·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

TamaraB

Premium Member

[iPhone] Total disaster!

So, my new iPhone 4s went overboard tonight. It sunk in over 80 feet of ocean. It's gone! I had apple care on it, but that does not cover this type of loss. I will need to buy another one, at full price I suspect. I wonder if I could transfer the apple care I recently purchased to a new one?

In the meantime, I am synching my old iPhone 3g (so glad now I didn't sell it) so at least I will have a phone. It's taking it's sweet time to complete. Once sync is complete, will I have to somehow reactivate it so it will work? Will it know it's phone number from the synch?

What a revolting development!

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

You'll need the SIM from the phone at the bottom of the ocean, or go to AT&T and get a new SIM.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
Wow, bummer, sorry that happened! When I go fishing I leave my phone behind because of my fear of losing it that way...

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx

TamaraB to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
Really? This 3g has a sim. I'm pretty sure the new 4s came with it's own sim, which AT&T programmed. No?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TamaraB:

Really? This 3g has a sim. I'm pretty sure the new 4s came with it's own sim, which AT&T programmed. No?

I'm pretty sure a SIM card is useless after its been deactivated. You cannot reactivate it, you must get a new one.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to TamaraB

to TamaraB
Did Siri scream on her way down? "Help me! Help meeeee!!!"

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

Did Siri scream on her way down? "Help me! Help meeeee!!!"

No, but I screamed, because my wallet went down with the phone. ATM card, cash, ID everything!

I need to send a text to my friend over the internet to her phone. How can I do that with my Mac?

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to TamaraB

to TamaraB
SIM cards from the 3 series don't match 4g series phones. I know this because wife and myself are still on 3g and when I upgraded my daughter to 4g it required a new SIM card. Sorry about the phone.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by Teasip:

SIM cards from the 3 series don't match 4g series phones. I know this because wife and myself are still on 3g and when I upgraded my daughter to 4g it required a new SIM card. Sorry about the phone.

Yeah, well the wallet loss is a bigger problem. My 3g is now synched. It said "registering to the network, this may take some time". It still shows "no service" however.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You must call AT&T to reactivate it. They'll let you know if you also need a new SIM.

As for AppleCare Plus, it does cover two cases of accidental damage for only $49 each, but I'm assuming that requires to actually have the phone for them to take and refurbish. Not sure how they'll handle this. Ask for pitty.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
if you are going to have to pay full price, buy a factory unlocked phone direct from Apple. It'll carry a higher resale when you sell it after buying your iPhone 5s, and costs about the same as an out-of-contract phone anyway.

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium Member
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA

BuckarooB to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
curious.... I guess find my phone doesn't work? :P

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
said by TamaraB:

I need to send a text to my friend over the internet to her phone. How can I do that with my Mac?

»www.pinger.com/textfree/

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

As for AppleCare Plus, it does cover two cases of accidental damage for only $49 each, but I'm assuming that requires to actually have the phone for them to take and refurbish. Not sure how they'll handle this. Ask for pitty.

As soon as my friend arrives this morning, I will call ATT on her phone, and reactivate the old 3g, which is still saying 'no service'. As far as pity is concerned, I will have to buy a new 4s at $695 from the apple store, they have my CC on file, and I can have it 'shipped' to an apple store) and then ask if it can replace the lost one as far as apple care is concerned.

Then I will be able to get my atm card replaced, and update all the auto-pays! What a bloody mess! First, communications, so I can deal with the rest of the flotsam!

Bob

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
If your friend has AT&T you can send text from your email:
aaabbbcccc@txt.att.net

Where aaabbbcccc is the phone number with area code.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB to Daemon

Premium Member

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

if you are going to have to pay full price, buy a factory unlocked phone direct from Apple.

Oh wonderful thought! Thanks. May as well get some benefit out of this sinking. "Factory unlocked" is an option on the apple site? I will have a look directly.

Bob

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
said by BuckarooB:

PTD

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB to BuckarooB

Premium Member

to BuckarooB
said by BuckarooB:

Ha! Well I just looked, and it says "offline", no shit Not even it's last position!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

aaabbbcccc@txt.att.net

GMAIL, GTALK and Google voice can send messages via sms also.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB to rjackal

Premium Member

to rjackal
said by rjackal:

»www.pinger.com/textfree/

Actually, I discovered that iChat was able to send sms to a phone # It workd well.
TamaraB

TamaraB to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

said by exocet_cm:

aaabbbcccc@txt.att.net

GMAIL, GTALK and Google voice can send messages via sms also.

I also used my google talk account to ring her phone, and talk to her. She can't call me as my sip number is forwarded to my drowned phone. I could un-forward the number via AT&T's website, but it is unclear if I can receive calls on my Mac. After all the years I have had that number, I never used it till last night.

When she gets here, I should be able to reactivate my 3g. It's batteries won't hold more than a 4 hour charge however, but it will get the salvage operation started.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
That's cool! Didn't know about that iChat feature.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
Sorry for your loss, last summer I took the wife and daughter canoeing, and ended up capsizing. However I had put both of our phones and stuff inside a zip-lock bag. When we capsized, the bag floated with everything in it.

Gamestop is now selling apple refurbished iPhones with the same warranty, »www.gamestop.com/collect ··· d-iPhone
You can save a little cash this way.
But I prefer to go directly to Apple for a replacement.

Good Luck!

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

You must call AT&T to reactivate it. They'll let you know if you also need a new SIM.

Yes, this is exactly what I had to do. I went to an AT&T store, they replaced the sim, put me on with tech support, who asked for the last 4 digits of my SS# (I have no ID yet), my phone number, the sim ID, and the imei number. Then they did their magic, and the phone became active within 5 minutes. They didn't charge me for the sim or for anything else.

I only lost all my voice mails, and had to re-setup the voicemail pass and greeting. Well, now I have a phone again, and can start the tedious salvage operation.

With all this high-tech, there really should be a way to save voicemails on your Mac. Something I would like to see apart from disaster recovery. Some doozies are worth saving! Everything else synched up. All apps except a few IOS5 only apps, contacts, music, and pictures. The actual data loss was minimal.

Bob

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I don't understand why you lost your voicemails. That has never happened to me through multiple phone and/or sim changes. Was your phone currently backed up in iTunes?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Wow, bummer, sorry that happened! When I go fishing I leave my phone behind because of my fear of losing it that way...

Some people put these things in plastic bags to keep them from being damaged that way, also could fill the bag with a bit of air so it will float should it fall in the water somehow.

TamaraB
Premium Member
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac

TamaraB to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
Yes, my 4s was fully backed up and synched. When I restored to the old 3g everything device-based went to the 3g, with the exception of a couple of IOS-5 only apps. I'm pretty sure voicemails are kept on an AT&T server?, so they shouldn't have been lost. When I went to voicemail on the newly restored 3g, voicemail didn't know about me, asked me to "set up voicemail" as if it was a new account.

The only other thing which did not work on the 3g, was my SMS connection to my bank. I can query for current balances and transactions, now all I get is silence from my bank. I will have to re-activate that function. Strange thing is, when I upgraded from the 3g to the 4s, that worked seamlessly.

The only thing I can think of is that I am grandfathered at unlimited data. The AT&T gal who I was on the phone with was having trouble restoring the grandfathering, and had to speak with the local AT&T store employee, who pecked away at her computer before they could restore service to the 3g. They had to do something to the account itself; also I don't know why they had to replace the sim, perhaps that's what caused the issue.

Not a real big deal, I am just happy to have a phone again.

Bob
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
I don't know AT&T .com but to send a text from computer to a Verizon sub, use their 10 digit phone# @vtext.com
I use all time

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to CptGemini

Premium Member

to CptGemini
Yes I have a system whereby I put my camera, wallet & car keys into a waterproof bag that also retains some air for floating and I have a second smaller bag that I put my iPhone into and then put that into the first bag so my iPhone is double-protected.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
SquareTrade warranty is a much better deal on smartphones. A one-time payment gets you complete coverage that includes "user error" situations like yours. A $50 deductible would get you a new iPhone.