spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tollhouse

join:2008-07-15
Wallback, WV

Frontier random throttling of customers proven.

Just dealing with this since friday, and can't get it resolved till monday at the earliest as the appropriate 'supervisor' won't be in till then.

Our internet here (Wallback, WV) has been great for the most part. 3.7meg down and 448k up. About a year ago, it was dropped down to 1meg down and 10k up, but that was found out to be a problem at the dslam.

Fast forward to friday. Internet is super slow. Check connection. All my levels are proper (when tested by the local tech on his neat 'theoretical connection speed monitor', my line supports 16 down and 12 up). 1meg down, 100k up. Call Frontier. First tech says He can't do a ticket and I get put back into queue. 2nd is customer service who says our line stats are proper and that we are supposed to get 7meg down and for an unknown reason were improperly set to 3meg, but other than that, he can't reset anything and sends me back to tech support to get a ticket in the system.

I was a bit confused as it made no sense for the customer service to say that at random, but anyway, new tech support guy, gets info, says will put in ticket. I was out at the movies yesterday and my dad (who is recovering from cancer) answered the phone. It was frontier calling to say that they are randomly slowing down customers to 1/7th their max speed to ease congestion on the network and will only set it back up to what you are supposed to have if you call in and ask to speak to a supervisor.

We shall see how this goes monday.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
That may be true. We continue to experience slow downs and about 15 minutes after we call tech support the speeds promptly return to the quasi normal.

DJ24966

join:2005-12-07
Renick, WV
That explains why mine was shut down and was not put back to 3Mb until I complained. They claimed it was because of 'upgrades'

Tollhouse

Wallback, WV
reply to Tollhouse
so far:

"DSL Max doesn't mean you'll get max speed. It means you will get 1meg down and if we think you deserve more, you'll get more."

A callback promised after he checks to see what our area's "Max" is (customer service says 7, he says 1.... this is so sad).

DJ24966

join:2005-12-07
Renick, WV
See, I was told last year by Stephanie (Runs the Facebook/Twitter stuff), after she contacted the techs that I could get 8Mb here, so I said okay go ahead and do it, within 30 minutes she took that back saying it was not available.

Tollhouse

Wallback, WV
reply to Tollhouse
ok, an update. Back to 3712kbps down and we got a nice boost up from 448kbps to 640kbps.

The problem? Someone decided to do someone else a 'favor' and disconnect a customer at random from their proper slot and put them on a slower port and slot.

From what I gather, said person was getting a butt-chewing about breaking frontier protocol to do 'favors' for friends.

Captain

join:2009-12-22
Dexter City, OH
reply to Tollhouse
I think they have a quality of service thing going. I can turn off and restart, then all is normal for about 4-5 speed test and then it slows again.

If it was congestion the bandwidth wouldn't be there for 4-5 normal speed test.

In the end it is congestion with QOS trying to deal with it.