spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DreamDemon
join:2012-02-09
Mount Pleasant, SC

DreamDemon

Fastest way to heal any mouth sore...

I've been reading the posts about the mouth ulcers healing remedies and I think they probably apply to my situation. Just in case they dont though... My daughter had a cavity filled at school on Monday. That side of her mouth being numb she was unwittingly chewing on the inside of her cheek. Now she has a pretty large, and of course raw, sore on the inside of her cheek. The pain medicine has worn off of course and she's been doing saltwater mouth rinses since Monday. Here it is Thursday and the sore is not completely gone and she's still experiencing pain and there's still visible swelling. The school nurse just tells her to keep doing what she's doing. I have her staying from acidic like drinks (i.e. no colas, juices etc) and sticking to milk and water. She brushes 3 times a day, is gargling (saltwater) 3 times a day.. dont know what else to do. Are there any other suggestions??

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig

Premium Member

You are doing all there is to do!
It'll just take more time then usual to heal!

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to DreamDemon

Premium Member

to DreamDemon
DreamDemon

Your school nurse knows what she's talking about.

NOW- keep an eye on the problem and act if necessary.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to DreamDemon

Premium Member

to DreamDemon
You can also use Hydrogen Peroxide. It works well, and is non toxic.

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium Member
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

Locutus65

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

You can also use Hydrogen Peroxide. It works well, and is non toxic.

Actually a 50/50 peroxide/water mixture is best. Tastes funny but does work.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to DreamDemon

Premium Member

to DreamDemon
There's Glyoxide that has been recommended by dentists - glycerin and peroxide and Colgate just came out with a similar wash. They both foam.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to DreamDemon

MVM

to DreamDemon
This is going to sound painful and it can be but lightly brush the sore - with or without paste. After about 2 days my sores usually disappear. Usually gets a lot better over night after doing that.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to DreamDemon

Premium Member

to DreamDemon
Pineapple, believe it or not, is helpful to heal mouth/gum issues due to its properties, including high amounts of vitamin C. Opt for freshly cut pineapple instead of pineapple juice if you can.

Pizza lovers who are also hungry? Ever burn the roof of your mouth because you can't wait to eat? Eat some pineapple the next day and your mouth will start to feel better, quicker.

Brntcrickt
@rr.com

Brntcrickt to DreamDemon

Anon

to DreamDemon
I found saltwater is best for mouth sores.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DreamDemon

Premium Member

to DreamDemon
What in the world did the dentist give her that made her mouth/cheek numb for more than 20-30 minutes at the most after she left the dentist's office? It should be very fast acting anesthesia, delivered via computer control, and should wear off very quickly (but obviously not until the procedure is over). Sounds like she went to a dentist who thinks this is 1970.

SurfTheSky
Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

SurfTheSky

MVM

He didn't say how long it was numb for. Kids are generally not very self-aware of their bodies to begin with, so to have something numb for a short time it doesn't surprise me a BIT that his kid bit up the inside of her cheek.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to DreamDemon

Premium Member

to DreamDemon
The water has to be "fully saturated", that is, you must add enough salt so that you cannot add any more and have it all dissolve. You should see grains of salt in the bottom of the glass.

Use as warm of water as possible. Add the salt and stir.

Clearly, this is very salty, but it is the most effective. You can add a dash of peroxide if you wish.

One should try to avoid swallowing this as much as possible. Rinse only. Non-toxic, but did I mention very salty?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
Some folks are more sensitive to the numbing agent as well - a set amount will work pretty well for most folks but not for others.
Expand your moderator at work

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to DreamDemon

Premium Member

to DreamDemon

Re: Fastest way to heal any mouth sore...

So DreamDemon how is the mouth doing?
DreamDemon
join:2012-02-09
Mount Pleasant, SC

DreamDemon

lol I"m so sorry for not replying sooner. Actually she's doing great. Thank you all!!

I don't know what the dentist game her but she's pretty small so it's possible for it to have a longer effect on her isn't there?! I don't actually know how long it was numb for either. She was already feeling it when she came home from school so for all I know it did where off 20-30 minutes after the procedure. I don't know what time of day they did the filling nor do I know what time of day she ate. So I can't really say how it worked out like that.

I'm pretty sure that the saltwater ultimately did the trick.

BTW in case anyone is interested salt helps prevent strept throat as well. Every time my throat starts to get sore I start gargling with salt water and it always works. Saltwater is awesome!!!

Thanks again!

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by DreamDemon:

I'm pretty sure that the saltwater ultimately did the trick.

BTW in case anyone is interested salt helps prevent strept throat as well. Every time my throat starts to get sore I start gargling with salt water and it always works. Saltwater is awesome!!!

Thanks again!

Yes basic elements do make a difference... even salts... while many oft for antibiotics for everything and anything have no effect and weaken their effectiveness.

And sadly the doctors KNOW this but still willy nilly proscribe them for anything. Antibiotics work for infections... worthless for viral stuff.... andin the end just makes the immune system lazy.
Expand your moderator at work

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to DreamDemon

to DreamDemon

Re: Fastest way to heal any mouth sore...

said by DreamDemon:

I've been reading the posts about the mouth ulcers healing remedies and I think they probably apply to my situation. Just in case they dont though... My daughter had a cavity filled at school on Monday. That side of her mouth being numb she was unwittingly chewing on the inside of her cheek. Now she has a pretty large, and of course raw, sore on the inside of her cheek. The pain medicine has worn off of course and she's been doing saltwater mouth rinses since Monday. Here it is Thursday and the sore is not completely gone and she's still experiencing pain and there's still visible swelling. The school nurse just tells her to keep doing what she's doing. I have her staying from acidic like drinks (i.e. no colas, juices etc) and sticking to milk and water. She brushes 3 times a day, is gargling (saltwater) 3 times a day.. dont know what else to do. Are there any other suggestions??

Saltwater is the best suggestion. Peroxide/water is second best, but it taste is something I can't stand.

I understand completely chewing the inside of the mouth while the novacaine is wearing off. I've done it a few times myself. I also suffer from canker sores and I know how painful mouth sores can be. She has my sympathy.

If it's canker sore like, she may want to try Kanka by Blistex. I've used this for years and it works great. It'll protect the area and help heal it.

Rinse the area with saltwater, dry it, apply the medicine and wait about 15 seconds for it to dry and form a film.