LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

The scoop

I'd like to clarify a few things for those with an open mind. First and foremost, I am not a union fan boy. I've been on both sides of the fence. Now, as business owner, I can appreciate why some people have a strong dislike for unions.

Many years ago, I was a cable T.V. "sub-contractor". Even though it's been decades, not much has changed, except for the names.
I want to clarify, these guys are not making money hand over fist. In fact, most are probably making around minimum wage. They are called "sub-contractors" and paid by piecework. They have to pay for their own taxes, tools, trucks, gas, insurance, benefits, etc...
This arrangement is 100% illegal, but is standard CATV industry practice. The IRS is cracking down on these "middlemen" companies. The CableCo, like Pontius Pilate, can claim their "hands are clean" in the whole situation.
Basically, these kids doing the work are "sub-contractors" only in name. They are told when to work, where to work, and how to work by the powers that be. In the eyes of the IRS, that makes them employees.
These middleman contractors screw these guys over left and right with bogus "charge-backs" and shorting their pay. It's been that way "ever since".
These operations have a "revolving door". I think the average turnover is around 125% for these places.
Instead of going to a union, these guys would be better off going to an IRS agent.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

And to add to your comments, when push comes to shove, if one of the "subcontractors" is in a position to say "Me and Gus and Charlie walked into the bosses office and said we wanted to discuss the change in pay and he said "If you don't like it, leave, it's not negotiable", then the company is dead meat. They've just refused to bargain and that is an unfair labor practice. Don't need a union, just three people.

You would have to be plumb crazy to up and terminate these folks.