spc
uniqs

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to Tracer6

to Tracer6

Re: [TV] Downgrade to Analogue - NOT!

no one said it was mandated by the government. the crtc simply says once rogers hits 85 percent digital penetration they are no longer required to provide analog services, they are not being told they have to shut it down, they can continue keeping it, but since the crtc says they have a choice now, they are simply doing it to free up bandwitth. also digital does not mean hd so please do not get them confused.

actually analog is a downgrade. digital gives u better picture and quality and im not getting paid to say that ,ask anyone they can tell u
Pauly

Pauly

if 85% of the people are using digital and less than 15 using analog, why keep it? it costs them so much money to maintain it when the amount of people receiving the signals are lower and lower, its inefficient and makes no sense.

rogers shut down analog phone signals for that very reason, usage was so low, everyone migrated to digital, no one wants to go back to analog anymore. i dont see people demanding analog cellphones come back ,.do u? i dunno what country you think you live in, but this is canada, we need to move technology ahead not backwards

Tracer6
join:2006-10-12
Bowmanville, ON

Tracer6

Actually, I've watched the digital channels on my mother's Cogeco box - no difference as far as I can see. I'm not picky, nor do I have a large screen tv. My Panasonic is 720 capable, that's all.
My main objections to this forced conversion are: the loss of control of my television remote control features (like picture-in-picture), the inability to record another channel, the electrical power used by the digital box, the extra wiring to make my VCR work, and the increase in fees (for what?). Oh, I forgot to mention the slow channel changes. I am not confusing anyone concerning digital standard definition signal from the digital box. I stated that customer must pay more for HD from Rogers.

Other choices for HD (high definition digital):
1. Any dish company, like Shaw or Bell.
2. Free HD over the air (like the old VHF/UHF signals, but clearer) by using an antenna and either a newer tv/digital recorder with a built in ATSC tuner, or a $40 tuner box.
3. Bell Fibe, when it is available in your area (but may be a deal only with a package that includes phone, Internet and HDtv).

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

theres not much choice, every other provider is subject to these so called restrictions you speak of also. Can you watch one channel on satelight dish and record the second on your vcr? NOPE

You still need to use the other provider remote for satellite dish companies too,

channel changes on satellight dish is painfully slow, atleast its tolerable on digital cable

Tracer6
join:2006-10-12
Bowmanville, ON

Tracer6

At least the alternatives are cheaper, or free (after all the antenna costs covered).
I wonder how many other people have been told by Rogers reps, that the government is making them do this switch to a digital box.
It is surely a downgrade from analogue. IF only people knew!