spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jws21
join:2003-05-19
Erie, PA

Jws21

Coax Recommendations

I'm in need of some RG6 coax for various jobs. afaik I have always used copper clad steel with out issues. Any reasons of maybe trying coax with a solid copper conductor. Solid copper is more prone to breakage but is supposedly better for longer runs.

As far as brands, I have used Commscope in the past as well as cables at the big box stores (home depot). Perhaps Belden, Perfect vision, Pro gear ?

Few I have my eyes on : »www.techtoolsupply.com/P ··· PGW5000B

»www.sadoun.com/Sat/Produ ··· G6SC.htm

»www.tselectronic.com/sho ··· Coax/215

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

I'd stick with TFC, Commscope, or Belden.

Copper clad is fine in most applications. RF signals propagate through the copper cladding without a problem due to the "skin effect". Only real need for solid copper is when running power over the cable such as in satellite or remote amp powering installs.

66%braid/100%foil dual shield would be minimum, tri-shield would be better (plus you can still use standard connectors), and quad shield is usually overkill in most applications

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Jws21

to Jws21
That Belden you listed is good stuff, but $160 seems a bit pricey. Have you looked at the Belden 1829BC? It's also 60% braid, 3GHz swept, bare copper, SNS6-compatible; albeit twin-shield. Additional selling points that I like include (a) it's flooded, and (b) it's cheaper. Last I looked, 1000' spools were selling as low as $110. There's also a 1829AC, same cable without flooding.

//greg//
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Jws21

Premium Member

to Jws21
I've got a 1000' spool of Perfect Vision that has worked really well.

And, believe it or not, I've yet to have a single problem with all of the 100' spools of Radio Shack RG6 cable I've bought over the years.
Jws21
Erie, PA

Jws21

I have had a hard time locating name brand Bulk cable. Seems most place are off brands. If anyone knows of any good sites please let me know. I'd like to avoid quad shield so I can use my standard conectors. Thanks guys for the help so far

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg

Well, if it helps »www.satelliteinnovations ··· html#243 is where I saw that $110 spool of 1829BC. FedEx delivery is another $12

//greg//

herdfan
Premium Member
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV

herdfan to Jws21

Premium Member

to Jws21
Second the 1829BC. Belden cable is a breeze to terminate unlike some of the no-name brands.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by herdfan:

Second the 1829BC. Belden cable is a breeze to terminate unlike some of the no-name brands.

Yup, accepts standard SNS6 connectors. My fingers occasionally got a little sticky from the sealant, but nowhere near the the mess from most other flooded cable. I thought briefly of using latex gloves, but it really comes off quite easily with WD40.

//greg//
Jws21
Erie, PA

Jws21

I will most likely go with the Belden 1829BC Just need to find the best price

So far nothing cheaper than in the link posted above by grohgreg

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Jws21:

I will most likely go with the Belden 1829BC Just need to find the best price

So far nothing cheaper than in the link posted above by grohgreg

Do you need flooded cable?

I really wouldn't recommend it for indoor use. Flooding compound tends ooze when it gets warm. I've seen flooded cable used indoors, ruin equipment, and make a mess when a cable length full of flooding compound oozed into the gear.

Try Belden 7915a cable if you don't need direct bury rated cable like the 1829BC

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Well, this is only one example, but I've used 1829BC indoors and out for 3-4 years now. Not one singe episode of "ooze". Physically, the only way that can happen is when the black PVC outer cover is compromised. The flooding seeks the "leak" and seals it, thereby preventing moisture from getting between the PVC and the shielding. Common sense however, says don't use it in high traffic areas. I run my cable where it will never be touched by feet.

That said, pets and rodents might think chewing on it is fun. Same as feet, one should be smart enough to have the cable run avoid both. Rodents on the other hand, well I'd say that's a pest problem - rather than a cable problem

//greg//

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by grohgreg:

. Physically, the only way that can happen is when the black PVC outer cover is compromised.

Like when the cable is cut and a connector is put on?

Now that I think about it, in the cases where I saw flooding compound oozing into equipment, the cable connectors weren't very good. The connectors certainly weren't the quality of the compression connectors common in the last few years.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by DocDrew:

Like when the cable is cut and a connector is put on?

Only if you use that cheap crimp-on crap. That's why I was quite specific about it being SNS6 compatible. Snap-n-Seal connectors don't bleed.

//greg//
Jws21
Erie, PA

Jws21

FWIW I do not use "crimp on crap" PPC, SNS or Digicon's

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Then I respectfully suggest it might be time to review your cable end prep, or time for a new connector installation tool. Or both. Yes, you'll get a little flooding on your hands as you hand-fit the compression connector to the freshly cut cable end. But when a correctly prepared cable end has a compression connector "snapped" on properly, that's the end of it. That's the whole concept behind the compression design.

And heat from the sun should never cause bleed from exterior compression either, as they're supposed to be wrapped after installation with self-fusing tape or heat shrink.

//greg//