how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mrent

@23.17.83.x

[AB] Random latency spikes in Edmonton?

Hi,

I recently noticed that I have been getting large latency spikes for ~1 second or so, about every 10 seconds. I have ran ping loops using googles ip, various other server ip's (with geographic variance), and it keeps happening. My ping will go from ~60ms to over 200ms and sometimes timeouts.

Anyone else having this issue? Telus says its not on their end, so I have been running wireshark and cant find anything that could be the root cause of this phenomena. I have virus scanned, no viruses. I am grasping at straws here.

Any info on the possible cause or any info in general would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

voidspace

join:2011-12-22

1 edit
I have noticed this two or three days ago when gaming. Been getting a 400ms rise in ping for around 1 second. I've been playing on a certain server for a couple of months and not had this problem until couple of days ago.

Edit: I'm in Edmonton too.

2nd Edit: Server I have been playing on is in Australia, so the problem could be outside of telus network.

Mrent

@23.17.83.x
This is exactly what I am experiencing (started about 3-4 days ago for me as well). I am just happy its not on my end. I am starting to think its some kind of telus problem, possibly?

Anyway thank you for your prompt reply, very much appreciated!

voidspace

Last night it was pretty bad and I logged into my router around 9pm and the problem disappeared till 10:30pm when I stopped playing. Sure it was just a coincidence, same spiking has been happening all day today. I wish I had more information.

telusblows

join:2012-03-03
Yep I'm getting it to. I have two houses both with telus one in the grange one in grovner. Both are getting these horrible bs spikes. I called and the goof ball told me it was my bandwidth even though it was fine. He told me that he gave me more to fix the issue. Didn't do jack. Such a useless company to be honest.

Devin dB

@telus.net
reply to Mrent
yup.. same here. Been getting bad lag spikes all day starting last night... Bah... time to call telus..

telusblows

Devin after you call them can you post what they say please?

couttsj

join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC
reply to Mrent
Pings are not a very good test for latency, but if you choose your parameters carefully, they can be a reasonable indicator. You must choose a reliable destination with a reliable path. Unfortunately Google may not fall into that category. From my location it is 14 hops away, and beyond the Telus network. Pings that timeout can mean that the request never reached the destination, or that the destination was slow in responding. If it is the first case, it can often be a problem in the DSL network itself. To check for this, ping a reliable server within the Telus network with larger packets than the default. For example:
C:\>ping -n 20 -l 256 smtp.telus.net
Pinging smtp.svc.telus.net [199.185.220.249] with 256 bytes of data:
Reply from 199.185.220.249: bytes=256 time=58ms TTL=247
Minimum = 56ms, Maximum = 58ms, Average = 56ms
the difference between maximum and minimum should be no more than 5 ms, and there should be no timeouts. If the problem is beyond the Telus network, it is outside of the direct control of Telus.

telusblows

couttsj this is defiantly on telus's end 100%.
These spikes have only started to occur in the past 2-3 days.
Ping spiking on every game and ping on any website I have tried.
It is defiantly telus server side.

Sweigh

join:2011-11-20
T5Z 0E7
reply to Mrent
I am experiencing the same issue. Pinging smtp.telus.net and getting 8ms with spikes of 400-600ms and occasional timeouts. This is affecting all internet connections.

EdmTlsUsr

@telus.net
reply to telusblows
Just wanted to add my name to the list, I've been getting odd latency spikes for the last 2 or 3 days as well, also in Edmonton.

Sweigh

T5Z 0E7
reply to Mrent
Has anyone followed up with Telus on this issue? I'll be calling this afternoon to see if I can get some answers.

Mrent

@23.17.83.x
I will give them another call later on today in the evening, we will see how it goes.

Sweigh

T5Z 0E7
reply to Mrent
Well I had a nice long conversation with two Telus reps. The entire conversation consisted of explaining to them that it was not an issue within my internal network. It all boiled down to the fact that I have a problem, it wasn't their departments responsibility to fix it, and they don't know who would be responsible for it.

that being said, I have been running nonstop loops to monitor the spikes, and near the end of the conversation the spikes seem to have stopped. I'm gonna test with a bunch of source to confirm, but my guess is that the hardware was just taken off and I'm now properly being routed around the bad hop(s).

Are you guys still experiencing the spikes?

voidspace

I have been having bad spikes off and on today, 30 minutes ago it was bad, seem alright at the moment.

telusblows

I dont seem to have the spikes at the moment but if it starts today again ill most likely scream at them. If this many people are getting it and are consistently getting it it's server side. Also no other isp's are having this problem.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
You screaming at tech support will not get anything accomplished. The support agents can't do anything about random latency spikes. Now if your connection had errors on it there *might* be some things that can be done. If you do call in, act in a respectable manor for fastest results.

Sweigh

T5Z 0E7
reply to Mrent
I was polite and as succinct as I could have been, but it was clear that he wasn't able to help me. I thanked him anyway and said I would call in 24 hours if the problem hadn't fixed itself. It was good for about 2 hours and the spikes are back again now.

The most frustrating part of the ordeal is that it is so difficult to get Telus to acknowledge there is even an issue, as they don't see anything apparent on their end... Not sure who to talk to at this point..

Devin dB

@telus.net
reply to Mrent
I called them a couple days ago (going on nearly a week now, no fix) And everything looked "good" on their end.

I call bs. It magically started happening to every game I play and my NAT is open, (DMZ host even) and I didnt change a single setting prior.

Sigh... On a perhaps related note, my actiontec v1000h might be the problem. It seems broken. It constantly asks me to reinput my login information when accessing my gateway. Any ideas on that?