how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rocketr

join:2003-10-09
Pinckney, MI

[Internet] Brighthouse Turbo Slower then my old DSL in Novi, MI

I am located in Novi, MI. I just switched out to brighthouse and my download speeds are terrible. I have a 20Meg circuit and only get about 500K download. I had DSL Elite service from AT&T and always got 600K. When I run the brighthouse speed internal test that is shows 20Meg.

If I can't fix this I'm going to cancel the service. Also there was an outage on my Node yesterday and I have to fight with someone to get that fixed last night. Not happy at all...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151

Re: [Internet] Brighthouse Turbo Slower then my old DSL in Novi,

If your on-net tests show 20mbps then what are you using to measure your speeds? Be specific and also point me to the site so I can do some checking of my own. Post screenshots of your BHN test results and lastly PM me your modem MAC and IP please.

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
I measure by downloads of known sites. For example downloads from Cisco, Ubuntu updates, etc. I have a AT&T DS3 I'm testing the downloads vs. testing on the Brighthouse connection. Wonder if you guys are running a QoS policy on the downloads or something... I never had these issues with my AT&T DSL...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rocketr:

I measure by downloads of known sites. For example downloads from Cisco, Ubuntu updates, etc. I have a AT&T DS3 I'm testing the downloads vs. testing on the Brighthouse connection. Wonder if you guys are running a QoS policy on the downloads or something... I never had these issues with my AT&T DSL...

What sites? Examples please and forward the additional information I asked for...thank you
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rocketr
Neither of which would be valid because you have no way of knowing the capacity or utilization of these servers or their connected pipes.

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
Right but keep in mind I'm testing with a DS3 and getting much faster speeds. Since I have another circuit to test with is validates the other servers speed. I notice on the Brighthouse USC connection just now it will peak at two megs a sec then slow down to 100k then peak up. The cisco once is a constant 800k. When I do ubuntu downloads from the mirrors those are around 500k. Keep in mind. When on the DSL is was always 600k.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rocketr:

Right but keep in mind I'm testing with a DS3 and getting much faster speeds. Since I have another circuit to test with is validates the other servers speed. I notice on the Brighthouse USC connection just now it will peak at two megs a sec then slow down to 100k then peak up. The cisco once is a constant 800k. When I do ubuntu downloads from the mirrors those are around 500k. Keep in mind. When on the DSL is was always 600k.

No it doesn't as they will traverse different paths inbound and outbound AND while you may link to specific server doesn't mean you are actually connecting to that server.

I sent you a PM relating to your tech visit as well...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
I just know that the connection is not performing

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rocketr
I'm waiting for additional information from your region. Thanks..

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
Any Updates?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rocketr
PM sent

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
Just wondering if any updates?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rocketr
Rick check your PM.

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
Well issues still going on...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rocketr:

Well issues still going on...

Rocketr with all due respect I have responded and responded and responded. Days later I get a response from you which is too late. At this point open a direct forums post with your issue include all the requested information and a reasonable time when we can send someone out there that isn't 4 hours from now. I want to help you but your responses need to be timely and also complete. Thank you...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
I think I should just disconnect service to get something reliable. I can't keep a steady data stream due to my signal issue. I stated a tech can come today or Monday. that's not four hours from now.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rocketr:

I think I should just disconnect service to get something reliable. I can't keep a steady data stream due to my signal issue. I stated a tech can come today or Monday. that's not four hours from now.

And I replied back to you but never received a reply and still haven't received a reply from you other than your posting here.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
I'm going back to the DSL as soon as I can. My real world download tests are for sure throttled on Brighthouse.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rocketr:

I'm going back to the DSL as soon as I can. My real world download tests are for sure throttled on Brighthouse.

We don't throttle any connection or any protocol roketr. What are these real world tests you are referring to. Please open a thread in our direct forums and we'll take a closer look. Thanks
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to rocketr
What model Linksys router do you have connected to our modem Rocketr?

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
I have a Cisco Valet M10

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
You realize that router is about as low quality as it possibly gets right and it's wan to lan speeds likely come nowhere near where they should be for your lightning service...right? Your test results confirm what I already knew...please remove the router and run hard wired direct to the modem.

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
When I run direct I get the same speed. I'd use the Motorola surfboard as my router but Brighthouse refuses to give out the password. The Velet gets 50meg-60meg of TCP throughput on the wireless side. I would think wired performance to be better but should I not assume that?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rocketr:

When I run direct I get the same speed. I'd use the Motorola surfboard as my router but Brighthouse refuses to give out the password. The Velet gets 50meg-60meg of TCP throughput on the wireless side. I would think wired performance to be better but should I not assume that?

Wireless pc to pc on speeds on your local network have nothing to do with the wan to lan issues with that router. This is a known issue with many residential routers. I need you to run direct to the modem with the modem NOT bridged and use the test I sent you again. Let me know when you have started this so I can review the results.
--

rocketr

Pinckney, MI
reply to rocketr
Huh? I was talking LAN to WAN.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by rocketr:

Huh? I was talking LAN to WAN.

Um no... you said...

The Velet gets 50meg-60meg of TCP throughput on the wireless side

And they have no relationship with each other. Please disconnect the Valet and run the test as I requested. Let me know once you have started. Thanks
--