share rss forum feed

RyanG1
Premium
join:2002-02-10
San Antonio, TX
kudos:1

[H/W] 3550-12T Fan modification

Any thoughts on this:

Considering wiring in 2 pots to adjust the voltage on the blower fans. While it gets warm with the fans unplugged but never overheats id rather not chance it. The fans are loud as all hell and do move alot of air flow but im thinking of adjusting them down to 5-6V with a potentiometer or maybe a fixed voltage regulator.

Anyone done anything similar to this?

Ryan
--
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

battleop

join:2005-09-28
I took the fan completely out 3550-24 POE that runs all the devices in my den. That was about 18 months ago and it is still running. Doing what you are asking is probably better than no air movement at all.

RyanG1
Premium
San Antonio, TX
reply to RyanG1
just out of curiosity, does yours throw temperature faulty messages or does it stay in OK status?

after running for about 2 hours it finally threw a temp warning for the chassis.

Ryan
--
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

rcfury

join:2009-12-20
I have modified my 3548's internal fan to slow down by soldiering in some resistors in series to the fan (the red wire). The resistors lower the voltage from 12volts to 7 volts which reduces the fan's speed and allowing you to think when i walk in the room.

I cannot do that with my PIX as that thing just pumps out heat.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to RyanG1
It's been about 6 months since I've been in that switch but I think I remember correctly it complains about a fan failure and a temp warning.

RyanG1
Premium
San Antonio, TX
reply to RyanG1
well i bought a 5V regulator from radioshack and found a bunch of fan connectors. Hacked and soldered together a connector and tested it out; The result? Success.

The blowers will run at 5V and still push a decent amount of air so i plan to make it official. Gonna rig up a permanent solution and put some heat shrink tubing and possibly a heatsink on each regulator to cool em but i think the air flow with both fans going at 5v will be more than enough to run air over the PSU and draw out heat.

Ill post pics once im done tomorrow night since i like doing crap like this and who knows, maybe someone else will find it useful in the future.

Ryan
--

RyanG1
Premium
San Antonio, TX
reply to RyanG1
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
heres the pics. i made a custom connector with a fan extension cable and rigged in a 5V regulator. Screwed it to one of the posts on each blower fan to prevent it from falling onto the board and to keep air going over it (generates some heat and is rather warm to the touch) and so far so good... it even shows the fans as OK status since they are spinning at the same speed

Switch#sh env all
FAN is OK
TEMPERATURE is OK
POWER is OK
RPS is NOT PRESENT
--