All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

InvisiBill
join:2004-12-01
Saranac, MI

InvisiBill

Current status of NVG510 IP Passthrough?

I've read the FAQ and looked through a number of related threads. However, much of the information seems a bit old or posted by people who don't really understand what's going on. I'm just hoping to get some current, concrete details before switching away from my dry-loop 6Mb DSL to 12 or 18Mb U-verse IP-DSL.

I currently have a SpeedStream 4100 doing PPPoE on the modem and sharing the public IP to the LAN device (to use their words, or what most people would call "bridged"). I essentially have a plain ol' Ethernet Internet connection coming into the WAN port of my router, much as you'd expect from a simple cable modem.

I'd like to duplicate this as much as possible with the new U-verse setup. Based on »broadband.custhelp.com/a ··· id/21989 I'd be fine with either DHCPS-dynamic (my router will be the only device plugged directly into the NVG510) or DHCPS-fixed (I can enter the router's MAC). I don't think I'd have any problems entering the info into my router if I used Manual, but I'd rather have the router just automatically get its settings via DHCP if possible (and I don't need or plan to get a static IP, if it's not included by default).

Some other postings seemed to indicate that there may be bugs with IP Passthrough and that it may not actually work correctly. »forums.att.com/t5/Featur ··· /2890841 is one example of this. It seems to mostly work, but the proper public IP doesn't actually get passed to the connected device (the workaround is to use Manual, but it requires reconfiguring the router if the public IP ever changes (which isn't exactly unlikely for a dynamic IP)). It's also stated that Motorola said that neither the NVG510 nor the 2210 can be bridged (though it may technically not be actual bridging that we're really looking for). However, other people seem to have it working ok. There were also several statements that a firmware update in late December would fix the known bugs with IP Passthrough, but I haven't seen any specific reports of that fix either.

Also, there were some posts that VPN (PPTP specifically) connectivity didn't work through the NVG510. I work in IT, so I'm on-call regularly (and on-call for the stuff I handle even when I'm not actually on-call). I need my Cisco IPSec to "just work".

So, to you people who actually have the NVG510 and a separate router, is IP Passthrough going to allow my router to get my U-verse public IP? Is my VPN connection going to work?

A bit off-topic, but I'm also wondering if I can supply my own NVG510. I can get it significantly cheaper than AT&T's $100 price tag, but there's no option in the online ordering to NOT buy it. I've heard of others using modems "from a previous U-verse setup", which makes sense since they're making you buy the hardware outright. However, I've also seen reports that people were forced into buying new hardware even when they already had U-verse (though their previous setup may not have been IP-DSL, meaning their existing hardware wouldn't have been compatible). Is there a better option that's compatible, if I'm going to be buying my own modem anyway? I'm not totally against paying a bit more to get the proper modem right from AT&T, but I don't want to pay nearly twice as much for identical (or even inferior) hardware if I don't have to.

Hopefully you folks can give me some insight,
Bill

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

I took one look at setting something like this up on my NVG510... and promptly bought the static IP block.

Good luck.

/M

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to InvisiBill

Premium Member

to InvisiBill
I tried the DHCPS-fixed, based on your mac address.
My router would get an IP but the modem would not make the connection. The mac was right, but it would only give an ip and would not route.
I changed it to DHCPS-dynamic and my router would get the IP and I could browse the internet without any problems.
Something is wrong with how they programmed the IP passthrough for the fixed.

I use VPN with a cisco client for my work every day just fine with the NVG510 and ip passthrough and never had a problem.

With the NVG510 the ip passthrough will allow your router to get the public IP address and your VPN will work.
I also have mine setup for IPV6.

I was forced to switch to uverse less than 1 month ago. ATT refused to let me buy my own NVG510 from ebay or craigslist. They said they would not activate it. I was forced to buy from them for $100 and then they "promised" to send me a $100 visa gift card rebate. I had to ask for the $100 visa gift card(I new about it from people posting about it).
People on here claim you can setup a used modem, but ATT tells me that is impossible.

ATT used to be great preUverse, now they are a horrible company.

Top it off I signed up for $25 a month and they are charging me $48 a month, so now I will probably have to waste hours (yes hours as their customer service is horrible) to get this fixed.

InvisiBill
join:2004-12-01
Saranac, MI

InvisiBill

said by r81984:

I tried the DHCPS-fixed, based on your mac address.
My router would get an IP but the modem would not make the connection. The mac was right, but it would only give an ip and would not route.
I changed it to DHCPS-dynamic and my router would get the IP and I could browse the internet without any problems.
Something is wrong with how they programmed the IP passthrough for the fixed.

Thanks, that's a little more info than I've seen elsewhere about the issue. As my router should be the only thing plugged into the NVG510, there shouldn't be a problem with not specifying its MAC explicitly. My understanding at this point is that the firmware seems to have some bugs in it. DNS timeouts shorter than the response times of the ATT servers, improper DHCP settings for passthrough, port forwarding simply not working right... But hopefully those won't really be an issue if it's properly handing everything off to my router.
said by r81984:

I use VPN with a cisco client for my work every day just fine with the NVG510 and ip passthrough and never had a problem.

Good to know. I found another page mentioning the PPTP (specifically GRE 1723) problems, and it also mentioned that IPsec worked ok. Sounds like I should be fine in this area too.
said by r81984:

I was forced to switch to uverse less than 1 month ago. ATT refused to let me buy my own NVG510 from ebay or craigslist. They said they would not activate it. I was forced to buy from them for $100 and then they "promised" to send me a $100 visa gift card rebate. I had to ask for the $100 visa gift card(I new about it from people posting about it).
People on here claim you can setup a used modem, but ATT tells me that is impossible.

That seems to match what I keep hearing, though it doesn't really make any sense. If they're forcing you to buy the modems now, then there will obviously be plenty of them out there. You shouldn't have to buy another modem which is exactly the same as the one you have other than the serial number, just because you moved a block away. I can understand not supporting other models or versions with non-ATT firmware, and wanting to avoid problems with people getting the wrong hardware. The ones I have access to are ATT (and I don't mind stretching the truth a bit) so hopefully they can simply authorize my unit for my account or whatever it is they do with the new 802.1x stuff.
said by r81984:

Top it off I signed up for $25 a month and they are charging me $48 a month, so now I will probably have to waste hours (yes hours as their customer service is horrible) to get this fixed.

They do say that the first two months' credit for the promo rate will be applied at some point in the first three months. Hopefully that's all it is and it's not a huge pain for you.

My employer used to be a very large ATT customer (I was told we were the second largest in the state). It was really nice, as it allowed us a bit of special treatment for our personal internet connections. We were able to get a higher tier than their system would normally allow (though it never actually reached those peak speeds) and we had a tech out almost immediately working on some wiring problems in the neighborhood.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

I had ATT dsl at several locations since 2000. They use to be great for DSL. Stable connection, no caps, great service.
What sucked is I just bought a DSL modem a year ago for $25 from Frys as I gave away my old one as my last place only had cable.
Then I change units in the same apartment complex and they force me from dsl onto Uverse and to buy a modem from them.

You would think after being in business for over 100 years they would be experts at billing, customer interaction, setting up any type of communications tech and project management.
It just seems like they have no idea what they are doing.

As for my billing problem, they told me nothing about promo price. I told them I was paying $25 a month for 6 meg DSL and would not pay more than $25 for the same speed since they forced me to switch. Then I see a bill for $48.

The only problem I have seen with Uverse is they are doing some kind of throttling on youtube. Last month with DSL I had no problems, but as soon as I switched to Uverse youtube is slow and wont show high res movies without long pauses. I have to watch videos at 240p only and sometimes that hiccups.
r81984

r81984 to InvisiBill

Premium Member

to InvisiBill
I spoke too soon.
DHCPS-dynamic worked for about a month and one night it stopped work. No resetting would get it working again.
I switch to the DHCPS-static with my ip statically set in my router and for the last week it has been fine.
(I wonder if there was a firmware update that killed it??)

I have no idea why they cant properly program the IP passthrough. Motorola should be experts at this by now.
SithL0rd
join:2001-05-17
Memphis, TN

SithL0rd to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

I took one look at setting something like this up on my NVG510... and promptly bought the static IP block.

Good luck.

/M

What do they charge for an IP block? I'd just need a /30

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

8 /$15
16 /$25
32 /$30