how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rockafella21

join:2010-04-08
New Castle, PA

1 edit

Problem with inconsistant download speed.

I am on the 7.1mb/768kb DSL provided from DSL Extreme through Verizon. I was getting really good speed for a while now until recently. I would say this started back up around 2 weeks ago. I thought it would eventually speed back up but it hasn't. Before this started happening I was consistently seeing speeds of 6.8mb/.73mb with a latency of 30ms. Now the speeds seam to be all over the place. Sometimes the speed test show that the download speed is only 1-2mb. Other times it could be between 2mb to 5mb. Sometimes the speeds are normal. Everything on my end looks good. I am syncing at full speed 7840kbps/864kbps. The noise margin is staying right around 10db down and 20db up. Therefore, it seams the issue would be due to a lack of bandwidth. Especially when everything was running beautiful until a few weeks ago. Verizon's website has also been updated to show that my address is capable of getting speeds of up to 7mb as well. This has nothing to due with distance to the central office or anything like that so I will not accept that as an excuse. If that was the case it would not run correctly at all.

New speed test while the problem is happening.

I have determined the problem is happening after 5PM EST. After talking to tech support they agree with me that this is a congestion issue. According to phone support we are awaiting a reply from Verizon.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:27
Sounds like we already have a ticket open to resolve this for you, but feel free to PM me your account info or ticket number when you get a chance.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to Rockafella21
Looking better now Nick. Still struggling a bit to produce speeds as high as they were but defiantly an improvement. Before it was nothing to get 6.8mbps download speeds. Now it is struggling to hold 6mb. I'm gonna keep an eye on things and see if they get slower tonight. It is after 5Pm EST but I'm gonna check it again around 9Pm EST. That seams to be when it was at its worst. I will keep you informed. Thanks for looking into the matter for me I greatly appreciate it.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
Click for full size
Congestion/Latency
Click for full size
pingplotter_http
I have setup pingplotter with WinPcap to use TCP packets on port 80 to prove there is in fact a congestion issue going on with my connection. While it is true that some routers do prioritize ICMP traffic which makes tracerts less reliable using TCP packets eliminates this situation. As you can see from the image below there is ALOT of congestion taking place on hops 4,5, and 6. Now that we have the diagnosis lets work on the cure. Also lets get it worked on today.

****Edit I have included a screen shot to show that the packets used are definatly TCP HTTP packets so this rules out the ICMP prioritizing.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Er... it's entirely possible I'm missing something very obvious, but I'm just not seeing any congestion going on there in that first screencap. All of the hops have green indications on the left, since they are 0-200 ms... 13-35ms is not what I'd consider congested.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA

1 edit
The 13-35ms that you are referring to is showing you the latency at that given time in the screenshot. If you look at the arrows it shows you how high the latency has gotten at its max. You can also see how many times the latency has increased by looking at the graphs to the right of the arrow. See how the first 2 hops without the arrows are very stable with only one spike? Also this test was done before 5pm and the latency was already getting high.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
I have just ran a line quality test that proves the same thing that pingplotter was showing me. As I told you I am noticing a problem at the last Verizon hop right before being passed off to Alter.net. The IP address of the hop that is giving me problems is 130.81.28.204. In pingplotter I am showing when this hop is acting up it starts affecting all the hops after it. This results in major packet loss at the last hop. Here is the line quality test results »/pingtest/4592···/2886398.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA

1 edit
reply to dslx_nick
So I take it ping of 330ms to a local server and speeds of 3.8mbps is normal for the 7.1mb/768kb speed tier? Latency of 900ms to a server that is less than 100 miles away. Sure that indicates a problem I would think.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1813441857.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1813445524.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1813447411.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1813477425.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1813479492.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1813480747.png
I guess playing the Xbox 360 online is not allowed on a DSL Extreme connection. They will say everything is fine on their end. Can someone please get this problem resolved sometime soon? This is getting ridiculous!

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
Click for full size
Here you go. Now you can see exactly what I'm talking about. All the way down to the last hop is affected.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA

1 edit
reply to dslx_nick
Also right now the default gateway is producing 50% packet loss. The packet loss is happening off and on. I am also showing latency spikes at the default gateway as well. I am testing to two different sites at the moment dslreports and speedguide.net. It is 6:15Pm right now. I am going to continue to test until 9Pm or so. According to the information I am seeing a circuit change is needed. This is the same thing that has happened in the past. What happens is I get moved to a location with few customers. Verizon sees how well the connection is running so they move hundreds of other people over who are having problems. It never fails. They create their own problems.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
reply to Rockafella21
I'm looking at the chart, and it looks like the massive spikes in congestion are starting between hop 1 (192.168.x.x) and hop 2 (10.x.x.x). That would suggest the source of latency may be your own (in-house) router. Try removing that device, then running another pingplotter test and let's see what the results from that are.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
Its not the router because when I run the line quality tests it shows 0 packet loss on that hop. Also if it was my router it would be producing the problem constantly and not just doing peak hours. We both know that.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
10.x.x.x is an internal IP address. Do you have some other device, such as a VOIP or external firewall?

We really need to test without whatever that 10.x.x.x device is, because the max readings are spiking to 300+ starting from it. The average column readings are only about 27, round trip.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to Rockafella21
I am almost positive that is Verizon's Edge router at the CO. I have see the IP address to that hop change after they have made changes to my connection in the past. As a matter of fact I know it is Verizon's because when they had me on interleave that hop increased to 30ms. There is no way they would be able to control the latency to my router.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
10.x.x.x is an internal IP. That's not something on Verizon's network, any more than 192.168.x.x is. Certainly, the number can change (just as a computer's IP address may change from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3), but it's not something under Verizon's control.

Maybe I'm wrong, but please, humor me in this: try bypassing EVERYTHING (VOIP, firewall, router, whatever) and connect the modem straight to your computer, and then run a pingplotter test.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
The place where I am seeing the real latency issue is at hop 3 which is 682ms at the moment. The second hop the one starting in 10x has only got as high as 50ms. I am going to disconnect the router but I am sure you are going to see that hop again.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA

1 edit
reply to dslx_nick
The first hop has now become the same 10x ip. I told you. I also had to switch out the modem because my Netgear has a build in router. Therefore, I switched to the Comtrend that is you guys. So this proves that IP address neither belonged to my router or the modem. For some odd reason is it also now saying destination unreachable when I try to use pingplotter. Always something!!!

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
I got pingplotter running now. I am still seeing latency spikes at the 10x IP. Were the latency really seams to get high is 3rd hop which is the Verizon hop I been telling you about. It is 130.81.28.204. That is the hop right before going out to Alter.net which aslo seams to spike. Then, when they really start acting up you can see problems all the way down.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
I must say I wasn't expecting that. Would you mind posting up some screenshots?

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
Click for full size
I still got pingplotter running. Waiting for it to really start acting up again like earlier. However, you can see the 10x IP is still present.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA

2 edits
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
You can see here on this page a Verizon customer with the same problem as me. »Slow DSL in evenings

I also been seeing spots at the 10x IP where I am getting 50%-100% packet loss.

Okay I am hooking back up the router. I am done for the night. I have some other things I need to take care of.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

1 edit
I'll check to see if they're using an Edge router with that IP... if not, however, then there must be some other piece of equipment you have hooked up. Do you have a VOIP unit or an external firewall or some other device connected?

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
I don't have any other equipment at all hooked up! My desktop was directly connected to the Comtrend modem which I was using in bridge mode, and entering the PPPOE settings in windows. If you look at similar tracerts from Verizon you will see there is a 10x IP on all of them! That 10x IP is used to mask the IP of there default gateway.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
Here's some examples. »www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1584783 »us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic···0?page=4

Here's an example of a tracert just like the one I posted where I was directly connected to the Comtrend.
»www.wowblues.com/us/latency-issu···412.html

So what we all have extra equipment hooked up? Everyone who used Verizon DSL?

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
I have to admit what seams really retarded is being told that I have to downgrade service when the speeds are only slow during peak hours. Since the last router change the real problem is the latency issue. Doesn't make sense. Last time I checked that was a congestion issue. Especially when the customer has been pulling speeds of 6.8/.73 on on the 7.1/768 speed tier for the last 6 months. That doesn't sound like someone that is to far from the central office and needs to downgrade their service.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
So let me get this straight. I could be to far from the central office, and still get speeds like the ones below during non peak hours? Scratch that... For the last 2 years? We are being fed some bull caca and I know it. The sad part is I don't think you realize it.

State College, Pa
»www.speedtest.net/result/1817531324.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1817537087.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1817538491.png

Pittsburgh, Pa
»www.speedtest.net/result/1817540911.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1817542306.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1817543855.png

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Rockafella21
Verizon needs to get on the ball and fix their capacity issues. I'm not super familiar with how DSLExtreme sells their services, but if it is simply resold Verizon service, the DSLAM you're on or some other portion of the network is due for an upgrade. That would take them some time to do of course, if they even do it

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
Yep I agree. However, DSL Extreme always seams to think other wise. I think they actually believe everything Verizon tells them. Where as guys like you and I investigate ourselves, and find the real solutions to the problem. Getting them fixed is a separate issues though when your dealing with companies of this caliber.

Rockafella21

New Castle, PA
reply to dslx_nick
Click for full size
I wonder why this would be happening all a sudden?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Have any Hardware Firewall running or is your PPPoE session dying? Looks like something is blocking the ICMP pings if it isn't an issue with the connection's performance.