uniqs
actualsize
join:2008-07-13

actualsize to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: why does anyone want broadband from a satellite provider

said by FFH5:

said by wiid:

Why would anyone buy broadband from a satellite company?

Because they live in the sticks; get TV from the satellite company; and can get no landline connections faster than POTS dial-up data.

My retired parents fit into this category. They can't get DSL on a land line. There is no cable. There is no TV reception. So it's satellite TV and WildBlue internet for them. WildBlue is both expensive and slow, I might add, but it is better than nothing.
wiid
join:2008-02-17
Outland

wiid

I assume there are better solutions than DirecTV. Even cell phone internet would likely have less latency.
fish1000
join:2011-12-14
Mcalester, OK

fish1000

Many who cannot get DSL often cannot get cell phone coverage either. I do not know why, but small town cell tower footprints are not very big, even when they are 3G. Satellite or dial up is the only choice.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

EDGE and evdo tend to have larger coverage than 3g umts overall. Even 200-300kps on edge is better than dial-up.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to wiid

Premium Member

to wiid
said by wiid:

I assume there are better solutions than DirecTV. Even cell phone internet would likely have less latency.

These same places that can't get DSL or cable internet are the same places that T-Mobile and Sprint (except for maybe Nextel... is that still around?) have no coverage. There are entire counties here in Florida where there is no T-Mobile coverage and AT&T is EDGE-only. I used to carry a Sprint PCS and a Nextel phone for that reason.
wiid
join:2008-02-17
Outland

wiid to actualsize

to actualsize