Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

[TV] NextBox 2.0 / Whole Home PVR Install experience

(Broke this out from the "hole home PVR" coming soon thread, since it's technically now "here")

Alright - after over an hour on the phone last night, bouncing between Tech Support, Customer Service, Engineering, and Teir 2 support, here's what we know:

This product wasn't ready for launch.

There are software problems on their end, that they hope will be resolved by the weekend. I got a call late last night (well, 9:30 is late for some of us...) from a manager in Tech Support, that's picked up my file; and he appologized for the run-around I experienced earlier; as well as gave me an actual low-down of what's going on.

Between the 3 1/2 hours the installer spent on site, and the time I've spent on the phone, I'm close to 5 hours into this install over the course of the week...

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
said by LazMan:

Between the 3 1/2 hours the installer spent on site,

Holy crap. Did he have to rewire your whole house?

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
No - the physical work (swapping the 3 boxes, adding the MoCA filter, and breaking out the internet line) - took maybe 45 minutes...

The rest of the time, he spent on the phone with his support people, trying to resolve an issue with the HD-PVR not taking the updated software - apparently internal support's answer for everything is "Swap the box", too - installer had to change boxes 3 times, before support said they didn't know what the issue was, and that they'd try to push the update overnight instead... And each box swap means 15 mins for it to boot, etc...

I do feel badly for the installer - he was a piece-work contractor, and either he, or his company, was loosing money on this job, for sure. He was quick and professional with everything HE did - that Rogers couldn't make the software side of it work, is all on them...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to JAC70
said by JAC70:

said by LazMan:

Between the 3 1/2 hours the installer spent on site,

Holy crap. Did he have to rewire your whole house?

According to the other thread, it was mostly trouble-shooting issues with the software upgrade not taking on the PVR.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

No - the physical work (swapping the 3 boxes, adding the MoCA filter, and breaking out the internet line) - took maybe 45 minutes...

What is a MoCA filter? and where is that placed?

If your experience is typical, Rogers are in for a lot of unhappy customers --- one would hope that Rogers are far more professional in their approach --- your experience is indicative of an organization very poorly prepared to handle technical issues under rollout conditions.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
The MoCA filter prevents the signal from the MoCA STBs from leaking back out into the neighbourhood's cable network. Especially with WHPVR it would prevent your neighbours from accessing your WHPVR system and vice versa. It would be placed where the cable provider's network enters your home.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
Well, still no developments on the Whole-Home PVR portion - still doesn't work; but I did get a voicemail from Rogers, saying that the free PVR-extender is backordered 2-3 weeks, and will shipped to me when it comes in...

Really?

According to the call centre, I was among the first to order; and I was the first live service installed in the Barrie area, according to my installer - there were 2 previous "test" installs... And there's a 2-3 week back-order for the extender. So I guess Rogers had next to none in stock to start with?

Oh, and icing on the cake - my SD box stopped working yesterday - "This box is not authorized" - so apparently it was dropped from my account, too... It's just in my bar, and only gets used for parties and sporting events, but still.

I know being an early adopter isn't always a smooth ride; but this has been a complete joke...

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
Call Centre would have no idea whether you're the first one to order. You might have been the first WHPVR order for that particular rep, but there's no way for that rep to know you were one of the first orders considering there are thousands of reps and they are scattered throughout different call centres in the country.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
True - although since a call centre manager, and 2 other agents came on the line to help take the order; I'm feeling pretty confident that it wasn't exactly a well practiced process yet... Add's weight to the agent saying I was one of the first to order, in my mind, anyways...

Either way, I ordered on the day of the commercial launch; and was installed 3 days later - there's no reason why Rogers should have a 3 week backorder on a promo item on a new product launch...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

According to the call centre, I was among the first to order; and I was the first live service installed in the Barrie area, according to my installer - there were 2 previous "test" installs... And there's a 2-3 week back-order for the extender. So I guess Rogers had next to none in stock to start with?

The "PVR-extender" (aka: branded external hard drive) is not a new product. The backlog may have nothing to do with the whole home PVR roll-out.

Not stocking up on them if they're a promo item attached to that roll-out is foolish, though.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
The "PVR-extender" (aka: branded external hard drive) is not a new product. The backlog may have nothing to do with the whole home PVR roll-out.

Ummmm, yes it is. Its an newer model. Hence why the Rogers website doesnt have any until after april. its not the old extender, this is a new one. so, it is a new product, or refreshed at least.

zo786

join:2012-01-19
Toronto, ON
reply to LazMan
So I had the guys come to my house last week. Booked a day to work from home and the guy came at 10:30am, left my house just before three.

First thing was, the guy was not clear on what i had requested done. Second, he had none of the MoCal filters required so set up the boxes and then called around to find a tech in the area that had one. Came back an hour later with his supervisor.

Got it all set up and the HD PVR wouldn't update with the new software. Meanwhile he had to do some rewiring so that internet and home phone weren't on the same network.

Basically everything was set up but the PVr wouldn't update. The tech guys were real nice, the problem is this thing wasn't ready, they were given one process, the centers were given a different process meanwhile glitches were still coming up during install that was changing the process.

I finally got the update later that night and it's working. Only problem is the slowness of the guide in reacting. I also don't like the inability to pause live tv on the non-pvr box.

Newmarket_JT

@rogers.com
I had an almost identical experience last week.

1st technician replaced 2 of my boxes but seemed to have no idea what Whole Home PVR even was. After nearly an hour getting bounced around to various folks on the phone it was determined that the MoCa filter wasn't installed and that the "Whole Home PVR" was not added to my account yet.

A few days later the 2nd technician came out and installed the filter and made sure I was ready, but he said he couldn't stick around til it worked because sometimes it takes 30 mins or more to start working.

After 60 minutes it still wasn't working so I called in and again there was mass confusion. Spent a full hour this time on the phone while a very nice customer service rep worked with a tech support guy to get things ready on their end. Shortly after that call things started looking up. I have 1 HD PVR and 2 HD boxes...1 HD box was talking to the PVR and the other one isn't, and that's where I am today.

I also agree with the comments on the new IPG:
1. It's painfully slow sometimes
2. The FAV button used to advance to your next favourite channel, but now it just brings up a guide to browse all your favourites. Really hope they revert to the old behaviour soon. The FAV button used to be the primary way I browsed.
3. Not being able to pause/rewind live TV on the 4642 boxes is frustrating. I actually gave up my extra PVR boxes thinking this was going to work since the Whole Home PVR advertising says "Pause rewind and play live TV any time you want." and doesn't include any footnotes about it being only on the PVR box itself. I think I'll be replacing one of my 4642 boxes with a PVR since I use this feature all the time.

Overall, I am regretting my decision to be an early adopter. This launch was clearly premature.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
Still no joy at this end - I actually don't mind the new IPG - seems to work alright... Not super speedy, but I find it usable.

The whole-home portion of the PVR still doesn't work; and I'm finding some oddities on the PVR itself - the "jump-back" button is very delayed; and had some odd behavior when trying to switch between live and recorded programs - things like no sound, or the live program being in slow-motion.

I kind of feel bad for the Roger's guy that called me the other day, to ask how I was enjoying my new services... I was nice, I just suggested he read the notes on my account, and then decide if he really wanted to ask that question... After a few seconds of silence, he appologized for the issues I was having, hoped it would be resolved soon, and made a hasty goodbye...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by LazMan:

Still no joy at this end

How much is this costing you? From what I can see on the Rogers web site this is not a cheap service --- New PVR etc. and its not working correctly? Maybe you should ask for compensation -- like 6 months free until they fix this properly. For the money they are asking it sounds completely botched up.

The Tech is not NEW --- its been in use in the USA for 3 years --- Rogers are not leveraging the vast experience available through the USA.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

RogersDarrel

join:2011-09-30
reply to LazMan
Hi @LazMan, @zo786 and @Newmarket_JT

My name is RogersDarrell. I'd like to confirm if everything is now okay with your Whole Home PVR network.

I've sent you PMs when able to. Please let me know via PM

Thanks! @RogersDarrell

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
RogersDarrel - PM sent...

mozerd - I'm less concerned with compensation, at this point - I want it working... After we make it work, then we can make it right... The actual cost of the service is compariable to what I was paying before - it's more the time that's been spent resetting boxes, being bounced between departments, and generally wasted, that's bothering me.

Newmarket_JT

join:2012-03-06
Newmarket, ON
reply to RogersDarrel
Hi,

PM sent. Thanks for asking

Things still aren't completely working for me. 3rd technician visit in a week scheduled for Thursday night to figure out why only one of my 4246 boxes is working. And yeah the utter confusion about the service is very disappointing. I spent a full 60 minutes on the phone on Sunday and that was the 3rd or 4th call in as many days.

Later...
Jeff

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
Alright - we have several new developments...

It works. There was new software loaded overnight; and the whole-home functions are finally enabled... Checked it this morning before work, and it's good.

Also, have a package from Rogers waiting for pickup at UPS today - I'm guessing the new PVR extender (although, if they sent me a tablet, to make up for headaches, I wouldn't complain... hint-hint-hint )

Still not impressed with the roll-out; but at least it appears to be working now - that's a big step.

LuckyLuc

Newmarket, ON
reply to LazMan
I live in Newmarket and I'm also having some issue with this whole home pvr. Tomorrow, going to have a 3rd in home visit and hopefully will get someone that knows what they are doing. So far, the 2 rep that came to my house didn't look like they have a clue on what they were doing. The last one, I notice that he used a splitter with the filter and connected the 2 cable connected to the Cisco box. I didn't realized what was done till he left. This mean that in the future, if I would of purchased a new HD box, it wouldn't of been able to connect to the other boxes.

I was also talking to technical support yesterday and they mention that the cable modem is also part of the solution. Not sure if that is true or not but if it is, isolating the 2 cable for the Cisco box to the cable modem cable would be a silly thing to do....

zo786

Toronto, ON
Alright, I seem to be having a new issue with my 8642 box. So
I record shows on the 8642 and it seems to be the shows are not showing up on 'My List' on that box but I can view it on the 4642 that's connected. Every morning for the past two days, the PVR box states there's no recordings available???? WTF??????

zo786

Toronto, ON
reply to LuckyLuc
said by LuckyLuc:

I live in Newmarket and I'm also having some issue with this whole home pvr. Tomorrow, going to have a 3rd in home visit and hopefully will get someone that knows what they are doing. So far, the 2 rep that came to my house didn't look like they have a clue on what they were doing. The last one, I notice that he used a splitter with the filter and connected the 2 cable connected to the Cisco box. I didn't realized what was done till he left. This mean that in the future, if I would of purchased a new HD box, it wouldn't of been able to connect to the other boxes.

I was also talking to technical support yesterday and they mention that the cable modem is also part of the solution. Not sure if that is true or not but if it is, isolating the 2 cable for the Cisco box to the cable modem cable would be a silly thing to do....

From what I understand, the Cable Modem and Rogers Home Phone cannot be on the same network as the connected PVR's. That's why they split the line and sort of create a cable network for the boxes to talk to each other. And the MoCa Filter is what stops the signal from going back out the other way further than your house.

Newmarket_JT

Newmarket, ON
reply to LuckyLuc
Third time was the charm for me. The tech that just left was awesome (Paul O.). He found that the previous techs had not isolated the systems onto 1 network and put the MoCA filter in the wrong place. He explained everything and waited around for everything to reboot to make sure it all worked (1 HD PVR talking to 2 other HD boxes).

Also i happened to be awake at 2am last night and noticed that I got a software update. Since then the IPG seems much faster.

At this point my only nits are:
* Not being able to pause/rewind from any TV but the one with the PVR. Even if it makes perfect sense technically why that would be the case, I still think the advertising on this is misleading.
* Same goes for the claim in the advertising of being able to "Pause a show in one room and continue watching it in another". That only works if you're starting from the PVR system.
And then various things with the IPG/software:
* FAV button not advancing to your next FAV channel.
* Not hiding channels you don't have access to when viewing the guide or advancing channels
* Basic features that used to be there like "Sleep Timer"

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan
I also got the update last night, quite problematic though. One 4642 got the update just fine. The update on one 4246 and a 8642 resulted in many blank (black screen only) channels after the update was installed and the STBs restarted. The problem went away after an hour on the 4642 but remained on the 8642 until I forced a hard reboot today. The version is still 3.0.0.1519 btw.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
OK - as I previously mentioned, my services are now working; but to add insult to injury, I just recieved my Rogers bill, complete with almost $250 in "account charges"

2 installation fees (for one tech visit?!?) @ 49.95
a lost hardware charge of $99 for an SD box I still have?
a $20 early cancellation fee, for services I still have?

I called CS this morning, and the charges were all fixed - but really, Rogers? Everything about this has been a sad joke...

And if anyone from Rogers actually reads and responds to these threads, please let me know... "RogersDarrel" logged on exactly once, and hasn't been back since he posted is messages looking to help...

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
A letter I just sent off to Roger's Customer Service inbox...

-----------
Good Day,

I'm writing in regards to my experience in trying to get the Nextbox 2.0 whole-home PVR installed and activated...

I know new product launches don't always go smoothly; but this has been a sad joke, to say the least. I can't fault any Rogers employee - to the contrary, every one I've deal with has been good, and several have been exceptional - but the overall experience has still been disappointing.

It began with the ordering process - the woman I spoke with, while helpful, continued to put me on hold, while clarifying parts of the process, and how to navigate the order system; but eventually, the order was in, and an install date set.

The installer was excellent - the physical portion of the work went well, and was done quickly; however, he was easily 2 hours on the phone with his support desk, trying to get the new PVR to take the software update... The answer from the support desk was repeatedly "change the box" - finally, after 3.5 hours on site, the tech was told that the software would be pushed out overnight... Without the new software, the whole home PVR portion wasn't enabled.

The next day, I recieved an automated call, saying the "issue I had reported was resolved" - the software update was indeed completed, but the whole home portion still didn't work - I spent well over an hour being transferred from customer service, to tech support, to tier 2 support, to engineering, back to customer service - all of them unable to enable the software code that was apparently missing from my account, to enable the function. Finally, a tech support manager (name removed) - called, and informed me that he would be working on it, and would be in touch in several days...

The next day, I recieved a voicemail that the PVR extender, which is part of the promotion, was back ordered, and would arrive by courier in serveral weeks. (it showed up this week - well ahead of the 2-3 weeks quoted on the phone).

The following day, I recieved a call from a customer service agency, asking how satisified I was with my Rogers services - I suggested they review my file, that this wasn't the best time to ask me that question...

Finally, I got a call back from (TS manager) advising the service was now active; which I then tested, and it was...

Imagine my surprise this morning, when I opened my Rogers e-bill, and saw almost $250 in charges, related to this... 2 installation charges (there was only ever one tech visit, on the Monday afternoon) - an early cancellation fee, a lost hardware fee? (CSR) in customer service was very helpfull in correcting the charges in error; but still...

I've been satisfied with the Rogers services I've had for years - I work in a technical field myself, and understand new product launches aren't always as smooth as we hope; but at every turn, there's been "something" with this install... It's been frustrating, it's taken my time, and of more concern to you, it's hurt my image of Rogers...

I just thought you should have a customer's perspective...

(name removed)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to LazMan
You know with the supposed testing they did, you would think that they would have training for the Installers (I don't care if they are contractors, they represent Rogers), the CSR's and all the others involved.

This wreaks of incompetence, and Lazman you should definitely get something in compensation for the inconvenience.

Now watch your next bill, you'll be charged for these new services from the day the tech first showed up,not when it finally begins to work.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

zo786

Toronto, ON
reply to LazMan
Ofcourse the guy hasn't been back, he met his quota for searching social media and forums and posted a response saying contact me and then went offline again.

Gotta love the way Rogers operates.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan
Wow, what a mess in the billing department. Just curious, did you order a Nextbox package or did you just have Rogers install and activate WHPVR?

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
I ordered a Nextbox package - I had HD-Digital VIP before, but had an older PVR and HD boxes that needed replaced to support the whole-home system.