how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JGMACK

join:2002-04-20
Hollywood, FL

AT&T DSL Speed Settlement

Have any of you been informed by mail of a Class Action Settlement against AT&T involving the speed of your DSL service?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Is this the class action settlement to which you are referring?

»dslspeedsettlement.com/

If so, the Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, or Texas service location requirement would seem to exclude those getting service in the former BellSouth area from eligibility.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

JGMACK

Hollywood, FL
said by NetFixer:

»dslspeedsettlement.com/

[att=1]

If so, the Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, or Texas service location requirement would seem to exclude those getting service in the former BellSouth area from eligibility.

Yes

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by JGMACK:

said by NetFixer:

»dslspeedsettlement.com/

[att=1]

Yes

I just went back and looked at the actual terms, and it seems that the Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, or Texas service location requirement is for a separate, but related settlement.

However, since the practice of using a sync rate that would not allow the customer to reach the advertised speed rates was mostly practiced in the legacy SBC areas, probably not many customers in the legacy BellSouth area would qualify. I don't think that the most common reason for not being able to achieve anywhere near the advertised (or sync) speed in the legacy BellSouth area (congestion in the ATM interface) applies to this settlement.

OTOH, I may put my name in the basket anyway since it won't cost me anything to do it (and since I recently got a $105 class action settlement from Vonage, maybe I am on a lucky streak).

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:
Well, I guess that I am not eligible to submit a claim:

I have not received a bill credit or other refund from AT&T related to the speed of my DSL Service for which I am submitting this claim, and therefore I wish to receive payment under the Settlement.

I did get a 3 month rebate from AT&T when they shutdown my service.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

marcicanyah

@76.232.74.x
reply to JGMACK
I have DSL and it is slow. Back in April or May I up grated I thought to a higher speed That did not happen and am paying $10.00 more a month which I was told that I would get a rebate in less than 3months, didn't happen.

How do I get a form to fill out?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
said by marcicanyah :

I have DSL and it is slow. Back in April or May I up grated I thought to a higher speed That did not happen and am paying $10.00 more a month which I was told that I would get a rebate in less than 3months, didn't happen.

You can file a claim on-line at »dslspeedsettlement.com/ the same as you could have done the first time I posted the link.

Of course, just not getting the speed that you are paying for because your line won't support it does not qualify you to receive a payment from the settlement. Read the terms of the settlement carefully before filing a claim.

An obvious example of someone who would qualify for payment from this settlement would be a customer who paid for an advertised 1.5 mbps downstream service, but the max downstream sync rate for that service was actually 1.24 mbps.
--

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Hurley, MS
said by NetFixer:

said by marcicanyah :

You can file a claim on-line at »dslspeedsettlement.com/ the same as you could have done the first time I posted the link.

Of course, just not getting the speed that you are paying for because your line won't support it does not qualify you to receive a payment from the settlement. Read the terms of the settlement carefully before filing a claim.

An obvious example of someone who would qualify for payment from this settlement would be a customer who paid for an advertised 1.5 mbps downstream service, but the max downstream sync rate for that service was actually 1.24 mbps.

At the very beginning, fastaccess DSL was advertised at 1.5mbps, but had a sync rate of 1472.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by brandon:

At the very beginning, fastaccess DSL was advertised at 1.5mbps, but had a sync rate of 1472.

As I recall, the first BellSouth FastAccess DSL service I had was advertised as 1.5 mbps downstream, but my max downstream sync rate was ~1244 kbps (my realworld downstream speed was usually ~1000 kbps). That was in the previous century, so perhaps my recollection is wrong, but I am pretty sure that at that time the max downstream sync rate was ~1244 (but it would vary depending on the brand/model of the DSLAM), and was later raised to 1472 (but a 1472 downstream sync rate for a service advertised as 1.5 mbps is still a prime example of what prompted this particular lawsuit and settlement).
--

JGMACK

Hollywood, FL
reply to JGMACK
The card I got in the mail, said that I am included in a class action settlement involving my DSL service. I guess even if you did not get the same card, it would do no harm to submit a claim.

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium
join:2003-03-31
Hurley, MS
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by brandon:

As I recall, the first BellSouth FastAccess DSL service I had was advertised as 1.5 mbps downstream, but my max downstream sync rate was ~1244 kbps (my realworld downstream speed was usually ~1000 kbps). That was in the previous century, so perhaps my recollection is wrong, but I am pretty sure that at that time the max downstream sync rate was ~1244 (but it would vary depending on the brand/model of the DSLAM), and was later raised to 1472 (but a 1472 downstream sync rate for a service advertised as 1.5 mbps is still a prime example of what prompted this particular lawsuit and settlement).

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. Man, that was a long time ago. But this suit doesn't really apply to us in the Bellsouth region from what I can tell.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
I received a card in the mail yesterday. I briefly read it and don't recall it mentioning any specific region. I will have to look at the card again.
--
Not only does Jesus save, but he makes nightly off-site backups.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to brandon
said by brandon:

Man, that was a long time ago. But this suit doesn't really apply to us in the Bellsouth region from what I can tell.

According to the FAQ on the site, it not only covers former BellSouth customers, but since it goes back to 1994, it should apply to pre-assimilation BellSouth customers.

»dslspeedsettlement.com/faqs.htm

Who is included in the Settlement?

You are a Class Member if you are a current or former customer of AT&T and you paid for DSL Service from AT&T* between March 31, 1994 and January 27, 2012.

*AT&T for the purposes of this Settlement means (unless otherwise specified) all AT&T entities, subsidiaries, and affiliates, including their predecessor and successor entities, and related entities, that provided, marketed, sold, or billed for DSL Service in the United States including without limitation, any state or territory thereof during the Settlement Class Period, including but not limited to: SBC Internet Services, Inc., d/b/a AT&T Internet Services; BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc.; Pacific Bell Internet Services; Southwestern Bell Internet Services, Inc.; Ameritech Interactive Media Services, Inc.; SNET Diversified Group, Inc.; Prodigy Communications Corporation; and Oklahoma Internet Online.

The primary thing that is not clear to me is if legacy BellSouth customers who had adequate sync rates, but whose speed was limited by ATM throttling would be able to collect. I sort of suspect not, since AT&T is the party doing the qualification, and AT&T has never admitted doing that. OTOH, since BellSouth both before and after the assimilation did set the max sync rate lower than the advertised rate for 1.5 mbps service, those customers should be eligible for a refund (if they file a claim).
--

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to JGMACK
Bout F'ing time. This shit used to urk me to no end.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Cable, I think every provider I've had would over provision my lines.

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC
reply to NetFixer
I, too, recall sync rates in the 1200 range and d/l of around 1000 in the distant pass.

The sync rate on that Westell we were working on and the Motoroa modem it replaced is/was 1472 and it tests at 1300 Mbps. I have advertised 1500 Mbps service.

I was my understanding that overhead of 80% occurs on any DSL line so, even though that the sync is a bit low, the tested speed is exactly 80% of 1500 Mbps, the maximum possible for a 1500 sync.

FUD on ATT or confusion on me?

HazyShades

join:2001-03-26
Miami, FL
reply to JGMACK
I got that card. I got BS ADSL Fast Access in 2000, advertized at 1.5Mbps. Of course it's *never* been that fast but other than occasional network outages and loss of sync it usually worked well and measured at 1.2/200 which was acceptable.
Then SBC bought BS and typically my 1.5 tier pushes 800kbps.
The techs at the CO used to quote the "up to" part of the deal
and say that 750 kbps was acceptable to them.. Right.
I *have* been given "courtesy credits" (note ATT has never accepted an obligation to remedy) for lack of usable service
a couple of times and for having a connection speed below 400kbps for 6 days once, BUT I MAILED THE CARD ANYWAY because I don't think ATT has even come close to providing
the service they advertize and claim to provide.
The worst that could happen is that I get excluded from the class.