uniqs

Khaine
join:2003-03-03
Australia

Khaine to J E F F4

to J E F F4

Re: [OS X] Mountain Lion coming this summer

said by J E F F4:

What determine whether or not Apple will accept an "identified developer"? If a piece of software, like one based on WINE, would Apple be eager? Likely not.

From the macworld article

So what’s an “identified developer?” Basically, it’s any developer who registers as a developer with Apple and receives a personalized certificate. The developer can then use that certificate to cryptographically sign their apps. Any such app has two important characteristics: Apple can tell who developed it, and Mountain Lion can detect whether it’s been tampered with since it left the hands of the developer.

The first part is important because, Apple says, if a particular developer is discovered to be distributing malware, Apple has the ability to revoke that developer’s license and add it to a blacklist. Mountain Lion checks once a day to see if there’s been an update to the blacklist. If a developer is on the blacklist, Mountain Lion won’t allow apps signed by that developer to run.

When you try to launch an app using this system, your Mac will check with Apple’s servers to see if the developer’s signature is current. But what it doesn’t seem to mean is that previously-installed malware will be wiped clean, because once an app passes File Quarantine and launches successfully for the first time, it’s basically escaped Apple’s screening system.

»www.macworld.com/article ··· per.html

This information is really easy to find, I'm not sure why people are whipping themselves into a frenzy over nothing

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Khaine:

This information is really easy to find, I'm not sure why people are whipping themselves into a frenzy over nothing

Perhaps because it appears that Apple is headed for lock-down, maybe not in 10.9, but maybe 11.0. For example, would apps like Handbrake still be available? What about Transmission? I have a friend that created an app (WINE) for installing *some* windows programs, it was refused by the app store because it uses Windows files...

Of course, nothing might change, just permissions. Which, if that is the case, is great.

Khaine
join:2003-03-03
Australia

Khaine

said by J E F F4:

said by Khaine:

Perhaps because it appears that Apple is headed for lock-down, maybe not in 10.9, but maybe 11.0. For example, would apps like Handbrake still be available? What about Transmission? I have a friend that created an app (WINE) for installing *some* windows programs, it was refused by the app store because it uses Windows files...

Of course, nothing might change, just permissions. Which, if that is the case, is great.

Considering Apple have had private meetings with Developers over this »www.panic.com/blog/2012/ ··· ekeeper/
quote:
But I can’t find it in me to disparage this goodwill effort that Apple has undertaken to not turn every third-party developer upside-down with regard to app distribution. To me it’s a great sign that they’re aware and at some level sympathetic to our concerns, while remaining committed to a high-security experience for users.

Further cementing this feeling is the fact that we were invited to a private briefing at Apple about Gatekeeper a week before today’s announcement. Cabel was told point-blank that Apple has great respect for the third-party app community, and wants to see it continue to grow — they do not want to poison the well. I think their actions here speak even louder than their words, though.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Khaine:

said by J E F F4:

said by Khaine:

Considering Apple have had private meetings with Developers over this »www.panic.com/blog/2012/ ··· ekeeper/
quote:
But I can’t find it in me to disparage this goodwill effort that Apple has undertaken to not turn every third-party developer upside-down with regard to app distribution. To me it’s a great sign that they’re aware and at some level sympathetic to our concerns, while remaining committed to a high-security experience for users.

Further cementing this feeling is the fact that we were invited to a private briefing at Apple about Gatekeeper a week before today’s announcement. Cabel was told point-blank that Apple has great respect for the third-party app community, and wants to see it continue to grow — they do not want to poison the well. I think their actions here speak even louder than their words, though.

If that is the case, then I likely will purchase more Macs.

As I said, no issues about having a locked down phone...not too happy about a locked down iPad so my 11 year old has it now. But the Mac better never be in lock down.

Eventually I'll have to get another computer...just unsure if it will be the iMac or MBPro.