share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit

You need a connected TV to avoid all the expense

Why would I want to pay my cable company tons of money for digital cable for 300+ crap stations I never watch? Or why do I need to rent a crappy set top box that won't let me use my Samsung remote? Or why do I need to buy Tivo or Roku? That makes no sense. My condo building has bulk analog TWC TV. I have a Samsung 46" HDTV purchased last September. It has an internet browser. I watch all the TV that I like via clearqam in HD and without needing to pay TWC its ever increasing monthly fee for an ugly set top box with a crappy remote I am required to use thus having to fumble between it and the Samsung remote. I get a fair number of channels in digital form as well as all analog and all the broadcast HD ones and some other HD ones.

What is Boxee, or Xbox 360? Whatever they are why would I want to buy them in order to have connectivity options when I PURPOSELY bought a Samsung HDTV with internet browser and all Samsung apps for that purpose? I know several people here who have bought this exact Samsung I have just for streaming Netflix. I know a bunch of folks who have their Samsungs connected...that is what they bought them for. I don't understand this contention that folks are buying SMART Samsungs and then not connecting them...or even other brands...(but Samsungs have the most apps).

I can stream from Netflix, Hulu Plus, and, finally now, from Blockbuster, and many others for movies and TV shows directly from the TV using Samsung apps. I don't have my computer connected to the TV except via Allshare for accessing files on the computer. I have a bunch of apps on the TV and every time I turn it on it seems it updates for new apps.

The web browser I don't use much but that is because I don't have Samsung's qwerty keyboard remote and it is rather pricey. Trying to navigate the web without a keyboard (except virtual) or mouse is rather slow, irritating and painful. It is even easiest to register for sites like streaming Hulu Plus, etc using my PC rather than trying to use a virtual keyboard to do it via Samsung app. I noticed that Blockbuster requires registering on your computer not through the app.

I was interested to see Blockbuster finally added to Samsung apps when I checked a few days ago. I have always hated renting movies and having to return them in a specified period of time. So, I rarely rented movies. Now I have Blockbuster (which still has a large popular store in my town) available for streaming whenever I want with no driving to get it or making a special trip to return it within the time limit. Samsung (contrary to recent reports) has already made Blockbuster available...no waiting until June like the reports say. The movies are $2.99 and $3.99 mostly and TV shows are coming soon. I won't rent many but occasionally and it will sure beat driving to BB to rent and return.

I'm waiting for Samsung to add Amazon app. I have not subscribed yet to Hulu Plus or Netflix (which looks much less useful) but will this summer so I can stream all nine years of Gray's Anatomy that I missed when I had no TV for ten years until last September.

Edit: To you naysayers please tell me why I should spend money on a BluRay player? I have a TV to stream. I don't need or want a BluRay player. (I HATED my stereo VCR in its day...a total waste of $350). You guys who are poohpooing these TVs are doing so because you already spent tons of money on devices no longer needed. I don't see this TV becoming obsolete in the next 9-10 years it should last. VCR was around for a LONG time. Plus, I just want to stream OCCASIONAL movies, meaning maybe one or two a month no more, and catch up on all the back TV shows I missed during the ten years I didn't have a TV. Streaming with no need to purchase a lot of fancy, expensive equipment beyond my Smart Samsung TV will do just fine.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I can almost guarantee the apps on your TV will not be good for 9-10 years. Not a chance. Look at consoles the last gen out 10 years ago has never gotten netflix and they have a wider user base, much more powerful hardware and a longer product cycle than TVs. These tvs have cheap application processors that they will stop supporting in a year or two at most. They may get better but I predict it is more likely that slighted consumers, as you will be in a year or two when there is a hot new streaming app or change to an existing one that you can't get, will increasingly turn their noises at this mess.

Integrating things without clear benefits is negative not positive. Phone with camera, gps, internet, apps? Amazing portability and potential to use those technologies together. TV with VCR/DVD/smart function built in? No thanks I will take the flexibility of having them separated. Same reason I don't want my computer built in to my monitor. Bolting those things together makes sense for laptops but is dumb for desktops where portability is not required.

You say vcr's were bad, how about asking some one who had one integrated into their tv what they think of it (not to mention 10 years later when the medium was dead).

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
So? I got the TV to watch broadcast TV in HD without the need to pay my cable company more than the bulk rate I pay for analog TV. The rest is trimmings. If the trimmings go away and I think I cannot go with life if I can't get the "latest" streaming whatever...well I'll do without...no big deal. I had no TV at all for ten years and only very recently began to want one again...a few years from now, I probably won't want TV anymore again. As for movies, I never go to movies in movie theatres and if I can't occasionally watch one streaming via my TV five years from now...sooo??? It won't matter that much if I can't.

I dislike cell phones, don't have one, and don't want one. My privacy and health are important to me and that means avoiding cell phones. Everyone I know wants a Smart TV but many do not want cell phones and those I know with them (with the exception of business people) do not have bells and whistles on them.

What would be wrong with having VCR integrated into a TV when VCR was popular? I don't understand. I would have liked that a lot better than having to hook up a separate one. I hate set top boxes and anything that must hook up to a TV...integrated I like. What I did not like about VCR was all the hassle surrounding using one. It was not worth the hassle. DVR is far better but it involves hooking up stuff from your cable company to the TV which I don't want to do. I want it all integrated and I want to avoid being stuck with high fees from the cable company or some other company. Samsung should have built in a DVR.

As for a computer built into a monitor, I think that is cool. It is very elegant looking. All the tons of cables and wires all over are missing with an elegant looking computer like that. If the one Dell offers was rated higher, I would consider buying one. They currently are somewhat lacking so not good for the main computer but as a backup they would be great and look so nice! But they need Windows 8 so now is not the time to get one.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
reply to Mele20
Well, I bought a sharp aquos a year ago for a pretty penny. Having Netflix on it was nice. But now I would prefer to have access to the content that's on Amazon Prime which I also have (not for streaming, but it's a nice bonus). My TV doesn't have it. I could potentially spend, what, $100 on a box or, by your suggestion, buy a new TV for $1500? Why would that make any sense?

Actually, even buying a box doesn't make sense, as Avveo or whatever the new streaming thing discussed might not be supported by it. With the rasberry pi coming out with XBMC, I'm guessing something like that or a HTPC will make the most sense - if a user is actually interested in internet / smart TV...
--
Opera 11.1; Windows XP Pro SP3;Intel C2Q6600; 3GB DDR2 1066; 1M/128k DSL; Comodo Internet Security 5.3;Proxomitron 4.5j Sidki 2009-06-06,GPG ID:0x0A1C6EE3

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Shhhhh.... don't tell her that the FCC is proposing to allow cable companies be able to encrypt everything. Besides that TWC announced they're getting rid of all analog service within the next 5 years. So any cable service her TV has now will be useless without a box, probably within 5 years.

»Boxee Warns of Push for Basic Cable Encryption
»Time Warner Cable Abandoning Analog - All Digital 5 Years
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
As usual you seem to think I am an idiot. I know all that. Why wouldn't I?

Whenever Oceanic moves to all digital (probably not for 4-5 years because the vast majority of customers here have analog only still as this is a low income area with extremely high cost of living), new bulk contracts will be negotiated with multi dwelling buildings. Standard digital will likely become bulk rate and anything beyond that will be extra charge to the individual. When Standard digital becomes bulk rate then a box should be needed only for extras. That's what I have been told to expect. Of course, things can change, but I have about 4-5 years without a box even if a box ends up being required for Standard cable in multi dwelling buildings. Maybe I'll be bored with TV again by then, maybe I won't even be alive, maybe I will have moved to where I can get Dish instead, maybe a lot of things. If this building cannot get bulk rate when analog is finally killed, I think the building will put a dish on the roof and abandon OTWC or by then HawTel might have IPtv for Hilo and they would love a contract with this building. Many things can happen around 4-5 years from now. This TV could die also and I could choose not to replace it. (If bulk rate is not negotiated when Oceanic does move to all digital then I would simply not have a TV as I cannot afford individual home rate for digital cable. But I think the building would go with Dish or IPtv instead in that situation. But considering the expense Oceanic went to in converting the wiring to digital in this building I think they will do everything possible to keep the bulk account for TV).

Psst ...to anyone reading...take DrDrew's comments with a grain of salt. He proved to be mostly wrong about my recent HD TV problem. It WAS TOTALLY CAUSED BY OCEANIC and had nothing to do with the performance of the TV. It's fixed FINALLY except for some of the ads which are slowly getting fixed and are fixed on analog but not all fixed on HD clearqam channels. I was thanked again by neighbors for getting their TV reception fixed. HD channels are perfect again (except for some ads and occasional voice out of sync with video). As in the past, no one on the node called, none were persistent with Oceanic about it except for me and Oceanic has thanked me for my persistence and help. (That's not to say it won't go wacko again in the future and it would be nice if it wasn't always up to me to be the one to get it fixed).
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

1 edit
said by Mele20:

Psst ...to anyone reading...take DrDrew's comments with a grain of salt. He proved to be mostly wrong about my recent HD TV problem. It WAS TOTALLY CAUSED BY OCEANIC and had nothing to do with the performance of the TV. It's fixed FINALLY except for some of the ads which are slowly getting fixed and are fixed on analog but not all fixed on HD clearqam channels. I was thanked again by neighbors for getting their TV reception fixed. HD channels are perfect again (except for some ads and occasional voice out of sync with video). As in the past, no one on the node called, none were persistent with Oceanic about it except for me and Oceanic has thanked me for my persistence and help. (That's not to say it won't go wacko again in the future and it would be nice if it wasn't always up to me to be the one to get it fixed).

I was wondering what happened with that those multiple issues as you pretty much dropped the thread:
»[TWC] Ads not showing full screen (now Newscasts also) HD ch

I said some of it was caused by issues with the broadcaster or TWC. Then I asked about some settings on your TV because other Samsung users noticed they saw some of the issues you were seeing and it was caused by TV settings.

Things I said in that thread:
said by DrDrew :

What problems have the techs been out for and what have they told you?

said by DrDrew :

Did the techs ever try or suggest testing your setup with a cable box in place to see if the same problems still occurred?

The ad problems are because of resolution switching... sounds like the TV (or maybe a receiver or encoder in the cable headend or even the broadcaster) might be having issues with AFD or WSS signaling due to incorrect configuration.

AFD: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_For···cription
WSS: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen_signaling

Either way I'm curious as to how your problems would be affected if a cable box was used.

[edit] Do you have any other video sources (like a DVD, Bluray, or PC) you can connect to the TV to see if you have similar problems?

said by Drdrew :

The banners are a broadcaster issue, nothing TWC can do about that.

The resolution switching can be an issue with the broadcaster or something on TWCs end that needs to be adjusted.

Have you tried contacting the local ABC station? I think its KITV and they have a contact page:
»www.kitv.com/contactus/index.html

It might be an easier route than trying to get TWC to help you with a clearQAM issue. If nothing else they have a clear path to the right techs in TWC to assist in fixing it on their end.

At the very least you'll see what the local ABC says.

said by DrDrew :

So you have a 6000 series Samsung 46" LED TV.

Has it received any firmware updates in the last few weeks?
(My 55" LED 6000 series and my 55" 3D LED 8000 series Samsung TVs found a newer firmware version about 2 weeks ago, which I did, but haven't had any problems).

What picture size setting do you have it on?

Just checking the basics.

BTW, most cable providers don't like the energy saving setting on gear because then equipment turns off unexpectedly to the user and they call their provider wondering why they don't have a picture when their cable box is on. It just needlessly drives dumb calls that are easily preventable by turning the energy saving settings off. It's like the off switch on modems. Many users don't seem to understand it and it's just easier to support without it in the way.

said by DrDrew :

Your timing description always bugs me when reading through this thread... about how things change 20-30 minutes after turning it on. The cable company can't time things just for your TV.

Then flipping through the manual for your TV I noticed the above.

Are you sure "store demo" mode is off?

said by DrDrew :

Have you seen or heard of the same color or banner problems with any of your neighbors or at the local TWC office?

Did I blame your TV? I said it might be possible and I asked about some settings because other people had similar issues due to certain settings on the TV.

Do you have an actual description of what was done to fix those problems? "TOTALLY CAUSED BY OCEANIC" isn't possible for all of the issues you had.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.