uniqs

bfreas
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

bfreas

Premium Member

DNS question, E3200

Just got this router last weekend to replace a dying Belkin. I've noticed that I'm getting big slowdowns on certain sites since the switch. On the Belkin I had changed the DNS to Google's public servers, but can't find a way to specify which servers to use on the E3200 (it has Comcast's servers showing, 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76). I'm thinking OpenDNS may be the best option, or maybe Treewalk (used it in my Win98 days). Is there a way to change servers in the router, and if I simply change it in my network adapter's settings will it override the router's settings? What's your recommendations for DNS?
bfreas

1 edit

bfreas

Premium Member

Forgot to mention, I'm using the 1.0.03 firmware.....

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 edit

aefstoggaflm to bfreas

Premium Member

to bfreas
said by bfreas:

Is there a way to change servers in the router?

Yes.

#1 Go to the current LAN IP of the router with your web browser. Default LAN IP is 192.168.1.1

#2 Log-in as need be. No User name and password is admin by default, if I recall correctly.

#3 Say ok to the alert that, this will disable Cisco Connect (or what ever that Desktop tool is called).

#4 In the router at Setup -> Basic Setup, you will notice Static DNS. For example Static DNS 1.

#5 In the Static DNS field(s), type in the DNS Servers that you want to use.

#6 Save/Apply your settings.
said by bfreas:

If I simply change it in my network adapter's settings will it override the router's settings?

Since this router is not running third party firmware like DD-WRT OR Tomato, yes.

DD-WRT and Tomato fimware are not only example(s) of Third party firmware, they are also firmware where you can prevent users from using any other DNS Server(s) outside of your network - other than ones that you listed in your router.

Please note - I am NOT saying that:

#1 Your router can run third party firmware.

#2 You should consider installing and using third party firmware for your router.

#3 What third party firmware to use.

--

** If your router can support third party firmware: That would be up to you which one to use and before installing you can ask what people what they think. **

--

#4 That only DD-WRT and Tomato are the only third party firmware(s) with a feature that can prevent users from using any other DNS Server(s) that are outside of your network - other than ones that you listed in your router.
said by bfreas:

What's your recommendations for DNS?

#1 I am not sure of what you mean, but in the meantime as I wait for your reply to tell me what you meant: I can recommend something to you.

I would recommend using the tool that is addressed on »www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

#2 Did you mean use a DNS Server:

a) Outside of your network (Like OpenDNS) ?

b) Your own DNS Server (like Treewalk, DNS Bind) that is not outside of your network ?

bfreas
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

1 recommendation

bfreas

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply aefstoggaflm.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not a constant tweaker, but more of a person who likes to set up my network one time in an efficient manner and forget about it. When I get a new piece of hardware sometimes I overlook the obvious before asking questions, and the entry for the DNS is fairly obvious now that you've pointed it out

I did try DD-WRT and settled on Tomato when I had my WRT54G before I had the Belkin, so I am familiar with both. If I can achieve what I need with the OEM firmware I'll probably leave it on at least until the warranty expires.

I'm assuming that Treewalk would be better than relying on external DNS, I just didn't know if anyone was still using it since I've read some reports on possible security issues. What do you use for DNS?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

quote:
Thanks for the reply

You are welcome.
quote:
If I can achieve what I need with the OEM firmware I'll probably leave it on at least until the warranty expires.

Not a problem and I don't blame you.
quote:
I'm not a constant tweaker, but more of a person who likes to set up my network one time in an efficient manner and forget about it.

In my case: Sort of the same thing, but I tend to keep my network secure. For example if a security issue comes out, I mgiht have to address it.
quote:
What do you use for DNS?

Right now, external DNS provided by my ISP. That is not say, that I will not use another DNS Server in the future...
quote:
I'm assuming that Treewalk would be better than relying on external DNS, I just didn't know if anyone was still using it since I've read some reports on possible security issues.

Unknown too but I can tell that, all DNS Servers have security issue(s).

Where by all DNS Servers, I mean External and Internal.

Of course by Internal DNS Server, this usually for example means one installed on a computer behind a router.

--

Here is some info from en.wikipedia.org with a comparison of DNS server software.

For ICS Bind for Windows (must have at least Windows XP) »alex.charrett.com/bind-o ··· inmenu-3

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to bfreas

to bfreas
I personally recommend using Comcast's own DNS servers as they are already part of the infastructure that your IP address is connected to plus they're pretty damn fast in my opinion and I honestly haven't had any trouble with it in the past 7 years. In regards to changing yout network adapters address settings, your best bet is to just change it in the router and it will automatically change it to all of your computers through DHCP.

Here is a mockup of the web interface of your router »ui.linksys.com/files/E32 ··· /1.0.00/ try it out so your comfortable doing the changes before you actually enter the real router's controls.
cOOLguy
join:2009-09-10
Suncook, NH

cOOLguy to bfreas

to bfreas
Some of us on Cablevision had to stop using opendns because the routing connected us to a box in singapore. So ping ur dns server to see if thats the issue.