Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

Big 5 won't let it happen

News Corp,Viacom,Disney,Time Warner and Comcast(NBC UNiversal) will never let that happen. The own almost all the channels that most folks like to watch on tv and none of them is willing to rock the boat they are in right now. Disney and Comast just signed huge distribution deal for like 10 years. Viacom is still bitching about Youtube and TW wants to hold DVD off Netflix forever and off Redbox like for 2 months. NewS Corp is holding pattern until scandals end(don't hold your breath)

Google has lots of money but not enought to fight off all 5. Same goes for Apple.

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL

Even if someone did make it happen, the caps affecting many if not most subscribers, and/or limited transfer rate (particularly in rural areas), would likely doom the service from the start.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit

said by Ben:

Even if someone did make it happen, the caps affecting many if not most subscribers, and/or limited transfer rate (particularly in rural areas), would likely doom the service from the start.

These guys were. It would have to be like magicjak where you pay hw fee, then a reasonable yearly fee.

I'm still waiting to buy a Android TV or the Android usb stick. That way I can just d/l and watch my media on there. Better yet; I'd love if apps came out for each channel. It would be wayyyyyyy more convinient.

2012 might be the year of the pirated online tv.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X

hescominsoon

join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Ben

said by Ben:

in about 2 months when my "promo" package expires i'm going to drop residential cable/tv totally and go to business class internet only. I'm going to save 40/month and have unlimited transfer.
--
ignorance can be fixed
Carpe Ductum - "Grab the Tape"
www.emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com

OneEye

join:2006-04-15
Peachtree City, GA
reply to AndyDufresne

My opinion on AT&T'S Goal with CAPS -- KILL, DESTROY, and ELIMINATE all Independent Content Providers and Set Top Boxes (Netflix, Amazon, Boxee, Roku, etc.)

So much crap thrown in the public's faces with the FCC's Net Neutrality rules and an open pipe supplying independent content (NOT AT&T, COMCAST, or CHARTER content) to our homes.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to AndyDufresne

not true. They already do using this solution:

»www.matrixstream.com/IPTV_H.264_···ider.php

it's the fact that nobody wants to do it.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to AndyDufresne

Big 5 also hate the idea of customer controlled viewing. this is why they tried to lobby for the broadcast flag to stop DVRs and force people to view on their schedule.

Naturally they greatly fear the internet which is all about control from the user.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Notafool

@ptd.net
reply to AndyDufresne

Even the smaller players like scripps and hdnet won't be so foolish as to undercut themselves. TV is good business. Employs a lot of people. Stimulates the economy. Pays investors and shareholders handsomely. $5 OR $10 a month internet TV can't really pay the bills. Nothing personal, it's just business.

Internet is great for second run though. Its on demand nature and targeted ads help breathe new life into shows that were once primetime staples.