usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

[tv] Skype on Vizio 55 inch

Is this a fair price ($199) to make Skype work on my VIZIO 55"?
»www.vizio.com/xcv100.html

Anyone tried it?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Is it a fair price? No. Is it your only option? Probably.

Most TV models will only work with manufacturer selected cameras, and they all tend to be around the $200 mark. In some cases they are using the exact same cameras you can buy for a PC, but with a 1 digit hardware ID change, they become 3 times the price to work with your TV.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Maybe soon TVs will be rootable like cell phones and tablets?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I wouldn't count on it. Too many models, none of which are in production for very long. Just not enough popularity of any particular device to be worth the time.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Good point!

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

Is it a fair price? No. Is it your only option? Probably.

Most TV models will only work with manufacturer selected cameras, and they all tend to be around the $200 mark. In some cases they are using the exact same cameras you can buy for a PC, but with a 1 digit hardware ID change, they become 3 times the price to work with your TV.

not just the HWID, custom made drivers as well.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to usa2k

to usa2k
That can't work because when the end person is talking she or he will hear there voice on your end at the same. Sort of like an echo they would hear on there end. You would have to where headphones for this to even work.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by floydb1982:

That can't work because when the end person is talking she or he will hear there voice on your end at the same. Sort of like an echo they would hear on there end. You would have to where headphones for this to even work.

skype uses the same algorithm used on speakerphones.
it does work.

printscreen
join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR

printscreen to floydb1982

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

That's why there is something called "echo cancellation". I have used Skype in my computer without headphones and among the ones I have used for video chat/conferencing it has the best echo cancellation.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: [tv] Skype on Vizio 55 inch

My Dell Mini 9 worked OK without headphones.

Most of the user chatter makes it sound far from being a good product. The 10' distance that is should use makes the image you are sending not zoomed in enough was one observation also.

GeoC
@nstorminternet.net

GeoC to usa2k

Anon

to usa2k

Re: [tv] Skype on Vizio 55 inch

Now $110 at Vizio w/free ship. And get a 10% off coupon at retailmenot.com. Will cost you a Benjamin. (It's engineered to avoid echo, b.t.w.)

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
If someone in your household/office has HDMI on the laptop I have used it this way.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k to GeoC

MVM

to GeoC
said by GeoC :

Now $110 at Vizio w/free ship. And get a 10% off coupon at retailmenot.com. Will cost you a Benjamin. (It's engineered to avoid echo, b.t.w.)

I keep still keep seeing $199
»www.vizio.com/xcv100.html

But skype chatter often referred to $120

EDIT: I see 14% off an accessory - that's almost $28
OK glasses on, reading careful ... still not finding $110
»www.retailmenot.com/view ··· izio.com