Search similar:

uniqs

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

3 edits

Karl Bode

News Guy

For the News Guy: Anyone else not have DOCSIS 3.0?

Reference: »Is the DOCSIS 3 rollout complete in your area? Post here..

So Santa Cruz, California -- Ocala, Florida...anybody else not have DOCSIS 3.0? Comcast again this morning in their earnings call insisted that they've reached "100%" coverage. Is albuquerque up and running?

Mod Note: See BBR article here ---> »Comcast's 'Completed' DOCSIS Upgrades Left a Few Gaps [31] comments

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Chris 313

Premium Member

Not in Louisiana yet, despite the page saying so. 8/2 and 16/2 here.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

geek to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
Looks like Danbury, CT head end has not been upgraded yet as far as provisioning DOCSIS 3 speeds. Still 8/2 for performance tier. SteveTeow See Profile says the head end has not been upgraded yet although I'm bonding 5 DS and 1 US channel.
funbob
join:2004-08-30
Albuquerque, NM

funbob to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Still nothing in Albuquerque. Which I find absolutely astounding for a metro area of nearly a million people and they call their rollout "complete"
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to geek

Premium Member

to geek
that is surprising considering Danbury is certainly not a small service area in the slightest. the city itself having 80K+ population and its not exactly in a deadzone either being a bedroom community to NYC.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Karl Bode

MVM

to Karl Bode
We have a "9" page thread on this already:

»what areas do not yet have D3?
SteveEFX2012
join:2012-02-14
Santa Fe, NM

SteveEFX2012 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Albuquerque should now be D3 i am in santa fe got updated 2 days ago finally

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

When you say "updated," are you talking about the physical network upgrade or is your area now able to order a DOCSIS 3.0 tier and actually have it it installed?

Are you on a DOCSIS 3.0 tier? Does your statement reflect that?

I am only asking because it can sometimes take quite awhile after the physical network upgrade before one can actually be upgraded.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
There were several reports from ABQ the other day, multiple channels showing in some areas but they don't seem to be bonding...yet.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
There is a small portion of Michigan (up in the thumb) thats pretty remote, that is not D3. They are on an old 500Mhz system.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
We have DOCSIS 3.0 here in Springfield, MA but I was at the Apple Store Genius Bar at the Holyoke Mall and the guy who helped me said that he lived in Montague (which is in Franklin County near Greenfield) and he said that Comcast only offers speeds up to 20 mbps in that area so that is a good indicator that Franklin County Mass does not have DOCSIS 3.0

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to geek

to geek
bonding = docsis 3

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by gar187er:

bonding = docsis 3

Yes, here is a good description I found of what DOCSIS 3 provides:

DOCSIS 3.0 provides a number of enhancements to 2.0, most notably channel bonding, which achieves higher speeds by combining bandwidth from multiple channels into a single connection. Channel bonding provides cable operators with a flexible way to significantly increase speeds to customers, with compliant devices supporting up to at least 160 Mbps in the downstream and 120 Mbps in the upstream. Other enhancements are support for IPv6 and IPTV.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

(topic move) How does Comcast decide where to roll out DOCSIS 3?

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »How does Comcast decide where to roll out DOCSIS 3?

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

1 edit

geek to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er

Re: For the News Guy: Anyone else not have DOCSIS 3.0?

said by gar187er:

bonding = docsis 3

So...why aren't the new speeds available yet? i.e. Performance tier in "upgraded" areas is supposed to be 15/2 15/3 or 12/2. Here it's 8/2 as I was told the head end is not yet upgraded.

Posted in Direct on 7/28/2011-

Me - "Performance tier still appears to be provisioned for 8800/2200 even in a recently upgraded DOCSIS3 area. I thought 6/1 was supposed to go to 12/2 after the D3 upgrade was complete. Am I wrong or is this an issue?

And yes, I have recently rebooted by poking the reset button on the Arris 722G. Last reboot was 7/19/2011

Upgrade to D3 took place around mid-May 2011."

Reply from SteveTeow See Profile
"Based on the CMTS you are on, it has not been upgrade to D3 yet. The area may have been upgraded but the CMTS is not yet. I still do not have any tentative dates as when D3 will be available to you."

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

maybe they are waiting on channel cuts to increase the amount of docsis channels......they might need to upgrade the lasers in the headend to accommodate the extra throughput.....perhaps they need to lessen the amount of nodes combined up ate the cmts.....there are quite a few reasons as to why speeds havent been bumped up, but modem speeds have nothing to do with docsis 3.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to geek

Premium Member

to geek
said by geek:

And yes, I have recently rebooted by poking the reset button on the Arris 722G. Last reboot was 7/19/2011

That's a while ago. FWIW, are you holding the reset button in long enough to see the indicator lights begin to cycle ?

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT

2 edits

geek

Premium Member

That's what was in my thread back on 7/28/2011 So, yeah..long time ago indeed.

I recently got a 5341J. Last reset was yesterday 2/15/2012!

gr33dy
join:2002-05-31
Albuquerque, NM

gr33dy to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

There were several reports from ABQ the other day, multiple channels showing in some areas but they don't seem to be bonding...yet.

Source of such reports?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er

multiple downstream/upstream channels have been around for many years....nothing new.....

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to gr33dy

Premium Member

to gr33dy
said by gr33dy:

said by tshirt:

Source of such reports?

I'm in Belen which is about 35 miles south of Albuquerque but still part of the Abq metro market area. My Arris eMTA has been showing 4 downstream channels for the past two weeks or so and if you plug in my address on the Xfinity Internet product page the highest available tier is Blast @ 30/6.

cpayne5
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06

cpayne5 to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
No D3 here. I am about an hour west of DC. My service comes out of Front Royal, VA.
Drizew
join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM

Drizew to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
I live in Albuquerque and I can confirm that there are bonded channels (4), but when I call to see if D3 tiers are available they always tell me no.

There is still no upstream bonding as of 2/5/2012.

Comcast has really dropped the ball here. I got tired of waiting for a decent offering from them and switched to Centurylink 40/20... loving it.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to ironweasel

Premium Member

to ironweasel
There is a tuning/balancing that goes on to make the bonding more stable.
Just because it's not on sales page /offically launched, doesn't mean the process isn't going on.
tshirt

tshirt to gr33dy

Premium Member

to gr33dy
said by gr33dy:

Source of such reports?

Threads right here on DSLR (Is there anywhere else? )
The threads were not specific to ABQ, but some one would say "we don't have it" and some one else mentioned that they did now.

when people say they live in ABQ, sometimes the mean "somewhere in the valley" even though they are miles out.
I wouldn't expect to see everwhere lit up at once.
tshirt

tshirt to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
they showed as bonded on the modem, but the posters results were worse than unbonded
obiviously still being tweaked.
Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

Action2 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Not only does my area not have DOCSIS 3.0, but my area does not have comcast "xfinity" period.

The only thing available in Newman, IL is basic digital cable from Comcast.

RedTechie
@comcast.net

RedTechie to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode
Still no D3 in Essex, CT... Been waiting years for it!

Our headend (Clinton, CT) is pretty large servicing many towns around this area. I really hope they upgrade soon!
Drizew
join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM

Drizew to tshirt

to tshirt
Well, when I say I live in ABQ, I mean that I am IN ABQ... I was in Los Lunas (about 15 mi south of ABQ), but now I am about 10 minutes from downtown.

We have bonded channels (downstream), but we still can't order any "DOCSIS 3" tiers.

We'll see what happens in the coming months.

SteveEFX2013
@comcast.net

SteveEFX2013 to Sunny

Anon

to Sunny
Yes my area is physically upgraded ... still can't upgrade to 50 meg YET been checking on it every day ... but getting great speed tests now

»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 7252.png