, it is highly unlikely Cogeco will ever start charging overages on business accounts, and on the very super tiny remote off-chance that they do, the limits will be huge compared to what they are in residential.

We use our home connection for several business reasons. But there's no way I would sign up for Cogeco Business. If this company would gleefully charge a user several thousands of dollars in overage... its just a matter of time before they start billing business customers.

If they would man up and say "Business is unlimited" I would be there. Their shady practice of "Teehee we won't charge you right now" just smacks way too close of when they used to do that on residential.

How funny though, they just sent my wife adverts to switch her business to Cogeco internet/voip... no thanks we're staying with Caneris business DSL, they don't bill thousands of dollars per month.
ruddypict

ruddypict to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Exactly.

I had 2 X 5/1 dry loops from TSI and it rocked. Sure it was only 10/2, but it was far less than what I'm paying now and the cap was 600GB (at that time).

See I could live in 600GB no problem. I would save a ton of money doing installs remotely instead of burning up gas money.

Currently I would rather buy gas and waste my time driving -- the gas station is monitored by weights and measures so I don't have to worry about a $2400 fill up!!!
said by dillyhammer:

Lucky devil. I would already be switched over!
said by dillyhammer:

Too bad e2fsck doesn't work on them!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to ruddypict

Premium Member

to ruddypict
said by ruddypict:

We use our home connection for several business reasons. But there's no way I would sign up for Cogeco Business. If this company would gleefully charge a user several thousands of dollars in overage... its just a matter of time before they start billing business customers.

The regulatory environment is completely different. Furthermore, Bell doesn't charge any overages on business accounts, so it's unlikely that Cogeco ever will. Business clients are also a lot more likely to kick up a stink and sue another company if they feel they're being wronged.

So really, I think we're safe. At least for the foreseeable future and so long as Bell and the CRTC operate the way they do, anyway.

ruddypict

ruddypict

said by Gone:

The regulatory environment is completely different. Furthermore, Bell doesn't charge any overages on business accounts, so it's unlikely that Cogeco ever will. Business clients are also a lot more likely to kick up a stink and sue another company if they feel they're being wronged.

So really, I think we're safe. At least for the foreseeable future and so long as Bell and the CRTC operate the way they do, anyway.

You make some excellent points. If I was going to stay with Cogeco I'd definitely be more inclined to take the business package.

On the other hand, 2 DSL lines in my area is going to set me back ~$85, and the cap is way more reasonable (600G). Commitment free. Versus Cogeco's business standard which is $99.95 a month without commitments. I'll get less down speed but I should get more upstream.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

....Never thought I'd hear myself saying the thought of giving Cogeco money was worse than giving B#ell money, but that's where I'm at. Nice fscking competitive environment we have eh?

We live in INTERESTING times.