·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to BiggA

MVM

to BiggA

Re: Dumb users

Well, they may be behind, but it might also be because people are looking for simple things, nothing that requires more than what is needed. I guess DSL covers that base nicely. No router or ONT to deal with.

I have several relatives that have FiOS, and there's no correlation to what they get based on their age. They either get Cable if it's available, FiOS if it's available or DSL if they absolutely must get it. Price isn't really an issue for them as they simply want something fast, as they know that when everyone comes over to visit they will probably bring something to entertain them on the Internet.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

No matter what you have, you have to have a modem and a router, and the ONT is just a modem that's permanently mounted.

Just because there's one person in a household doesn't mean they should have crappy bandwidth. One person still needs good bandwidth.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

3Mps is not crappy bandwidth if it is all you need. I gave up my DSL because of the price increase in my cable bill. Getting RR through Time Warner on a triple play wound up cheaper than my cable alone would have been. Otherwise I would still be very happy with my 3Mps DSL.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to BiggA

MVM

to BiggA
I understand and fully agree, which was why I made my statement. Many of the DSL modems can have their router functions shut off, and even if they do, they often have only one port so users don't connect additional devices to them already. My own experience with the router in a Westell modem from Verizon is that they work, but if you throw torrents at them the modem will load down a little bit.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA

Madness

I'm still on 3Mb VZDSL. While I'd love FIOS, there's none to be had. Yet, a friend in adjacent Braintree is rocking on it!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

You can't get cable? Cable now is most often around 12-15mbps on the lowest tier. Comcast is pretty solid, they have a tier that's reasonably priced (maybe $65 bundled) that's like ~24mbps down. The downside to cable is the uploads aren't that great, although they are a lot better than they were a few years back.

@norbert26: They don't have to install stuff on your computer, and you can use your own router, in a variety of different configurations with or without theirs (although you have to use theirs at some level if you use their STBs. you could go all on your own with cablecard DVR(s) and your own router though). You also have the advantage that if you really want to be annoyed at them installing, Comcast has had to make massive improvements in FIOS areas, and cable is all self-install except for multi-room DVR, which is them screwing a little filter on the main splitter.

All providers have promotional deals. I can only dream of having FIOS access. If I move to the Boston area, one of the criteria (not 100% absolute, but a factor) when picking a place will be the availability of VZ FIOS.
« Makes Sense
This is a sub-selection from Dumb users