uniqs

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

[Cable Card] Tivo/Cable card questions

Thinking about upgrading my TIVO and going with a cable card setup. Am I able to take my box down to the office and swap it for a cable card? Also at some point(probably) I am going to be getting a HD TV, would I need to get another cable card to activate HD service or would it just be an account upgrade?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Yes you can take the box in and swap it for a cable card. With the the cable card you will get all of the channels that you are getting now. You only will need the 1 card (except for the s3).
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
Note that you will not get OnDemand on the Tivo, if you care about that (I don't).

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

halfband to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
If you are swapping out the only box on your account you should also receive a customer equipment credit of about $2.50mo since you will no longer be using the comcast box. There should not be a charge for the cable card or an "outlet fee" since this is for your "primary" or first tv set.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
I have TiVo and they are a good box. You made a good choice by using TiVo boxes. I have had mine for a year and a half and I have had very little trouble with them. On the other hand, with the Comcast DVRs, I was always having techs out to swap them. The fact I own all of my equipment and having the lifetime subscriptions on my TiVo boxes frees up cash that could be used for service upgrades instead of equipment fees.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

This will be my 2nd... first one is doing ok but antiquated. Thanks for the help guys. Not too worried about inDemand, I can find all kinds of stuff on Amazon Prime which is natively supported by Tivo.
Chad473
join:2007-12-18
Lancaster, PA

Chad473

make sure you hold on to the receipt for turning in your old box, just in case they "forget" to take it off your bill which is known to happen.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to NOCTech75

MVM

to NOCTech75
Does Comcast allow self-installs of CableCards yet? Most likely, they will still require an installer to do it, and charge your for it, too.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

By FCC mandate they must allow self install of cable cards.
NOCTech75

NOCTech75

Premium Member

Another quick question.. how many cable cards are needed?