Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US

New Fios channel coming soon...

Disney JR, The channel is coming March 12th per what I just saw on the verizon web site:

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Pr···p/402751

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Just what we need. Can we get more sports channels!!

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to Acct101
It's SoapNet rebranded as Disney Jr. Since we already have SoapNet we are not getting a new channel, a channel is just changing its name & programming.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
Yea and they could have used that space for BBC -HD which is the most voted for HD channel.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by PoloDude:

Yea and they could have used that space for BBC -HD which is the most voted for HD channel.

What space? It's an SD channel

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
so wait. Soapnet was an SD channel being changed to new programming and getting moved to an HD slot. Forgot soapnet was and SD channel only.

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2

1 edit
said by PoloDude:

so wait. Soapnet was an SD channel being changed to new programming and getting moved to an HD slot. Forgot soapnet was and SD channel only.

Is it even going to be an HD channel?
EDIT: NVM I checked the source link.
Verizon really ought to move all of the HD premium channels to MPEG4 feeds to free up space. Swapping boxes for the few Starz and HBO subscribers while retaining the old boxes for the rest of their customers can't be more expensive/time consuming then trying to get a full IPTV system off the ground. How will they even be able to do HD IPTV without MPEG 4?

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
reply to PoloDude
Who said it's getting moved to an HD channel slot? As far as I know it's an SD channel only.

kenwvt

join:2011-05-18
Chelmsford, MA

Don't we have enough sports channels already ? Here's hoping for BBC HD.

-Ken

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101
It's amazing how clueless Disney is.

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
said by Greg2600:

It's amazing how clueless Disney is.

The channel itself makes sense as a competitor to Nick Jr, but it would be a waste of an HD slot (if it is an HD channel on Verizon)

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
Ok, I stand corrected, it will be SD & HD and is part of the carriage agreement with ABC

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to tennisman94
said by tennisman94:

The channel itself makes sense as a competitor to Nick Jr, but it would be a waste of an HD slot (if it is an HD channel on Verizon)

Every woman I know watches SoapNet. And how is it different than Disney XD?

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
Disney XD is for 6-14 year olds, Disney Junior is more for pre-schoolers

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
I'm not so sure if BBC HD edges out Cartoon Network HD...

MELLIS3

join:2007-07-03
Littleton, MA
I would take either or both over another sports channel

bgtimber75

join:2006-06-23
Columbia, MD
reply to matcarl
said by matcarl:

So they have Disney which is seemingly for 6-14 year old girls, XD which is for boys of the same age, and now Jr for preschoolers?

Do they really need that much differentiation?

I'm going to miss Soapnet.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by bgtimber75:

said by matcarl:

So they have Disney which is seemingly for 6-14 year old girls, XD which is for boys of the same age, and now Jr for preschoolers?

Do they really need that much differentiation?

I'm going to miss Soapnet.

Frankly, yes.

I've got a 4 year old, and the preschool-oriented shows end at 8am.

He's going to LOVE having Disney Junior. I'm happy for him. Much better than SoapNet, in my opinion (and my wife's, for that matter.)

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to Greg2600
OTOH, I don't know any women who watch SoapNet.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Acct101
In my opinion, FiOS needs a good balance between sports and entertainment. BBCAmerica HD does have some really good programs produced in HD and we need to be able is view in HD, like Dr. Who, Top Gear etc. Comcast and other systems seen to be carrying BBCA in HD, so come on FiOS get on board.
--
johnf2

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to dennismurphy
Whatever happened to PBS? I grew up on Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street, and the rest of the time played with toys. I didn't need to watch a TV all day.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Greg2600:

Whatever happened to PBS? I grew up on Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street, and the rest of the time played with toys. I didn't need to watch a TV all day.

We watch Sesame Street (I think it has as much value as it did years ago...) but there are a few Disney shows he likes, and I don't have a problem with that.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

Just what we need. Can we get more sports channels!!

Don't you sports gluttons have enough channels already? Can you get a life!!

Verizon carries just about every sports channel in HD already. They have more sports than any provider I have seen. If you can't find a game you want to watch on the current selection, it's time to get a new hobby. Or go outside.

I have no problem with Disney Jr. HD being added. I do have a problem with it going ahead of long overdue HD channels like Cartoon Network, BBC America, H2, etc.

We can all thank the sportsheads for this though. As long as Disney has an iron grip on ESPN they can negotiate whatever terms they want. There's a reason why Disney Jr. HD is being added the first day on every bandwidth-starved provider. Even the HD loser DirecTV is adding this channel ahead of everything else. They haven't added a new basic HD in years.

Philly Fios

@verizon.net
I am waiting for The Comcast Network HD, This Flyers and Sixers games are killing me in just SD

magilladke

join:2005-12-07
Collegeville, PA
Is The Comcast Network HD the same as Comcast Sports Net? We have it in HD here.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to Philly Fios
there is no confirmation that anyone will be carrying it on launch in HD other than Bright House Networks in Orlando Florida. I have TWC and all of their legals mention only the SD version so I would assume that verizon is only going to carry the SD version at start.

ENFiOS

join:2007-11-09
MontCo PA

1 edit
reply to magilladke
Is The Comcast Network HD the same as Comcast Sports Net? We have it in HD here.

No, The Comcast Network (TCN) is the old CN8 which we carry in SD only on CH. 99. We have both the SD (ch.76) and HD(ch.576) versions of Comcast SportsNet (CSN).

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101
I haven't seen anything explicit saying they will add this in HD to FIOS.

PS: I told my mother and sister SoapNet was a gonner, and they were pissed. LOL!

matcarl
Premium
Franklin Square, NY
This was on Wikipedia. I know some people don't like what they read there, but it does mention Fios as signing on to carry the HD:

Disney Junior HD will be a high definition simulcast feed, broadcasting a moderate amount of Disney Junior's programming in 720p HD. It will begin broadcasting on March 23, 2012. Many cable providers will carry the HD simulcast feed, along with DirecTV, AT&T U-verse and Verizon FIOS. Currently, Dish Network does not carry the Disney/ABC Cable Networks' HD simulcast channels due to a retransmission consent dispute with the Walt Disney Company, so it will probably not carry the channel.
HD versions of Disney Junior had already launched in Canada, Asia, France and The Netherlands. Currently, Disney Junior HD appears to be a block on the HD feed version on Disney Channel.

CrobertGauth

join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to Greg2600
Almost all of the soaps are gone anyway. My wife used to watch it to see rebroadcats of AMC. But that got cancelled.