share rss forum feed
« nzb-zone[BT] best site for books »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

nfixit2004
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Brooklyn, NY

What usenet service everyone using now?

Hello to all, Im out of the loop I been using uesnet for years now and for the last 2 years I have been using newshoting.com (unlimited account) and was wondering is there a better service out there that anyone would recommend? Im also using usenet explorer as a reader, and was wondering if there were better choices out there for a reader also.

thanks in advance, any help well appreciated

chaud
Serious Business

join:2004-07-09
Anderson, SC

»frugalusenet.com/ for $50/yr.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to nfixit2004

»www.news.astraweb.com/index.html new pricing plans.

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to nfixit2004

$9.99/mo for supernews (in reality giganews)

»www.supernews.com/super-special/

$10.19/mo for usenetnow

»usenetnow.net/woot.html

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to nfixit2004

nvm

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY

I need to add that both Newshosting and Blocknews took down the same files - are they related?

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

said by kingdome74:

I need to add that both Newshosting and Blocknews took down the same files - are they related?

Unless something major has changed the answer is no. Newshosting is Highwinds while Blocknews' provider is Readnews.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY

That's what I thought but I wanted to know for sure.

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO
reply to nfixit2004

I'm using.. xsusenet.. probably kick up some money though for giganews/powerusenet at some point soon though.. downloading at 1/40th my capable rate can be annoying..

unoriginal
Premium
San Diego, CA

If you are going to be using a giganews reseller you should go with supernews instead: »www.supernews.com/super-special/

$9.99/mo or $99/year

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to nfixit2004

Usenet.net - $9.99 (Giganews backbone)
»www.usenet.net/usenet-deals/

Newshosting - $9.99 (Highwinds backbone)
»www.newshosting.com/partners/

Ngroups.NET - $9.99 (Readnews backbone)
»ngroups.net/external/ngr/

GIBInews - 3,50€ (Unknown backbone)
»gibinews.eu/

All of these providers are over 1200 days retention and under $10 a month. GIBInews is under $5.

Bark

join:2006-03-19
Grand Junction, CO

^ It looks like you're spending $35/month but I'm afraid to ask why.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to nfixit2004

Astraweb with blocknews for a filler servier. Seems to work ok. You kind of need a fill server these days (with all the dmca takedown notices).

unoriginal
Premium
San Diego, CA

1 edit
reply to Bark

said by Bark:

I would disagree. I think that shwatkin is merely pointing out cheap deals and the company that they resell. Since only Astraweb and Giganews actually own and run their servers. Everyone else is merely a reseller of those two, Highwinds or Readnews.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to nfixit2004

just Astraweb for me I'm happy no issues.

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to Bark

said by Bark:

As unoriginal already stated, I was merely pointing out some good deals for people. I personally use Ngroups.NET as my primary usenet provider and have GIBInews as a cheap backup service.

I know lots of people have preferences of one provider over another but I personally think that any provider on a good backbone (resold or not) will serve you well. Doesn't matter if its Giganews, Highwinds, Readnews or Astraweb. Pick the one that gives you the best deal and stick with them. When I signed up for Ngroups over 5 years ago they had 100 days of retention. Over the years I have been rewarded for my patience with great service and expanded features. Retention is now well over 1000 days (CRAZY!), they offer free unlimited online storage, free VPN access, free SSL and 30 connections for under $10. Pretty hard to beat. There was a time when SSL wasn't always free and connections were usually limited to 5-8 connections. I have seen them switch from Highwinds to Readnews and I honestly don't see the difference. I've used Supernews, Newshosting, Newsdemon, Easynews, Ngroups.NET, Giganews and Astraweb at one time or another but 5 years ago I got a great deal from Ngroups.NET and stuck with it.

Today we are honestly spoiled for choice of great providers offering service for less than $10 a month. Supernews, Newsdemon, Newshosting, UsenetServer, Easynews, Ngroups.NET, Usenet.net and probably many others. There is seriously, no wrong choice. These are all major players running off huge redundant backbones and offering 20 or more connections with free SSL and over 1000 days retention. Just pick one and stick with it. If you don't like it, switch, its that easy. The only reason I ever switched was for a better price, I never found the actual service from any provider to be lacking. I would honestly recommend every service I have used, they are all awesome for the money. Supernews, Newsdemon, Ngroups, GIBInews, Newshosting, all of them, great.

bryn987

join:2009-01-13
Antioch, TN
reply to nfixit2004

So, which service does not comply with DMCA notices? Been using usenet for a while and while they had perfect service, I've started having issues with items being taken down. So I switched to Astraweb last weekend and they are terrible; very horrible speeds.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

said by bryn987:

So, which service does not comply with DMCA notices? Been using usenet for a while and while they had perfect service, I've started having issues with items being taken down. So I switched to Astraweb last weekend and they are terrible; very horrible speeds.

None.

If you want to get away from DMCA notices get a newsgroup provider located in Asia or Europe only. There are plenty.

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to bryn987

said by bryn987:

There are some Dutch providers that might be what your looking for.

»www.sunnyusenet.com/

»xsusenet.com/

»www.hitnews.com

I've heard some good word of mouth about Sunnyusenet.

There retention isn't as high as others though. Most of them only have servers in Europe.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

Sunnyusenet is great.

unoriginal
Premium
San Diego, CA
reply to bryn987

said by bryn987:

Also consider a backup to your next main provider to cover any incompletes as well. I use usenetnow for my main source and a block account from astraweb for any missing bits. Between the two of them I can get just about anything I want.

Mister M

join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC
reply to nfixit2004

I still use the free usenet service. In over a decade of using binary newsgroups I've never paid for access, and I never will.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

Well it depends on how you use it and what your needs are. If you get what you want quickly when it gets posted then you don't need a paid service. However if you find yourself searching and getting stuff that was posted months ago then you definitely need to get paid access. Long retention rarely comes free.

Mister M

join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

said by decx:

Long retention rarely comes free.

~24 months retention is sufficient for me.

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB
reply to nfixit2004

I would avoid Highwinds
»Highwinds throttle?
--
»speedtest.net/result/1940600461.png

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to nfixit2004

It isn't a Highwinds issue, but rather an issue specific to certain Highwinds resellers.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to habskilla

said by habskilla:

I would avoid Highwinds
»Highwinds throttle?

not to mention HW censoring content.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY

It's getting tough to find a server that doesn't.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to dvd536

said by dvd536:

said by habskilla:

I would avoid Highwinds
»Highwinds throttle?

How the hell do they censor content?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by elwoodblues:

said by dvd536:

said by habskilla:

I would avoid Highwinds
»Highwinds throttle?

How the hell do they censor content?

They removed entire groups because just the group name sounded bad.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts