spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

goose1000

join:2010-11-13

[Xtreme] AT&T threaten me..I think!

Just curious, after having an issue with my DSL service for about 16 months now, I have been informed that if I "do not quit calling in" that I may be refused service. Can AT&T do that? I was also told that the only way I will lose DSL sync is if I lose a dial tone on my phone line and that all the static noise and popping on my phone line will not cause loss of sync. Then my question is" What in the hell is SNR margin good for? I live in a neighborhood where 6 out 8 home are having issues with their phone lines and yet because I`m the one trying to get it fixed, I`m going to lose my service. Someone please advise me of what my next step should or could be.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

DSL service is not a regulated or lifeline service, and AT&T can and will terminate your service for just about any real or fabricated reason that they care to use. I am actually very surprised that they even bothered to threaten you instead of simply killing your account.

Do you have service available from Comcast, Charter, TWC, Clearwire, etc in your location? If so, you may find that dumping AT&T is your best choice of action.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to goose1000

No DSL does not not depend on dial tone at all physically just marketing.

In fact I have by accident neglected my phone bill and had POTS cut off, but still used DSL to pay and restore service in minutes.

Conversely excessive POTS noise will screw up DSL.

So stop calling about your DSL and call POTS CS and bitch to them. Your line noise is cleared up very likely so will your DSL be.

On the other side have you every mentioned the POTS noise to the DSL side if so they should have acted but maybe not if you just bitched about the DSL.
--

Jackoffjill

@windstream.net
reply to goose1000

If they relay said to you stop calling in, shame on them.Call in a trouble on you telephone number, more than likely it will fix you dsl issue, as stated by Hayward .The static and popping could be a short or a high open on the line, hence snr margins.If you don't get any ware ,time to call public service commission (PSC) and let them know about how they asked you to stop calling in because your service that att is providing you , and you are paying for is not working. Get the name of the rep and if possible the name of the supervisor on duty , and also give that to the PSC.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to goose1000

You should post your problem in the »AT&T Direct forum. I was having the same problem, only took a couple months to get the problems fixed after I posted there
I was getting annoyed at the automated support after 2 months of it I posted there.

I think they lit a fire under the local techs and managers office.

They are very helpful.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

goose1000

reply to Jackoffjill

Well the DSL side has pretty much replaced everything from the modem to the Dslam, they have found high opens and multiple lines that were corroded and replaced them until they couldn't find anything else. They then consulted with POTS and determined that the line noise is what could cause the drop in sync. So after calling POTS in for a couple weeks, that's when I got an "unofficial call" and was told what would happen if I kept calling in problems with my line. Coincidentally that's where I got the DSL won`t work without a dial tone". I`m in no position to lose my service, but when I get disconnected on a good day around 30 times and on bad days around 150, I got to say something. The noise doesn't`t happen all the time, I can hear the noise when my DSL is constantly dropping. But 9 out 10 times when a tech comes out it is working and they cannot find anything while it is working.

gaforces

Santa Cruz, CA

They werent able to find the problem here at first cause of the same things you posted.
After it rained, and I was getting low speeds and disconnections/crackling on the voice line I called immediatly and they could see (and hear) there was indeed a problem and sent a tech the next day.
The tech was able to trace the problems with his meter.
It told him there was a problem at 400 and 1200 feet on the line. The next day they sent a line tech who fixed the faulty connections and replaced some wire.
Its been solid since then.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

goose1000

That`s another crazy thing about this connection, rain doesn't`t affect it. It rained all day yesterday and it didn't`t drop. My problem will happen when it`s all clear and sunny skies outside, then it will drop all day. Currently Im on a good streak now disconnects for a day or so, but before that this week I had nearly 200 drops. I cannot relate the noise to any weather at all it is so random.

mdv921

join:2008-06-26
reply to goose1000

File a complaint on line with the public service commission in your state. Let them know exactly what AT&T said to you. You'll get a call from someone at AT&T relatively quickly (at least I did), and it won't be from the same department where the yahoo works who threatened you.

At the minimum maybe they can get the right people on the ball to get your problem fixed. The bunch in the internet division apparently think they are above doing what is required to provide good customer service. Complaining to the PSC will get them put on notice by people higher up than themselves.

gaforces

Santa Cruz, CA
reply to goose1000

The lines were just starting to dry out and caused enough resistance for the meter to read. Once you contact att direct they will give you a number to call when it's failing.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

goose1000

reply to mdv921

That`s the problem, I have spoken with someone higher up and they got on the local people,the local person is the one who insinuated that I could lose my service. The DSL side has placed blame back on the POTS side. But I guess PSC will be next step.

w4ncr

join:2000-10-27

And BBB The Better Business Bureau !

cissjbk

join:2010-11-17
Irmo, SC
reply to goose1000

Try talking to your neighbors with the same problem, then contact a local news station and see if they're interested in some consumer abuse stories...

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to goose1000

ATT is trash.

Just dump them.

Tech Help

@sykesasia.com
reply to goose1000

Have you considered other factors that contribute to your connection issue?

- modem
- router
- cable
- interference

Have you noticed it having a pattern?

- time it usually happens
- period of disconnection (how long are you connected/disconnected?)

Have you checked the modem's behavior?

- red light showing
- clicking sound
- equipment being very hot

If you have a router, have you tried doing a direct connection with just the modem on?

DIAL TONE does affect internet connectivity. BUT it is only applicable to bundle service.

AT&T has two type of internet connection, maybe even three.

AT&T Direct Residential is internet connection that doesn't have phone service bundled. It still uses a phone jack but it can't be use as a landline phone.
AT&T DSL Residential is where you have both landline service and internet from provider. Your account number is the same as the phone number. This is where dial tone is important because they are bundled together.
Third is IFITL, this doesn't need a modem and it's a direct connection from the data cable from the wall to the computer. Has limited availability in some areas.

kycats21

@bellsouth.net
reply to goose1000

Where do you live? Static on your line will cause your dsl to drop. Call in your dsl trouble demand someone comes out and when then tech gets there tell him your trouble and ask for his supervisors phone number. he should give it to you

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8

He should call for POTS repair, not DSL. There's nothing wrong with the DSL; the *line* is messed up.

jackoffjill

@windstream.net
reply to goose1000

Have you checked your connection at the network interface jack outside you house to see if you get the same results ?

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to goose1000

do you have a homerun where your dsl modem is connnected to?

if you can, can you post pictures of your NID, your modem setup and all.

goose1000

reply to DataRiker

Only ISP where I live.

goose1000

reply to goose1000

I have tried all of these things proposed. My modem is new, don`t have a router and cable has been replaced from pc all the way out to box at road. The problem is not time specific, it can and does happen at anytime for 10-15secs this is where the DSL light goes off completely. On occasion I have been without sync for as long as 5-10 mins and a couple of times around 30 mins. My neighbors have called in some line noise issues and it seems to actually have helped mine, only dropping maybe 5-6 times a day now for past week. It is a homerun connection from what I was told by a tech. After contacting BBB my line has gotten mysteriously better, but could be a coincidence too. Local Supervisor told me that he cannot send trucks out every time I call in a problem and that if I did not stop calling "my service can be dropped". So now I`m in a corner, I`m in no position to lose my service.

Expand your moderator at work

goose1000

reply to jackoffjill

Re: [Xtreme] AT&T threaten me..I think!

Yes, I have connected modem and my phone straight to NID, I still get Static on my phone and loss of sync outside.

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:96
reply to goose1000

I can work on this if you wish, you will need to send me an IM, email or post in the direct forum.

THanks
David

goose1000

Hey David, Thanks but I actually got a call from AT&T`s Presidents office today and they are going to investigate what is going on, hopefully they will get it solved.

David
hours are m-th 1130-10p central
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:96
reply to goose1000

alright, well let me know.

goose1000

Hey David, why would A Netopia 3347-02 do random restarts? Here is what the log says below.

3/4/12 08:35:36 AM L5 KS: Using configured options found in flash
3/4/12 08:35:36 AM L5 KS: Customer default options found in flash - using
3/4/12 08:35:36 AM L3 BOOT: Warm start v7.8.1

medbuyer

said by goose1000:

Hey David, why would A Netopia 3347-02 do random restarts? Here is what the log says below.

3/4/12 08:35:36 AM L5 KS: Using configured options found in flash
3/4/12 08:35:36 AM L5 KS: Customer default options found in flash - using
3/4/12 08:35:36 AM L3 BOOT: Warm start v7.8.1

how new is this modem?

goose1000

Not even a year old yet.

medbuyer

what's the complete model #?

3347-02-XXXX...what is the XXXX?