etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to DrDrew

Re: Launching An Optional Usage-Based Pricing Plan In STexas

said by DrDrew:

said by etaadmin:

Under TWC's usage based billing plan internet speed tiers become irrelevant, what advantage would 50Mbps have over 7Mbps and a 5GB CAP? Absolutely nothing! So paying $100 for the 50Mbps tier and getting a $5 discount for being such a nice subscriber doesn't make sense when the subscriber can pay $15? for lite and get the $5 discount. Like some cynics like to say 'you only hit the CAPS faster'

I believe that is why the discount and cap are ONLY available for the standard (10/1) and LOWER tiers because it doesn't make sense for the higher speed tiers.
said by Cable Untangled site :

1) Up to 5GB/month of data transmission for a $5/month discount from ones current monthly bill. All Standard, Basic and Lite broadband customers will be eligible. Turbo, Extreme and Wideband customers will continue as always, with access to unlimited broadband and no optional tiered plan or discounts.

This is for customers who don't use much and want to save a few more bucks.

I understand that... no problem but my concern is that eventually UBB will percolate to the higher tiers and worse it will no longer be 'optional'

What I stated are things that might happen like in BBR's main article »Time Warner Cable Returns to (Optional, For Now) Metered Billing

Will TWC pull a 'at&t unlimited wireless' on its subscribers? Will TWC 'alter the deal'? Will TWC make UBB mandatory? These are very important issues.

As for saving a few bucks... $5 for not going over 5GB is nothing. Today just buying a double whopper with bacon cost you around $7

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Our take on this at Stop the Cap! (We were at ground zero in Rochester and called in Rep. Massa and Sen. Schumer to put a stop to this the first time):

»stopthecap.com/2012/02/27/our-co···billing/

»stopthecap.com/2012/02/27/breaki···billing/
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to etaadmin

For some $5 is $5 and something to be saved for other things or because they don't have it to begin with.

I'm sure many of the same people who'd go for this also own their own modem and subscribe to the lite or basic tiers. So add $5 to the few bucks they're saving on modem rental and a few more they're saving on the cheaper tiers.

As an OPTION, I don't see a problem with it. As for worrying if TWC will "alter the deal" later, they can already do that at any time now. This option doesn't change that, so I'll choose to worry about something else that is actually happening and maybe glance at other options just to see what's available from other providers anyway.

I and I'm sure many others would have ALOT more problems with your idea of a plan with $1 per GB usage...
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

etaadmin

Dallas, TX

1 edit

said by DrDrew:

For some $5 is $5 and something to be saved for other things or because they don't have it to begin with.

I'm sure many of the same people who'd go for this also own their own modem and subscribe to the lite or basic tiers. So add $5 to the few bucks they're saving on modem rental and a few more they're saving on the cheaper tiers.

As an OPTION, I don't see a problem with it. As for worrying if TWC will "alter the deal" later, they can already do that at any time now. This option doesn't change that, so I'll choose to worry about something else that is actually happening and maybe glance at other options just to see what's available from other providers anyway.

IMHO and I mean very very humble opinion. For someone to be very concerned about $5 then he/she shouldn't be subscribing to any broadband service. I mean a person like that should be better off spending those 5GB at his/her local library's computers... preferably searching for a job, a better job or how to apply for social services and I say this with my utmost respect.

Don't get me wrong, I understand TWC proposal and motives but TWC's plan seems stupid. If TWC wanted to entice this segment of its subscriber base they should make it pure usage based and not speed tier + usage

I disagree on your last paragraph, to keep quiet is to grant. TWC's last attempt at UBB was foiled because of people speaking up.

My idea doesn't matter as I don't work for TWC and I'm not economically involved with TWC (other than to send my payment every month)... it is just an idea. I'll have another perhaps a different one after I hit my head (again) trying to reconnect that loose power strip under my desk

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by etaadmin:

IMHO and I mean very very humble opinion. For someone to be very concerned about $5 then he/she shouldn't be subscribing to any broadband service. I mean a person like that should be better off spending those 5GB at his/her local library's computers... preferably searching for a job, a better job or how to apply for social services and I say this with my utmost respect.

Between time needed, bus fare, gas money, usage fees, print out fees, etc. it may be cheaper to use broadband access at home to prep for a job, search for that job, apply for social services, etc. Especially when using an owned modem on $30/mo. Lite tier with a $5/mo. (15%) discount due to limited use.

TWC won't go for a purely usage based plan for the same reasons electric, water, gas, and phone companies don't. They want the base fee just to cover cost of the active line.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

TWC won't go for a purely usage based plan for the same reasons electric, water, gas, and phone companies don't. They want the base fee just to cover cost of the active line.

Those base fees are pretty low, though. My electric bill is about 15 cents if I don't use any electricity (which happens due to my solar panels). Gas has a $5 baseline, and my water is $13.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

etaadmin

Dallas, TX
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

Between time needed, bus fare, gas money, usage fees, print out fees, etc. it may be cheaper to use broadband access at home to prep for a job, search for that job, apply for social services, etc. Especially when using an owned modem on $30/mo. Lite tier with a $5/mo. (15%) discount due to limited use.

Forgot to mention the calories burnt when you wake up, take a shower, dress, tie your shoes, shoe wear, sidewalk wear, carbon emissions, etc... lets not get carried away shall we?

said by DrDrew:

I definitely know TWC will not go for a pure usage based fee as it doesn't make any sense for their bottom line and I definitely don't blame them. I only have to say that this UBB doesn't make any sense (to me) and I would hate to see it extended to higher tiers and eventually make it the de facto standard.

I'm also confused by mixed signals coming out from TWC, looks like many people like in this link have noticed it too »Funny The 'better service' TV commercials that are currently airing now seem to encourage consumption by using 3rd party services rather than to limit it. I was as surprised as djrobx See Profile to see the netflix reference in TWC's TV commercials... which is it to use or not to use?

Also in this other link »The real design of this the OP mentioned something I missed. Seems logical that the lower tiers especially the lite tier is targeted for low income individuals and the fact that the RGV, border corridor and the South part of Texas are among the poorest regions of the US which makes me wonder what is TWC thinking? In addition those areas have not been upgraded to docsis3 and the residents are more likely to remain silent and not complain.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by etaadmin:

I'm also confused by mixed signals coming out from TWC, looks like many people like in this link have noticed it too »Funny The 'better service' TV commercials that are currently airing now seem to encourage consumption by using 3rd party services rather than to limit it. I was as surprised as djrobx See Profile to see the netflix reference in TWC's TV commercials... which is it to use or not to use?

Why can't it be both messages? Higher cost, high speed unlimited tiers available for those who want it and are willing to pay. Lower cost, low speed, low bandwidth tiers for those who want to save money or can't afford anything more.
--

etaadmin

Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

said by DrDrew:

said by etaadmin:

Why can't it be both messages? Higher cost, high speed unlimited tiers available for those who want it and are willing to pay. Lower cost, low speed, low bandwidth tiers for those who want to save money or can't afford anything more.

Yeah... why not?

All this stuff should be on ridiculist. I can see a TWC sub telling an at&t sub "Hey your adsl and vdsl have 150/250 GB usage CAPS" at&t sub "Yeah, but our usage meters are broken but you guys have a 5GB usage CAP" TWC sub "Yeah, but our CAPS are for poor subscribers and optional"

It's a MAD world

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

said by etaadmin:

All this stuff should be on ridiculist. I can see a TWC sub telling an at&t sub "Hey your adsl and vdsl have 150/250 GB usage CAPS" at&t sub "Yeah, but our usage meters are broken but you guys have a 5GB usage CAP" TWC sub "Yeah, but our CAPS are for poor subscribers and optional"

It's a MAD world

haha too funny

Night0wl

join:2011-06-23
reply to etaadmin

In my very humble opinion, as a person "like that" and very concerned about $5.00, I would say , off topic, that perhaps you do not understand the severe economic crisis which can befall older, college educated, professional persons. I have a full time job, but wages have decreased, (a total of $10,000 less in 2011 than 2010), expenses increase, manager jobs start at $10 an hour, and thousands apply for a few openings at a so called better job. In fact I interviewed this afternoon, one out of 1500 applicants, and have another interview later this week. I could certainly trek down in my limited free time to the library computer, since I shouldn't be subscribing to any broadband service. I could certainly apply for social services, and take a SNAP card to a dark and dirty area of town to sell for extra cash.

To cut expenses I decreased my internet speed, downgraded my cable package and quite ironically, plan to return my extra $5 a month cable box this weekend. Five dollars is sufficient to make lunch for five days.

(done with off topic)

etaadmin

Dallas, TX

said by Night0wl:

In my very humble opinion, as a person "like that" and very concerned about $5.00, I would say , off topic, that perhaps you do not understand the severe economic crisis which can befall older, college educated, professional persons. I have a full time job, but wages have decreased, (a total of $10,000 less in 2011 than 2010), expenses increase, manager jobs start at $10 an hour, and thousands apply for a few openings at a so called better job. In fact I interviewed this afternoon, one out of 1500 applicants, and have another interview later this week. I could certainly trek down in my limited free time to the library computer, since I shouldn't be subscribing to any broadband service. I could certainly apply for social services, and take a SNAP card to a dark and dirty area of town to sell for extra cash.

To cut expenses I decreased my internet speed, downgraded my cable package and quite ironically, plan to return my extra $5 a month cable box this weekend. Five dollars is sufficient to make lunch for five days.

(done with off topic)

Believe me I DO UNDERSTAND hunger and waking up in the mornings thinking on what to do but $5 did not buy me lunch then much less today.

In the early 1990's when I was in that situation the first thing I cancelled was cable TV and my GTE ISDN line. I sold my 1991 Mitsubishi eclipse and bought a small Mazda protege. I still remember the day the TCI cable guy (now it is TWC) disconnected my cable, he knocked on my door first I didn't open then he climbed the pole and disconnect me from the mains, I was watching TV then and suddenly static... very depressing times.

I wish you the best of the best.

Night0wl

join:2011-06-23

(off topic) I did say *make* as opposed to *buy*. It's very easy to stretch grocery money with coupons, bulk cooking, freezing dishes.